10 day solo backcountry insanity

Muleyslayer14

I am prepping for a 10 day solo backcountry archery mule deer hunt. I intend on making a quick out & back trip around day 5 to refuel and clean up. I have done 4 days solo many times, sanity seems to start slipping around day 3 or 4 for me.

How are you guys keeping your head in the game? What’re a few (lightweight) amenities you guys recommend?

loggerchas

Kindle Paperwhite with a few audible books and e-books loaded keeps me entertained and from going stir crazy. 7 Days was no issue last year with that setup. Similarly, a lightweight notebook allows me to journal, sketch, make lists of what I need to leave/bring also helps pass the time.

OP
Muleyslayer14

Muleyslayer14

Two great pieces of advice, @loggerchas and @Lawnboi. I am doing a scouting trip up there this coming weekend, maybe I will take and stash some food any recommendations on how to do this best? Was thinking mtn houses and a change of clothes in a trash bag.

5MilesBack

I'd pay good money to be able to be left alone for 10 days in a row😂
Exactly. I spent a month in BC fly fishing by myself. I literally saw more bears on that trip than people when I was away from towns........which was most of the month. Man, what an awesome trip. And I cherish my solo elk hunts, but it's rare that I don't see people almost every day, regardless where I'm hunting.

907to406

Two great pieces of advice, @loggerchas and @Lawnboi. I am doing a scouting trip up there this coming weekend, maybe I will take and stash some food any recommendations on how to do this best? Was thinking mtn houses and a change of clothes in a trash bag.
Buy a small roll up style dry bag and some P-cord. We've left mountain house/dry food stashes for some extended periods with zero issues. Except for one time a pine martin got into my brothers bag but he left it there through winter and summer.

Tony Trietch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I start to miss my lady as soon as I leave the house but my time alone in the mountains is where I keep my sanity. Stay focused on what you are after and you won't even notice how many days you are out there.

sagebuster

Score early and go home is the only way I've found to defeat the tenth day blahs. Tenth day and I haven't scored and I quit brushing my teeth, throw away my pocket mirror, start tearing into the peanut butter cups like neverquit. But, like him, I never quit. The older you get, the more ways you learn to deal with it. Buffalo Trace in my coffee helps a lot

Jaden Bales

Dude I packed a big ol dessert from Trailtopia on a 3 day solo trip last weekend and though it's not comparable to 10 days, man was it a morale booster!

OP
Muleyslayer14

Muleyslayer14

Good info guys especially @Pacific_Fork haha

I have done 4 days before and been alright but I know my mind wonders more and I start coming up with reasons to head back that I would never even consider on day one. I feel more confident and prepared this year than I ever have, hopefully that and some reading, and inreaching the wife will keep me going. Thanks