10 day solo backcountry insanity

Muleyslayer14

Lil-Rokslider
I am prepping for a 10 day solo backcountry archery mule deer hunt. I intend on making a quick out & back trip around day 5 to refuel and clean up. I have done 4 days solo many times, sanity seems to start slipping around day 3 or 4 for me.

How are you guys keeping your head in the game? What’re a few (lightweight) amenities you guys recommend?

Kindle Paperwhite with a few audible books and e-books loaded keeps me entertained and from going stir crazy. 7 Days was no issue last year with that setup. Similarly, a lightweight notebook allows me to journal, sketch, make lists of what I need to leave/bring also helps pass the time.

OP
Muleyslayer14

Muleyslayer14

Lil-Rokslider
Two great pieces of advice, @loggerchas and @Lawnboi. I am doing a scouting trip up there this coming weekend, maybe I will take and stash some food any recommendations on how to do this best? Was thinking mtn houses and a change of clothes in a trash bag.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'd pay good money to be able to be left alone for 10 days in a row😂

Exactly. I spent a month in BC fly fishing by myself. I literally saw more bears on that trip than people when I was away from towns........which was most of the month. Man, what an awesome trip. And I cherish my solo elk hunts, but it's rare that I don't see people almost every day, regardless where I'm hunting.

907to406

Lil-Rokslider
Two great pieces of advice, @loggerchas and @Lawnboi. I am doing a scouting trip up there this coming weekend, maybe I will take and stash some food any recommendations on how to do this best? Was thinking mtn houses and a change of clothes in a trash bag.

Buy a small roll up style dry bag and some P-cord. We've left mountain house/dry food stashes for some extended periods with zero issues. Except for one time a pine martin got into my brothers bag but he left it there through winter and summer.

sagebuster

Lil-Rokslider
Score early and go home is the only way I've found to defeat the tenth day blahs. Tenth day and I haven't scored and I quit brushing my teeth, throw away my pocket mirror, start tearing into the peanut butter cups like neverquit. But, like him, I never quit. The older you get, the more ways you learn to deal with it. Buffalo Trace in my coffee helps a lot

Dude I packed a big ol dessert from Trailtopia on a 3 day solo trip last weekend and though it's not comparable to 10 days, man was it a morale booster!

OP
Muleyslayer14

Muleyslayer14

Lil-Rokslider
Good info guys especially @Pacific_Fork haha

I have done 4 days before and been alright but I know my mind wonders more and I start coming up with reasons to head back that I would never even consider on day one. I feel more confident and prepared this year than I ever have, hopefully that and some reading, and inreaching the wife will keep me going. Thanks