10 day solo backcountry insanity

OP
Muleyslayer14

Muleyslayer14

Lil-Rokslider
A big fat Wendy’s cheeseburger always creeps into my mind the last few miles, seems I cover country

njdoxie

WKR
I'd pay good money to be able to be left alone for 10 days in a row

Durn straight, I take an occasional rest day to organize camp, relax, glass from camp, nap, rethink strategies, then I’m raring to go again. I’m able to glass my honey hole 100 yds from camp, so I don’t feel like I’m wasting a day at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

njdoxie

WKR
Dude I packed a big ol dessert from Trailtopia on a 3 day solo trip last weekend and though it's not comparable to 10 days, man was it a morale booster!

I require a dessert every night, it’s either banana bread, pumpkin bread or blueberry bread, I keep it submerged in the icy stream so it keeps fine.

Osprey

Lil-Rokslider
Find some big Muley bucks that should keep your head in the game 😉

In all seriousness though the more you hunt solo the easier it becomes. The hardest part especially when you havent hunted 7 plus days solo before is probably when it's tough hunting and still keeping a positive attitude and hunting hard 7 plus straight days. Its not for everyone that's for sure. I enjoy the physical and mental challenges of solo trips.

Last edited:

Mattt

Lil-Rokslider
Apparently there is something really wrong with me. 10 days not a problem alone other than finding food

Small cache of snickers bars and reese’s Cups. Also a lightweight notebook and pen to journal your experiences. You can pack in a couple magazines too if you have room/ weight. I read and reread the same magazine multiple times. As weird as it sounds it’s a morale booster and gives your brain a task.

Marble

WKR
Small cache of snickers bars and reese’s Cups. Also a lightweight notebook and pen to journal your experiences. You can pack in a couple magazines too if you have room/ weight. I read and reread the same magazine multiple times. As weird as it sounds it’s a morale booster and gives your brain a task.
That's actually really good advice for me. I don't mind the solitude, but I'm very food driven and enjoy reading. So im going to take that advice and make a food store in the middle of my area. Bring either a kiss lamour or loaf some books onto my kindle app on my phone.

As far as mountain house meals...I've changed to back packers pantry. Food seems better, lower sodium I beleive, great nutrition and they taste good. I'm one of those that find a great deal of satisfaction in good food.

Last year I submerged a decent size junk of back strap from my bull in CO in a steam for the first 3 days. My partner didn't know I brought it, but was thoroughly happy when I got it out.

I have no issues with being alone for 10 days on a remote hunt, in fact, some of my partnered up hunts I wished I’d gone solo. I always bring a paperback book to read in the evenings while drinking a cocktail before bed. That with a couple Ibuprofen, after hiking all day, usually helps me to get a good nights sleep before doing it all over again.

Rich M

WKR
Good info guys especially @Pacific_Fork haha

I have done 4 days before and been alright but I know my mind wonders more and I start coming up with reasons to head back that I would never even consider on day one. I feel more confident and prepared this year than I ever have, hopefully that and some reading, and inreaching the wife will keep me going. Thanks

That's about how long my dad's buddies used to make it - 3 or 4 days and then gone. We usually base camp hunt so not like a solo thing.

Is it the lack of game, lack of company, boredom? I'm curious.

That's actually really good advice for me. I don't mind the solitude, but I'm very food driven and enjoy reading. So im going to take that advice and make a food store in the middle of my area. Bring either a kiss lamour or loaf some books onto my kindle app on my phone.

As far as mountain house meals...I've changed to back packers pantry. Food seems better, lower sodium I beleive, great nutrition and they taste good. I'm one of those that find a great deal of satisfaction in good food.

Last year I submerged a decent size junk of back strap from my bull in CO in a steam for the first 3 days. My partner didn't know I brought it, but was thoroughly happy when I got it out.
Nothing better than a great surprise food on the mountain! Especially blackstrap over an open fire. Sign me up!

OP
Muleyslayer14

Muleyslayer14

Lil-Rokslider
That's about how long my dad's buddies used to make it - 3 or 4 days and then gone. We usually base camp hunt so not like a solo thing.

Is it the lack of game, lack of company, boredom? I'm curious.

For me it’s usually lack of company, and the boring mid day lull depending on stalks and camp choirs that day. I find myself start missing many things like my family or the amenities we take for granted. Comfortable bed, ice cold beverages, greasy junk food, sitting on a real chair.

I consider myself pretty mentally strong but boredom weighs on me heavily. I know my weaknesses and work on them constantly, hints this conversation. I know most hunters don’t enjoy solo hunting for many reasons to each their own. I also know and see many of the benefits of going alone.

I intend on bringing reading entertainment this year as well as a few “treats” to help. I also upgraded my sleep system to something that allows me to actually rejuvenate oppose to suffer each night.

jspradley

WKR
About 5 days in I use my inreach to txt my woman what color panties she is wearing....They say you should hunt hungry, I say hunt horny.

Longest I've been in the field is 8 days straight, which was coincidentally the longest I'd been without...umm...coming to fruition since I first discovered the joy as a wee lad. I was certainly hunting horny those last few days. Lol!

podcasts seem to do the trick for me lately, not only on the drive out there but each day while in the backcountry i listen to a couple hours of podcasts. no shortage to choose from these days too..

Rich M

WKR
For me it’s usually lack of company, and the boring mid day lull depending on stalks and camp choirs that day. I find myself start missing many things like my family or the amenities we take for granted. Comfortable bed, ice cold beverages, greasy junk food, sitting on a real chair.

I consider myself pretty mentally strong but boredom weighs on me heavily. I know my weaknesses and work on them constantly, hints this conversation. I know most hunters don’t enjoy solo hunting for many reasons to each their own. I also know and see many of the benefits of going alone.

I intend on bringing reading entertainment this year as well as a few “treats” to help. I also upgraded my sleep system to something that allows me to actually rejuvenate oppose to suffer each night.

Thanks, I can hunt hard for only about 10 days each year, after that it isn't in me. You know yourself, that's great.

I'm sure it will work out.

OP
Muleyslayer14

Muleyslayer14

Lil-Rokslider
podcasts seem to do the trick for me lately, not only on the drive out there but each day while in the backcountry i listen to a couple hours of podcasts. no shortage to choose from these days too..

I enjoy podcasts through the work week constantly. My concern would be battery life of everything. (How 21st century of me) I know it’s going to derail the thread a bit but do you or anyone have a battery charging solution that actually works reliably?