10 Days To Get Into Sheep Shape. What to do???

Black ice

FNG
You're a lot closer than what i had in mind when opening this thread lol.
I would focus on stretching and getting your feet ready, throw in some cardio for giggles. If you're strength is gtg i wouldn't worry about the pack at this point which i think you alluded to.
What mountain range/species are you hunting?

WKR
Great reason to maintain a year around level of physical conditioning. I should mountain bike some myself. I tend to walk about 4 miles fast most days. Today we did 8 miles at 11,000 feet plus in elevation with light packs. Felt pretty good. I figure if I kill a sheep the pain will be worth it getting it out. I start in two weeks and I'm planning on shooting my bow, doing 4 mile walks and avoiding any types of injury/ailments. Good luck to the OP.

MTNHUNTER76

Lil-Rokslider
I do step ups on a bench or box for 3-5 minutes, no pack. Rest as much as needed in the 3-5min window. I repeat this process for 3 sets. Hike with weighted pack to get your body acclimated with extra weight. I walk up and down a big bayou, no mountains/hills around. Stretching as much as possible will help also.

HUNTNUT

FNG
Like others have said, don’t hurt yourself. You will not be able to gain much by pushing yourself for a few days. Unless you have the feet of a billy goat and boots that were a gift from God, wear your boots every minute of every day. If you are in shape, your feet will be the only thing that might be a problem. Kinda stupid comment but check your toenails and make sure they are in good shape. If not, take the time to cut them perfectly (spoken from experience). Next, have a great time!!!

Hydrate, hydrate and hydrate some more. I’d go to a stretch lab for five days also. I’d walk lots of miles to get my feet conditioned but nothing else is going to give you something you don’t already have in that amount of time

Good luck

kscowboy01

Lil-Rokslider
You able to get into LSU's stadium and climb stairs? That would be my recommendation to go kick your but in the stadium every other day before your flight with a weighted pack and your boots. That'll get you in decent shape.

dallen

Lil-Rokslider
Just keep putting one foot in front of the other and don’t quit. Fortitude trumps everything.
Except when it comes to sheep hunting in Alaska. I took guys out that were tough mentally but lacking physically. After about day 3, they’re done. I took one guy that had gone through Ranger school. Mentally a never give up kind of guy, but he did not prepare physically. After two days of hitting it hard, he was puking from exhaustion. His body could just not hang with his will.

Except when it comes to sheep hunting in Alaska. I took guys out that were tough mentally but lacking physically. After about day 3, they’re done. I took one guy that had gone through Ranger school. Mentally a never give up kind of guy, but he did not prepare physically. After two days of hitting it hard, he was puking from exhaustion. His body could just not hang with his will.

I've experienced just the opposite when guiding mentally prepped sheep and goat hunters. But, none of that is a hard-fast rule. The guys who really seem to falter the most, are the overweight hunters who didn't bother to do anything in terms of stretching and cardio, and who also didn't wrap their mind around the concept of mountain hunting.

jzeblaz

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of great advice here, but here's mine. "The hay is already in the barn." Had a coach that would say that before events when I had this cram mentality. I'd focus on the stretching, yoga, relaxation, visualization and meditation if any of that is your bag. Get great sleep. It all helps and it sounds like you're in a good spot mentally and physically. Stay positive and soak up the experience and views. We're rooting for you and hope you'll share you're success with us down here upon your return.

So, what about this weather, eh? Snow in the Brooks Range, snow in the Alaska Range, snow in the Wrangells, snow in the Talkeetnas.

Haven't been able to fly ridges, passes, canyons and basins, since Saturday night. Really haven't been able to see crap, in terms of visual flight rules.

Got two resident sheep hunters currently camped out in the plane hangar, hoping that they can get in tomorrow, which is opening day of the general season. Crazy.

Gar

FNG
Sitting on the couch with a bowl of ice cream while watching Jane Fonda exercise videos works wonders this close to game day. 😎

JBrown1

Lil-Rokslider
I find it interesting that the majority of you seem to be saying “10 days isn’t enough to get into better shape. Don’t bother....”

I was rereading Tony Russ on the plane today and saw him mention something to the effect of “you won’t notice much gain in endurance until after your third day in the mountains...”

And if I remember correctly, Robert Marshal also said something similar.

Those two were/are pretty knowledgeable.

I find it interesting that the majority of you seem to be saying “10 days isn’t enough to get into better shape. Don’t bother....”

I was rereading Tony Russ on the plane today and saw him mention something to the effect of “you won’t notice much gain in endurance until after your third day in the mountains...”

And if I remember correctly, Robert Marshal also said something similar.

Those two were/are pretty knowledgeable.

True statement. No matter what you do to prepare for an extreme mountain hunt (elk, sheep, goats, bears, deer, whatever) it doesn't truly prepare you for what you're actually going to get into. My hunters say it all the time; "There's really nothing to prepare you for this shit". It's truly only when you're out there and humping the hills for a few days, that you actually start to get your mojo.

OP
R

RyanD16

FNG
I’ve experienced this on my goat hunt last year. After day 2 things started getting easier every day. By day 5 I was a machine. Yes, I was sore and tired every evening but bounced back every morning. The muscle strain/sweating during the hiking went away. That’s why I’m focusing on step ups and stairs. Best exercise closest to hunting IMO. Nowhere near the same but close.

Thanks again for all the comments

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Baton Rouge, LA.........I would drive over towards Gulfport and walk on the beach with a weighted pack and boots, where the sand is soft and unstable, so your boots slide out from under you a little bit when you step down. Find a lip where the waves at high tide washed sand out before receding.....if you cant find that, see if there are any dunes nearby. Think side hilling/traversing. That's the one thing I think is hardest to prepare for on the mountain, is walking in the rocks.....and it not being solid. Especially when it's just snowed and you don't really know what you are stepping on.

Last edited:

WCB

WKR
Honestly do what you have been and add a weighted pack hike in a every other day but nothing stupid. Just get familiar with the weight on your back again and get your stride down.

Cardio and leg burn. DAILY.

Eat lots of protein and lots of water. Stop all Tobacco/alcohol consumption.