10+ Mile Days

Jakerex

WKR
I see a ton of posts about people saying that they cover 10 or more miles a day, in the mountains. Is this for real or is this people walking a couple miles and grossly overestimating or exaggerating how much ground they actually cover? Especially with a 50lb pack on.

I remember back to last season where I climbed 1,500ft at 4:00am, glassed a bit, walked a bit, glassed a bit, napped a bit, and ended up back at camp at dark. All covering about 3 miles, and that was a big day.

I have a buddy that tells me every time he goes hunting that he walks like 10 miles, and then he tells me where was and it was more like 1 mile. He’s a tool…hahaha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bsnedeker

WKR
Depends on the day and the type of hunting you are doing. If I'm not finding elk I've easily put on 10+ miles in a day before just walking around trying to find some sign. Heck, I put in a 5+ mile morning in the mountains trying to find a gobble this Spring! If I have a good indication where the critters are I'm not usually putting on a ton of miles.

hobbes

WKR
It probably varies widely. I'm sure there are plenty of guys that don't, maybe even can't, do what they claim. However, 5 miles out and back (10 total) in a day isn't record breaking, but I sure as heck don't do it with a 50 lb pack every day.

I think it depends.

- Guy who knows his area, no need. A mile or two at best.

- Guy who doesn't, can't find elk, well, you're going to do that by covering ground.

10 miles is a long ways. I could see 3-5 out, and 3-5 back.

All I know is I should be in elk camp right now, but I have commitments can can't get out until Monday. Partner texted me, bugles behind camp! That's less than 500 yds.

Tilzbow

WKR
When I was in the best shape I’ve been in the past 20 years, hunting chukar hard and chasing my German Wirehairs all over the mountain I’d cover 11 to 13 miles, per my GPS, in a 6 hour day. That was 6 hours in very steep and rugged terrain, moving as fast as possible without injury and only taking a couple short 10 - 15 minute breaks. The dogs likely cover 5x or more country than I did.

At the rate I was moving I would’ve been completely ineffective at finding an elk.

Bl704

WKR
10+ miles in a day is not uncommon for me, depending on sign, sound, smell... If I find recent evidence of elk, I may move less... My pack is typically 10-15# if I'm doing a day trip or up to about 30#, if I'm doing a few days loop.

I recall one time we packed in 60# for about 6-7 miles with the intent of staying for the week.

Imho - staying ligh & mobile makes it easier, should you have to pack out. Know your limits, but also know what you truly must have/need.

I'm unlikely packing out an elk from 10 miles...Unless I'm hunting with a group or pack animals.

Poser

WKR
I’m gonna say that the majority (not the vast majority, but the majority) of people who make this claim are full of it. That being said, 10 miles can mean a lot of different things in different terrain. If you’re getting off trail in rough terrain, 3 miles can easily be a 8-10 hour day. I checked out a spot awhile back that took me 9 hours to get 6 miles (4,000 feet of climbing) using a patchwork of game trails. On a moderate trail, you can easily knock out 10 miles in 5 hours. But, if you are actually “hunting”, you aren’t knocking out miles, you are stopping , starting, listening, glassing, calling, evaluating and trying to be quiet.

Put this on the scale of UL thru hikers: 25-30 miles a day is dark to dark hiking with sub 25# packs, eating meals on the go. If you are effectively hunting, 10 miles is likely all you can effectively cover in one day and that’s in relatively moderate terrain. So, when people rattle off about covering 10 miles a day for 9 days in a row, either they weren’t spending much actual time hunting or they are exaggerating.

I’m gonna say that the majority (not the vast majority, but the majority) of people who make this claim are full of it. That being said, 10 miles can mean a lot of different things in different terrain. If you’re getting off trail in rough terrain, 3 miles can easily be a 8-10 hour day. I checked out a spot awhile back that took me 9 hours to get 6 miles (4,000 feet of climbing) using a patchwork of game trails. On a moderate trail, you can easily knock out 10 miles in 5 hours. But, if you are actually “hunting”, you aren’t knocking out miles, you are stopping , starting, listening, glassing, calling, evaluating and trying to be quiet.

Put this on the scale of UL thru hikers: 25-30 miles a day is dark to dark hiking with sub 25# packs, eating meals on the go. If you are effectively hunting, 10 miles is likely all you can effectively cover in one day and that’s in relatively moderate terrain. So, when people rattle off about covering 10 miles a day for 9 days in a row, either they weren’t spending much actual time hunting or they are exaggerating.
I agree. The longer days from my post above were changing locations due to too many hunters or lack of elk.

gelton

WKR
I average about 7 miles per day with 10 not being out of the ordinary. But as others have said, if you are into elk that number can go way down or up depending.

As also pointed out, the terrain has a ton to do with that. I tend to keep my elevation once I have gained it because climbing a mile for me is like walking ten.

Also, I don't hunt with my camp on my back and usually have unloaded most of what is in my bag for a spike camp.

go_deep

WKR
I have a spot that is 3.4 miles one way, so 6.8 mile rounds trip just to get there and back, those miles are put on in the dark. I still don't get 10 miles in on days when I hunt there, I might put 2 miles on while I'm in there.
What the heck would you need to have in your pack to be 50# everyday?!?

Quackshack

Lil-Rokslider
Have your GPS tracking you and then sit for an hour. I'm always amazed how my location bounces around while I'm sitting still. All those points exaggerate your mileage. Especially in timber.
I've found a track is pretty accurate if your constantly moving. If you stop, you'd better pause your track or it will be WAY off! Unless you want to say you went 10 miles.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
I have a spot that is 3.4 miles one way, so 6.8 mile rounds trip just to get there and back, those miles are put on in the dark. I still don't get 10 miles in on days when I hunt there, I might put 2 miles on while I'm in there.
What the heck would you need to have in your pack to be 50# everyday?!?

Hunting with your backpacking gear.

ILIKEBEARS

Lil-Rokslider
It’s all going to come down to your fitness levels. Some guys run 10+ miles a day, some of us (me) can’t run 2. Sure you can smash your body with a 10+ mile day, but then you’re going to be sleeping in, sore, and limited the next few days if your fitness levels aren’t up there. It’s likely going to be better to be more consistent with lower miles, than inconsistent with big killer days.

Also, 50lbs is heavy for a pack. Stash your heavy gear somewhere for the day, buy lighter tent, sleeping bag, pad, stove, gun, etc… if you have the budget. I can do 5 day solo hunts with 38lbs of gear. Less if I have a partner.

ganngus

Lil-Rokslider
I average about 7 miles per day with 10 not being out of the ordinary. But as others have said, if you are into elk that number can go way down or up depending.

As also pointed out, the terrain has a ton to do with that. I tend to keep my elevation once I have gained it because climbing a mile for me is like walking ten.

Also, I don't hunt with my camp on my back and usually have unloaded most of what is in my bag for a spike camp.

Ditto. It's not that difficult to break 10 miles in a day of chasing elk. Hell, I had a 16+ mile day last year. These are from last year on my Iphone. I keep it in my hip pouch on pack and is usually about 25% less than my GPS and also involve me dropping pack at times for speed.

The elk are where they are. If you are not where they are, choice is to eat tag soup or try to go to where they are...

IMG_8668.jpg
IMG_8953.PNG

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
hmmm, 10 miles per day in game country.
In areas/states that I hunt, scouting maybe. And that is usually only 5-7 miles RT with good planning, optics.
Hunting...never, my old legs couldn't take that day after day.

Once camped, base or spike, if you're covering 10 miles per day, you're walking past or pushing animals you'll never see, provided you scouted properly. If you need to hike more than 3 miles to get to where elk are, time to move camp.

Poser

WKR
Ditto. It's not that difficult to break 10 miles in a day of chasing elk. Hell, I had a 16+ mile day last year. These are from last year on my Iphone. I keep it in my hip pouch on pack and is usually about 25% less than my GPS and also involve me dropping pack at times for speed.

The elk are where they are. If you are not where they are, choice is to eat tag soup or try to go to where they are...

View attachment 322597
View attachment 322598

What was your elevation profile on that 16 mile day?