10+ Mile Days

You can’t express effort in miles alone. I’d rather do 10 miles on a trail than 2 miles across blowdown.
100% true, not all terrain is equal... around my place, 15 mile days are the norm when hunting timber company ground, walking logging roads most of those miles... hunting roadless NF land, 10 miles is a tough day.

a couple years ago my buddy drew the Weneha archery tag, and we were targeting one huge 6x6 in particular, the first couple days we were dropping in from the top twice a day, it was around 1.5 miles to get into the bottom of the canyon, but vertical for the last 1/2 mile... we found a way in through the bottom, and it was twice the distance, but no big elevation jump either way... it was easier

one day it wasn't easier because we went down the opposite side of the canyon coming out, and most of it was solid blowdown, sidehill and steep... same exact walk out, other side of the drainage, and one side sucked a lot more.

the main thing is, the more you walk, the easier it gets... first week of elk season is tougher than the last week of deer season.... same with packing meat... first heavy trip of the year is tougher than the last... lots of moving parts in this discussion, but the replies still surprising to me considering this being a western forum.

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
I got my first fitbit. Last night while I was sleeping I walked 0.1 miles, and logged 480 steps. Just sitting in my home office today, so far, I logged another 0.5 miles and 1400 steps.
I call bullshit on anyone relying on a fitness tracker or similar telling them how far they walk in a day. By day’s end today, I’ll have over a mile walked and I haven’t left my office, other than to piss and go to the kitchen a couple times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got my first fitbit. Last night while I was sleeping I walked 0.1 miles, and logged 480 steps. Just sitting in my home office today, so far, I logged another 0.5 miles and 1400 steps.
I call bullshit on anyone relying on a fitness tracker or similar telling them how far they walk in a day. By day’s end today, I’ll have over a mile walked and I haven’t left my office, other than to piss and go to the kitchen a couple times.

Of course trackers without real tracking (GPS), are not that reliable. But if you have one that does use a GPS, you can see where you actually went.

Attachments

• 77F4C557-ADAA-4A05-BFA4-F764D0E6496F.jpeg
    77F4C557-ADAA-4A05-BFA4-F764D0E6496F.jpeg
    128.5 KB · Views: 30
Of course trackers without real tracking (GPS), are not that reliable. But if you have one that does use a GPS, you can see where you actually went.
Yeah i wouldn't trust a fitbit but i trust my garmin fenix and on x tracking. 10+mile days are not unheard of but its obviously not going well if i log those miles lol. Id rather get into elk within a mile or 2

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR

The Fitbit I got has a gps in it. It uses the gps to track my distance moved each day.

FWIW, I've compared steps/distance from trailhead to destination with what OnX has on their trail markers and it's within 15%, and usually more accurate than that. Obviously packing in is a pretty direct action with an obvious objective so you get less error from fluff type activity (and that's because there is less fluff type activity). I have calibrated my step distance on my watch so that increases accuracy.

The Fitbit I got has a gps in it. It uses the gps to track my distance moved each day.

Gotcha they must have improved them alot since my wife got her original one. If she just shook her wrist it would log steps lol. The watches arent foolproof of course but when im in the mountains or logging an activity they do seem pretty damn accurate

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
Yeah i wouldn't trust a fitbit but i trust my garmin fenix and on x tracking. 10+mile days are not unheard of but its obviously not going well if i log those miles lol. Id rather get into elk within a mile or 2

It’s my understanding garmin and Fitbit watch things have the same gps in them. Not 100% sure though.

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
Gotcha they must have improved them alot since my wife got her original one. If she just shook her wrist it would log steps lol. The watches arent foolproof of course but when im in the mountains or logging an activity they do seem pretty damn accurate

It gives me steps and distance (by gps tracking). I assume, like any gps device, it pings the gps every once in a while and it’s never exact, so it assumes you moved a bit each time.
This is all new to me. I used onx for a while, but never use the tracks. Never paid much attention, if any, to miles covered while in the field, but i do find it interesting.

I've got a deer spot I don't run into anyone, but there's a reason why. No way in hell I'm doing 10 miles of this. Was spent in 2. Thankfully you're supposed to go up light and go down heavy.

2K elevation gain in less than 2 miles.

1645639171573.png

PMcGee

WKR

A gps is always going to add some distance when sitting still. Every time it pings it’s going to be a little different then the last time adding distance. They’re only so accurate and being indoors will be even worse. I only use the gps for activities. Step count is usually pretty close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider
7-8 miles per day and 3000 vertical is our average. With today’s phones and apps fairly easy to know how far you go. My daypack withh rifle attached is under 30 pounds when water bottles are full. It is 2.5-3.5 miles back to where the elk are, which is why we cover 7-8 per day depending on wind direction that sets up stalk direction

In the area I hunt the elk tend to move more in a general area 2 -2 1/2 miles from camp. That’s five miles just getting there and back. Hardest time is finding them. Often I will hit that area and no elk I will head back to camp and then head out in another direction and go another three out and another three back to camp hitting wallows and beds where I have found them. If I can’t find them there , the next day might be a 10 -12 mile day trip trying to locate them. I call it the “Rocky Mountain Diet”. I generally lose 8-10 lbs each year. Some years I don’t get a mile from camp. Depends on where you find them and how much hunting pressure has pushed them out of the areas.
As a Non-resident, I don’t get much opportunity to “Scout”.

Pocoloco has it down. The distance isn't hard but the terrane and elevation complicates the trip. As well as the vegetation. You don't do 10 miles in downed timber.

When you get old like me a horse allows you to relive your 30s.

Elkangle

WKR
Here is a solid day working a canyon for me...not hiking but trying to pick things apart and kill a big bull

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220223-222607_onX Hunt.jpg
    Screenshot_20220223-222607_onX Hunt.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 24