10 mm pistol ammunition

Mosby

WKR
One of the things I am working on this year is upgrading the ammo and bullets I am using in my Glock 20 10mm. While I reload for my rifles and for shooting pistols at the range, I always use factory ammo in my pistols when I am carrying either concealed or in the field.

I use Federal HST's and Underwood Penetrators in my 45 ACP's, depending on whether I am in the city or country. In my 380 I use Precision One with a Hornady XTP. I like what I am using in those pistols and I am going to stick with what I have for now.

I normally carry a Glock 10 mm when I am in bear country but I haven't carried it as much as my other pistols and I have sort of neglected the time I have spent with it and the ammo I am running through it....which I have decided is pretty stupid. Time to do something about that.

For self defense in camp, I just bought some Winchester 175 grain Silvertips to try and am I looking for some Federal Trophy Bonded 180 grain to shoot as well. I think the Trophy Bonded could be a great all around bullet in the field. It seems to be loaded a bit hotter than some of the other Federal loads and it is a pretty stout bullet.

I am also looking at getting some quality 10 mm hardcast that is reliable and I was going to start with some Underwood 200 grain and maybe some Buffalo Bore.

For my concealed carry pistol ammo, I am normally looking to get at least 12-15 inches of penetration, good expansion and retention. I am ok with avg speeds in my factory carry ammo as long as I am getting the above with it. The trade off is less muzzle blast, recoil and easier follow up shots, if needed but that's me.

For my field and bear loads, I am looking for max penetration and foot pounds of energy. I want them relatively hot to maximize both and I want bullets that don't expand easily or fall apart.

What brand ammo, bullets and weight do you like to feed to your 10mm's? What have you tried and didn't like?

Jellymon

FNG
Underwood 220g hardcast @ 1250.
Doubletap 200g hardcast @ 1300.
Grizzly 200g hardcast @1250.

I avoid buffalo bore because it’s $15 more for a box of 20 and the 3 I mentioned are the same or better. I use a 22lb recoil spring and have reliability with all three as well at cheap target stuff and .40s&w.

I just bought a glock 40 so I'm looking around for ammo too. Picked up some American Eagle 180 grain just to shoot in the backyard but was looking at Underwood ammo. I don't know how much I'll carry this, due to 6 inch barrel, but itd be a good truck/night stand gun. Is everyone shooting with a stiffer recoil spring for 200/220 grain loads? And what brand spring is the best?

Due to price and getting alot of practice in I was looking at the Sellier & Belloit. But definitely following this thread for advice.

I've been running corbon DPX in my glock 20. It's pretty peppy and I've had no feeding issues with it ever. I've used it on pigs repeatedly at 5-20yds and head on it will go through the skull and coming out the bottom of the stomach with the angle I have ended up shooting from.

I've played with the buffalo bore stuff, just running few boxes through to make sure it feeds properly w/o issue and no problems whatsoever. Hate to say it but most people only buy one box of this stuff vs a couple and making sure they feed during strings and when exiting slide lock.

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
Underwood 220g hardcast @ 1250.
Doubletap 200g hardcast @ 1300.
Grizzly 200g hardcast @1250.

I avoid buffalo bore because it’s $15 more for a box of 20 and the 3 I mentioned are the same or better. I use a 22lb recoil spring and have reliability with all three as well at cheap target stuff and .40s&w.

I have never tried the Grizzly ammo but will when I find it available. The 200 grain Doubletap seems to be sold out at most online places right now. People say the DT fps is over stated by quite a bit, so I might try that last. Underwood is the most readily available for me right now, so I will start there. I am going to buy a couple of boxes of their 200 grain hard cast today and see how it works in my 20.

Buffalo bore prices do suck so I am going to try the Underwood first. Thanks.

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
Everyday carry......180gr XTP's, when hunting I alternate stack the XTP's and 200gr Underwood hardcast.

I think XTP bullets are underrated. It is my favorite bullet in my 380's and works well in all calibers. A really good, consistent bullet.

Reactions: CCH
OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
I've been running corbon DPX in my glock 20. It's pretty peppy and I've had no feeding issues with it ever. I've used it on pigs repeatedly at 5-20yds and head on it will go through the skull and coming out the bottom of the stomach with the angle I have ended up shooting from.

I've played with the buffalo bore stuff, just running few boxes through to make sure it feeds properly w/o issue and no problems whatsoever. Hate to say it but most people only buy one box of this stuff vs a couple and making sure they feed during strings and when exiting slide lock.
I haven't tried Corbon ammo. What grain bullet are you using?

I've shot most brands and I selected Double Tap 200 WFNGC because it functions 100% (22 lb spring) and has the best bullet design. I will say Underwood has changed the bullet design since their first hardcast loads and the bullet looks better, the HiTec coating really does work but I have not tried their newest offerings. The original Underwood hardcast was more of a truncated cone and not an ideal hardcast bullet. The buffalo bore hardcast is not an ideal bullet design at all. With hardcast bullets the most important feature is the meplat diameter (front flat part) and a sharp edge where that transitions to the rounded nose. Those two features determine how straight the bullet penetrates, how much damage it produces. The Double Tap is about ideal for the meplat diameter and is a copy of the old Beartooth bullet. I've also shot some 406 ammunition 200 hardcast mostly as practice and it does alright, no function issues and a decent bullet. I like Winchester 175 gr Silvertips for self defense or non woods carry. I have shot the 180 federal trophy bonded and like that bullet design also but for a bear round where absolute penetration is key and straightline you don't want any expansion so I would stick with hardcast.

Mt Al

WKR
For my bear-country-archery-hunting Glock I use Federal or Remington 180g FMJs with nice flat front end/meplate. My pistol is bone stock, reloading or testing multiple brands just isn't in my personal priority list at this time. Looking for relatively inexpensive practice rounds and reliability.

I run Underwood Harcast 200 grs. out of my XDM 10 MM while solo bowhunting. Pretty accurate at short distances. Recoil is manageable. I'm in moose, black bear, and lion country. Stay away from griz..

CCH

WKR
I mainly use Underwood 200 grain XTP, but also have their 200 grain FMJ flatpoint load. Probably going to try their hardcast soon in preparation for an Alaskan hunt.

weaver

WKR
Accuracy was terrible with Underwood hardcast through my stock g20 barrel. Like 12" at 10 yds with bullets tumbling.
I dropped in a lone wolf barrel and so far not a hiccup through 150 rounds of underwood and 300+ rounds of sellior belliot. Stock recoil spring assembly.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
I bought a pile of that Underwood 200gr hardcast from my FFL as ammo is a pain to purchase here in CA with all of the forms- easier to buy in bulk...though the ammo cost me as much as the pistol itself.

My comments follow Dover above- I ran a bunch of this through my stock G20SF checking for leading every 50rds. Perfect function [on 600rds so far] The barrel started to discolor at about 300 rds but its minor. If you clean the barrel regularly I haven't had lead buildup as mentioned by Glock in their disclaimer.

The only thing I did to my G20 is change sights, polish the trigger components and install a SS guide rod- so not 100% stock. It runs like a top.

I have to say, this could be one of my favorite Glocks......I love the way this shoots/feels. I'm a lefty though and the Gen 5 G17 is hard to beat for the ambi controls.

______

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
I've shot most brands and I selected Double Tap 200 WFNGC because it functions 100% (22 lb spring) and has the best bullet design. I will say Underwood has changed the bullet design since their first hardcast loads and the bullet looks better, the HiTec coating really does work but I have not tried their newest offerings. The original Underwood hardcast was more of a truncated cone and not an ideal hardcast bullet. The buffalo bore hardcast is not an ideal bullet design at all. With hardcast bullets the most important feature is the meplat diameter (front flat part) and a sharp edge where that transitions to the rounded nose. Those two features determine how straight the bullet penetrates, how much damage it produces. The Double Tap is about ideal for the meplat diameter and is a copy of the old Beartooth bullet. I've also shot some 406 ammunition 200 hardcast mostly as practice and it does alright, no function issues and a decent bullet. I like Winchester 175 gr Silvertips for self defense or non woods carry. I have shot the 180 federal trophy bonded and like that bullet design also but for a bear round where absolute penetration is key and straightline you don't want any expansion so I would stick with hardcast.

I wasn't thinking about the difference in bullet design between the hardcast brands. That is a really good point
HC bullet design can be more important than fps. I use Beartooth bullets in my 45-70 and there isn't anything better IMO.

I am going to get some 200 gr DT and compare to the new Underwood. I should find a solution between them. Thanks.

bcv

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for Cliffnotes. I just picked up a G20 SF off gunbroker

jasonhul

Lil-Rokslider
Not looking to divert the thread but rather a confirmation. A buddy of mine sent me a video of a guy shooting 40S&W rounds through his Glock 20 10mm. Anyone else try or do this for practice time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yooper

WKR
Those of you running the hardcast 200's from Underwood are you running everything stock? I've got a KKM barrel but have yet to swap anything over.

Jellymon

FNG
Not looking to divert the thread but rather a confirmation. A buddy of mine sent me a video of a guy shooting 40S&W rounds through his Glock 20 10mm. Anyone else try or do this for practice time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do it for practice. Just make sure to clean the chamber before going back to 10mm. Also as far as I know it only works in glocks due to the extractor design.

I also use Underwood hardcast 220 through the stock barrel with no issues, I just make sure to clean it often.