10 month wait for kuiu attack pants about to come to an end

joelbiltz

WKR
KUIU really screwed up when the made the move. They lost a customer here. With the sizing issue and not being able to get any gear in a timely manner I decided to sell all my KUIU. IT IS A JOKE Seems like Jason is more worried about selling custom rifles and boots and hunts than getting the gear for those who need it I AM DONE WITH KUIU...

KUIU....good clothes
clown show of an operation
Unless the pants will heat seek elk and carry you up hills they aren't worth being strung out, honest or not, for 10 months. Seems silly that people try to justify it when 10-12 years ago we were all wearing second hand wool pants from army surplus and wondering "what could be better?" Nothing is that much better than the available options from companies like sitka, first lite, kryptec, and even russel in some cases.

Just my opinion, as a small business owner myself, you drag people out, whether its your fault or not, you lose them.

Joe

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
this is to stir the pot, "i bet they were," exactly. you have no reason to speculate your accusations, especially with jason being fairly forward about the situation, assuming we take him at his word. unless you have an inside source you're getting information from....leave it be. this isnt a continuation of your thoughts on kuiu.

my only point to this post is i waited a darn long time and i sure hope they got all the kinks worked out, that the pants on their way will be the same quality ive heard people talk about in the past.....am hoping for the best.

hopefully next week i can let people know what i think! although i wont be able to compare it to the earlier attack pants as ive never had any.

Let us know your thoughts on them! I'm a little bit jealous

Whisky

WKR
I say this knowing full well most all of you won't agree with it. But, it's Friday, be happy!!;)

After years of overpaying for over hyped pants, last year I switched to $40-$50 Carhartts for early-mid season hunting pant and couldn't be happier. They are a lot tougher than any other hunting pant I've ever owned. They generally fit me better. You don't have to wait 10 months for them. When it get's cool I layer First Lite merino underneath and can take some pretty cold weather in them. They even offer multiple "earthy" colors....:D

http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/...10101&storeId=10051&productId=53494&langId=-1

I have followed KUIU a bit, and even ordered a vest from them to try out. The size xxl fit me like a size large. I wear XL-2x in all my hunting clothes. KUIU sizing is F'd up. No way in hell I wait 10 months for a pair of pants. I exchanged a couple emails with them and supposedly they got 3xl stuff coming out, and I could get on a pre-order list. Ha, no thanks!! Their Chugach rain gear and Superdown hoody was pretty appealing to me, but I think I may go a different direction now.

I'm very happy to see First Lite's two new jacket offerings. Rain gear and a good insulation jacket is really what I'm after. That may be a pre-order list I'm willing to get on!!

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Man Whisky,

I wouldn't hit the backcountry in ANYTHING made of cotton ... ever. That is a good way to tempt hypothermia.

I understand the frustration folks are having with the wait times. That is why I don't pre-order anything.

I am also looking forward to the First Lite stuff this year, but I won't be pre-ordering.

Whisky

WKR
Man Whisky,

I wouldn't hit the backcountry in ANYTHING made of cotton ... ever. That is a good way to tempt hypothermia.

Tis why I need a good pair of rain pants to put on when it rains. And also, why I said early-mid season pant. :)

Whisky

WKR
And I agree with you on pre-order lists. It usually just sets you up for frustrations. Same thing with "group buys" I see on a couple different sites, and even participated in a few. If a guy decided to do something like that, you best not be in a hurry for your merchandise. They rarely go as planned.

I've had great luck with Kuiu. Although I bought all mine when it first came out. My kuiu gear is the north american made stuff and I love it! Kuiu Attack pants are great, even better than my 2009 ascent pants I had prior. The guide jacket I used in Idaho kept me as dry as my raingear, kind of mad I sold it. For people thinking that its too small, its athletic cut. Its supposed to fit snugly so that you don't look like the michelin man walking through the woods.

I've had great experiences with all my Kuiu products. But then again I did get it all before the shipped it to China.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
while i can agree it isnt really worth waiting 10 months for.....i really had nothing else i wanted to look into. i like my sitka ascent pants just fine....i glanced at some kryptek pants at cabelas and even if i was interested the inseam is too short (cant believe they dont make a tall, maybe they do and cabelas just doesnt carry it) really though, am interested in seeing if all the hype about the pants is real. otherwise id just stick with my ascent pants ive had great luck with them, and wouldnt be looking at other pants had i not heard so many good things about the attack pants. so yeah i was frustrated when i kept getting news i would be receiving them soon and didnt....but at this point it's not buying them out of necessity, more out of curiosity, so the wait sucks but i want to know what they're like!

OBP

WKR
I've had great luck with Kuiu. Although I bought all mine when it first came out. My kuiu gear is the north american made stuff and I love it! Kuiu Attack pants are great, even better than my 2009 ascent pants I had prior. The guide jacket I used in Idaho kept me as dry as my raingear, kind of mad I sold it. For people thinking that its too small, its athletic cut. Its supposed to fit snugly so that you don't look like the michelin man walking through the woods.

I've had great experiences with all my Kuiu products. But then again I did get it all before the shipped it to China.

X2. I love my kuiu gear but have had it all since it first came out. I have been waiting on a vias superdown for months though.....
As long as you're not in a hurry for it their gear is awesome. I would be curious to see some of the new stuff coming out of china to see how it compares to my made in NA stuff.

Craig4791

WKR
I really like my Guide pants! They were out of the attack when I got my KUIU stuff. When I was in AZ last year that brush is nasty stuff and literally ruined my buddies Sitka pants. But my guide pants were still in great shape when the hunt was over.

They are also the best fitting most comfortable pants I have ever worn.

It is frustrating but I feel it's worth the wait if its quality gear.

Ill be picking up a pair of attack pants in Vias.

X2. I love my kuiu gear but have had it all since it first came out. I have been waiting on a vias superdown for months though.....
As long as you're not in a hurry for it their gear is awesome. I would be curious to see some of the new stuff coming out of china to see how it compares to my made in NA stuff.

I have both Canadian sewn Kuiu gear and the new stuff sewn in china and the quality of the gear is the same in my opinion. The only difference I see is the sizing. I had to go up a size but I know many that like the new fit better then the original. I also only order stuff they have in stock so I have no complaints on waiting like a lot of guys have had to deal with.

I dont care if its 100 degrees and not supposed to rain for a year... no way I will every wear cotton pants. If you sweat, they will stay wet. If they get wet in the am from dew on tall grass, they will stay wet. I dont think it is safe to hunt cold/wet weather with cotton pants at all now with cheaper and better poly/wool materials available.

I was hunting late November this year, 2+ feet of snow, 10-15 degrees out. I walked around a big frozen lake but on the way back was tired and tried to cross the med sized creek that fed it. I slipped and fell in up to my waste, I was a mile+ from the pickup. I had all Sitka stuff on 90% and some base layer stuff and stayed warm enough to get back.... jeans would have scared the chit outta me. it happens.

Have you guys tried the mountain pant from sitka? I have never tried the ascent but have the mountain pants (X3 haha) and absoutely love them.

Joe

blb078

WKR
This is why I wear the russell apx stuff. It's a fraction of the cost, can get it instantly, and if you tear something it's no biggie due to being cheap. Can get it all on clearance now due to them not making it anymore. Quality wise it's just as good ad sitka and kryptek imo, and very comfortable.

Curtis C

WKR
Hopefully KUIU appreciates you as a customer and threw in a little something extra for the patience you had dealing with such a long wait.

I'd be surprised if you didn't like the pants

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
well what do you know, came in the mail today.

not really as impressed as i hoped i would be, but i mean they're pants...how impressed can a guy really be. the only thing i have to compare them to is sitka ascent pants, so that's what i am using for a baseline. first thing i noticed that they dont have like the rubberized interior waistband to prevent sliding, i really like this feature and many of the higher end clothes i have seem to use it, not a deal breaker but i was a little disappointed. i prefer the opening and closures to the sitka pockets much more than the attack pants. the attack pants are a bit heavier as many have stated, but based on appearance only will be much more durable than the sitka ascent pant. i like the hip zips for ventilation, especially being they are a bit heavier pant.

overall it's a toss up for me at this point, i really like the sitka ascent pants.....ill give the attack pants a whirl this season and see how it goes, im sure ill like them just fine....if not for the early season, i know i will like the added warmth for sure from october on and hip zips to ventilate while you hike.

10 month wait? not worth it, but im not out anything either!

a side note for anyone not a kuiu blog subscriber, they have filled all the pre-orders and offering the attack pants online to blog subscribers right now before going public, they currently have them available in all sizes of vias per the email they sent me

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Sk1 weren't you the one that said you didn't know about your Kifaru when you first got it.:)

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
Sk1 weren't you the one that said you didn't know about your Kifaru when you first got it.:)

hmm not sure if i ever said that, maybe....but if i did it was for a legitimate reason. i had horrible hip bruising, but aron was able to correct that and i love my pack now!

dont take that the wrong way, i like the kuiu pants, i probably just over hyped them after hearing all the great things...im sure i will use them and use them often, right now the only thing in question for me, is if they will be my early season go to pants or not...hopefully i will end up liking them alot and the sitka's will just be a backup, time will tell. i can tell they are a really good pair of pants, the quality is there, just certain things didnt meet my preferences, they can't please everyone!