10 REASONS WHY YOU’RE NOT FINDING MORE SHEDS

Jpace

FNG
I will add think like an elk or deer and where would they go far removed to survive Mother Nature and predators to make it to greenup🤙 eat live and breath them and you will find them whether dropped or walking🤙I see them in my sleep😂
Very impressive!

10. You’re looking straight ahead and not scanning from side to side. You’re not looking behind you every once in a while.

9. You’re looking at your cell phone, on Facebook, Instagram, etc. instead of looking around for antlers.

8. You’re looking in places where there are no deer during shedding time.

7. You’re walking too fast.

6. You’re walking an area with a friend and more worried about where they are and what they’re finding than paying attention to your surroundings.

5. You’re searching for bedding areas too early in the season, pushing the Bucks off of the property.

4. You’re not walking enough. You’re not covering enough area. The average mileage per one antler in the midwest is 5 miles.

3. You’re looking for a whole antler, while you need to be looking for antler shapes, “pieces” or “points” of tines, the arch of a Tines Down Antler. Anything to tip you off to the presence of an antler.

2. You’ve been beaten to the good spot. Someone else has watched the deer and figured out when they shed. They beat you to the antlers that were surely there.

1. And last but not least the number one reason why you’re not finding antlers are you are in your recliner or on the couch.

Does anyone want to add to this list?
great info thx

RWhitley

FNG
Does it consume others when they don’t find the match? It drives me crazy and I spend more time trying to find the match then just covering more areas for different bucks.

10. You’re looking straight ahead and not scanning from side to side. You’re not looking behind you every once in a while.

9. You’re looking at your cell phone, on Facebook, Instagram, etc. instead of looking around for antlers.

6. You’re walking an area with a friend and more worried about where they are and what they’re finding than paying attention to your surroundings.

5. You’re searching for bedding areas too early in the season, pushing the Bucks off of the property.

4. You’re not walking enough. You’re not covering enough area. The average mileage per one antler in the midwest is 5 miles.

3. You’re looking for a whole antler, while you need to be looking for antler shapes, “pieces” or “points” of tines, the arch of a Tines Down Antler. Anything to tip you off to the presence of an antler.

2. You’ve been beaten to the good spot. Someone else has watched the deer and figured out when they shed. They beat you to the antlers that were surely there.

1. And last but not least the number one reason why you’re not finding antlers are you are in your recliner or on the couch.

Does anyone want to add to this

😆😄😁

nphunter

WKR
Taking too many people that are beating you to them!

View attachment 260009

Well I didn’t take my own advice. Found a big bull shed off of a bull I several years of cam pics and a set of sheds off of from two years ago. Took a buddy and his kid with me when I went to match it up and sent them out a different ridge while I tried to match up the big bull. Well we met back up after a busted brush for two hours. They came strolling in with the match to my bull and two buck sheds. It was his boys first elk shed he’s found, I told my buddy not to get rid of it without letting me know. I really like having sheds off deer and elk I’ve seen, hunted and have trail cam pics of.

The picture of my boys is 2019.
Here are a couple from this weekend. Of my older son with the one we found and my youngest with the set, my buddies boy found the RH shed.
CD47B2E6-5A30-4929-87E2-2865ABDCBDCD.jpeg
3668EBDC-C059-4A0C-BBD1-C95B470803A7.jpeg
2C478ACD-A1F6-4562-94F2-8AEE90BE1CE6.jpeg
4892E0E7-74FE-493F-A1B1-B92CF9392D23.jpeg
180C758F-4BCB-488D-94EC-AD6B1429BDB4.jpeg
Here’s the bull in 2018
D7BD91A1-3876-49C0-ACB7-C2EB010A01A9.png

The worst part is that I have years of pictures and videos of the bulls in this area and have literally only shed hunted in there a few times in the last 5 years. I really think a person needs to put in the time and not be lazy. I was up there three weeks ago in the snow and walked to the edge of the bluff that had this shed under it. There was a huge elk trail coming from that hillside to the one where the other side was lying. If I would have walked that trail that day I probably would have picked up both sides just by following the tracks.

I think shed hunting is just too hard and not very rewarding and every one would be way better off not even looking.😁😁

Probably going to have to look a little harder once they bring the wolves back to Colorado too. Heard on a podcast a couple weeks ago that hunters are gonna be fronting the bill for reintroduction. If you don't believe me you can find a link to the poscast on this site:

MojoTX

Lil-Rokslider
Can someone explain this fascination with shed hunting? Serious question.

RiceTc

FNG
Well I didn’t take my own advice. Found a big bull shed off of a bull I several years of cam pics and a set of sheds off of from two years ago. Took a buddy and his kid with me when I went to match it up and sent them out a different ridge while I tried to match up the big bull. Well we met back up after a busted brush for two hours. They came strolling in with the match to my bull and two buck sheds. It was his boys first elk shed he’s found, I told my buddy not to get rid of it without letting me know. I really like having sheds off deer and elk I’ve seen, hunted and have trail cam pics of.

The picture of my boys is 2019.
Here are a couple from this weekend. Of my older son with the one we found and my youngest with the set, my buddies boy found the RH shed.
View attachment 284396
View attachment 284398
View attachment 284399
View attachment 284400
View attachment 284401
Here’s the bull in 2018
View attachment 284404

The worst part is that I have years of pictures and videos of the bulls in this area and have literally only shed hunted in there a few times in the last 5 years. I really think a person needs to put in the time and not be lazy. I was up there three weeks ago in the snow and walked to the edge of the bluff that had this shed under it. There was a huge elk trail coming from that hillside to the one where the other side was lying. If I would have walked that trail that day I probably would have picked up both sides just by following the tracks.
Wow this is amazing!

Can someone explain this fascination with shed hunting? Serious question.
For me it’s a lot of just getting out there to spend time outside. If I find sheds that’s cool too but I’m like you, I don’t understand the whole thing. If I find some I pick them up but I’m not out there trying to glass sheds either

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looking forward to 2022 with Odin and friends 🤙have some intel on some bulls to look for hunting and bone collecting after a long winter nothing better than roaming the mountains with few around

Attachments

• A3BD92EF-839A-4AC6-A8A4-61A8E1EA1F17.jpeg
    A3BD92EF-839A-4AC6-A8A4-61A8E1EA1F17.jpeg
    202.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 336A7888-9BCF-44E6-ADCB-CC8D33DE6773.jpeg
    336A7888-9BCF-44E6-ADCB-CC8D33DE6773.jpeg
    189.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 7D3C0002-3B23-4F02-B592-5C2933797692.jpeg
    7D3C0002-3B23-4F02-B592-5C2933797692.jpeg
    744.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 692AD327-CE5E-411B-8261-931F2496FBB1.jpeg
    692AD327-CE5E-411B-8261-931F2496FBB1.jpeg