10 REASONS WHY YOU’RE NOT FINDING MORE SHEDS

10. You’re looking straight ahead and not scanning from side to side. You’re not looking behind you every once in a while.

9. You’re looking at your cell phone, on Facebook, Instagram, etc. instead of looking around for antlers.

8. You’re looking in places where there are no deer during shedding time.

7. You’re walking too fast.

6. You’re walking an area with a friend and more worried about where they are and what they’re finding than paying attention to your surroundings.

5. You’re searching for bedding areas too early in the season, pushing the Bucks off of the property.

4. You’re not walking enough. You’re not covering enough area. The average mileage per one antler in the midwest is 5 miles.

3. You’re looking for a whole antler, while you need to be looking for antler shapes, “pieces” or “points” of tines, the arch of a Tines Down Antler. Anything to tip you off to the presence of an antler.

2. You’ve been beaten to the good spot. Someone else has watched the deer and figured out when they shed. They beat you to the antlers that were surely there.

1. And last but not least the number one reason why you’re not finding antlers are you are in your recliner or on the couch.

Does anyone want to add to this list?
Great list! I've got a Golden Retriever. Would that be a good dog to train to find antlers? How would I go about doing that? Never trained him except for "sit", shake, lay down, stay, etc.

CAB

FNG
Thanks for the tips, will definitely keep these in mind when I get out. I keep thinking I’m late to the game, pretty sure I am.
not sure if you mean late as in going out for sheds or to shed hunting in general. If you're talking about late as in getting out, I know the feeling. What helped me was finding locations that were just that much tougher to get to. I found this ravine that wasn't that tough but it wasn't fun either and that seemed to keep the traffic lower meaning I could shed hunt at any part of the year and find sheds.

I tend to find most of mine while I’m turkey hunting since I’m usually watching the ground for snakes!
And yes, I do wear snake boots.....just trying to avoid testing them out!
A fresh burn makes finding them easy, as long as it wasn’t a good, consuming fire, then they’re charred.

3A81AE88-E3CB-45D9-B3E1-02A4566D117A.jpeg95AEFF4B-1782-479C-8267-DB2DA55DA03D.jpeg

Islandeer

FNG
Stop , look all around, watch a squirrel or a bird, look some more. What’s the hurray!

This will train you for still hunting Big Muley bucks next season.
Whitetails too!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    775.3 KB · Views: 26

Fatcamp

WKR
Sometimes it doesn't matter. Did 3 hours through an area that has been productive in the past. Nothing. No sign of others before me. I think it was just a little early. I will try again Tuesday.

I watch where squirrels spend their time on the ground too. I kept watching one go to the same spot repeatedly and finally could hear it chewing on something when it was dead calm. It sounded exactly like it was shelling a hickory nut. I walked over there after climbing down from my stand and it was chewing on the remnants of a main beam.

Elkfever4

FNG
Interesting topic. I believe it is recommended that you don't shed hunt until May so the animals are not bothered during their weakened state. Which makes a lot of sense. Do most people wait or do you think due to the rise in popularity of shed hunting, the animals are getting pushed around way sooner?
I know out here in my area i see more and more people every year. Where we go you can hike in off the main highways . We usually drive up and down the highway early for a hour mark all the deer we see. gauge where there headed and find a spot where there not headed miles away. Trying not to spook them or anything. The problem I see is guys are seeing bucks with antlers in one area and they park 100 yards away from the deer and start pounding ground , pushing them. We look for old shed earlier in the year trying to avoid where they currently are , then when they migrate out we go in looking for fresh ones. The more people pester them the more it’s gonna get regulated and eventually you will have to by a tag to shed hunt. I blame YouTube and all social media.