10 vs 20deg quilt

stephane110

Lil-Rokslider
Any thoughts on getting a 10 vs 20 degree quilt? Looking at picking up an elcoyote but can’t decide.
I want to use it for scouting in the summer, and hunting in the fall.

For reference, I hunt in Alberta foothills and mountains from sept-mid October. Anytime after that I’ll have a tipi with stove.
I use a thermarest xtherm pad.
Normally sleep in my merino baselayers, but have worn puffy before if its cold out so I’m fine doing that if needed.

BrianN

FNG
If you're on the fence between two temps, it’s usually a good idea to err on the the side of caution and just go with the warmer one. The cost and weight difference between the two is minimal and quilts are very easy to vent if you get warm. Rather be a bit warm than a bit cold.

Stove only helps when it's burning. Not practical to burn it all night. Plan accordingly.

Have you slept in a quilt in 20 or lower degree weather?

Last edited:
I have a 10°quilt. I sleep happily down into the low 20's. Same pad with a cover. September/October in Colorado. Colder than that and i use a mummy bag. Im a side/stomach sleeper and will often vent the quilt on accident. When it's that cold it wakes me up.

ljalberta

WKR
As someone who also hunts the Alberta mountains in September and October, and who has a quilt, I would go with the 10* without question. One of the great things about a quilt is how easy it is compared to a bag to regulate your heat on warmer nights.

I have an older EE quilt that is allegedly 10*, but realistically is closer to a 20 or 30 rating. I purchased mine prior to them increasing their fill by 30% across the board.

I have used it early September on sheep hunts and late September on elk hunts in the foothills. I have had both comfortable sleeps when the temperature is mild, and a number of sleepless nights when the mercury plummeted.

I’m not familiar with the brand your purchasing, but from my experience I would go wider than I though I needed, I would ensure it had a neck baffle, and I would want one with a differential cut. I move around a bit in my sleep and I like to sprawl. This makes a quilt incredibly comfortable when the temperatures are mild, but also lends to me freezing when temperatures drop and I lose the heat.

As you know, October (heck, even late September sometimes) can get danger cold in the mountains, so you just have to know the limits of your system otherwise.

I love my quilt for summer scouting and backpacking, as well as short trips where I can fairly accurately anticipate the forecast. Longer trips in to the mountains and I will bring a bag that I can use comfortably as a quilt when it’s mild and zip up when the temperature drops.

Usi05

WKR
I had an EE 20 degree quilt that I bought from a buddy and loved it. I upgraded to the el coyote wide 10 degree because I kept getting gaps in the regular width EE and I had a couple nights in idaho last year where I was cold.

Those were the primary factors in going with a lower temp rating and wider quilt for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pchrisla

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 0 degree quilt and if getting below 10, I'm wanting a bag usually. Wish I wasn't a larger side sleeper. Still love my quilt just need to keep the drafts out. Use the straps.

Voyageur

WKR
I use my 10 degree quilt for everything from spring shed hunting trips, summer backpacking, and on thru the fall until sometime in November. Because of their design quilts are obviously easy to vent in warmer temps. If it were me, I would go with the 10 degree.
Hope this helps.

Gapmaster

WKR
10 degree vs the 20 for sure. You can always vent it as stated above. A hunting buddy of mine runs a 0 degree and prefers that but he’s cold natured.

mrolen

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 0 degree EE quilt and I love it down to 10-15 degrees. I should have gotten a wider one I think as I get some drafts. I think I’m going to pair with a liner in colder temps to see if that is a good solution if not I will add another bag to my inventory down the road.

Slugz

WKR
Always always err to the warmer one. You can take off clothes if you ever get too hot.

NGA

FNG
If your mostly always packing in, 20 is and will be fine especially with thermals. If only buying one as do all, I like 20 as well.
I say buy 20 and 0°.
If you aren't packing in or having to go far much, go 10, why not? Like everyone said, you can always vent it or shed clothes

OP
S

stephane110

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone! It also looks like the 10deg is only a couple ounces heavier so not a big deal weight wise consideration you can vent it...

Personally, I'd go with a 10 deg sleeping bag instead of a quilt. The zipper makes it so much warmer; and if it's too hot just unzip it. I've never been a quilt fan, but that's just me. I'd rather pack in an extra few ounces, and not have to worry about keeping a stove going all night.