$100 for CO PP?

npm352

WKR
Send money or don't. I will keep playing CO. I stopped doing WY for sheep/moose because their system is not worth it to me...still do antelope and deer there, but shortly after they went from $7 to $100 for sheep points I looked hard and realized unless everyone else putting in dies in their 50s and I live until I am 1,500 years old, I won't draw. I quit NM when they changed their system because I didn't like what they did on principle. Still do MT, NV, ID, CO and UT...I am sitting on 3 & 13 for CO sheep and 3 & 4 for goat. I'll keep playing for a ram tag or another goat tag. Simple: if it isn't worth it, don't play...if it is, go for it.

Rich M

WKR
I definitely see preference points as the way to hold your spot in line. Should be real simple when you get up to the front and there are 2 guys with the most years - they should get pulled no matter what.

mtnhntr

WKR
As a NR I never thought I would draw CO for sheep, but on my 4th year of applying I did.

I apply all over, and I completely see the value in the increased fees for PPs, and wish they wouldn't have flooded the system the way they did last year. For me, there are years I know I wouldn't be able to devote a month to a big hunt like that, so I just want my point and to stay out of the draw and this allows me to still add a point and plan for the year I can. There needs to be a mechanism to keep the odds reasonable, and the costs moderate. Most of these select species are of high value to the state, and that needs to be reflected. I'll gladly pay the $100/point to stay in the game, and look forward to drawing again in the future. I can see though how these increased fees can cause some to re-evaluate their process....it's still cheaper than fronting the cash for several months in the years that you know you wouldn't be looking to draw anyways.

sndmn11

WKR
As a NR I never thought I would draw CO for sheep, but on my 4th year of applying I did.

I apply all over, and I completely see the value in the increased fees for PPs, and wish they wouldn't have flooded the system the way they did last year. For me, there are years I know I wouldn't be able to devote a month to a big hunt like that, so I just want my point and to stay out of the draw and this allows me to still add a point and plan for the year I can. There needs to be a mechanism to keep the odds reasonable, and the costs moderate. Most of these select species are of high value to the state, and that needs to be reflected. I'll gladly pay the $100/point to stay in the game, and look forward to drawing again in the future. I can see though how these increased fees can cause some to re-evaluate their process....it's still cheaper than fronting the cash for several months in the years that you know you wouldn't be looking to draw anyways.

How was the hunt?

mtnhntr

WKR
How was the hunt?

It was awesome! I've hunted sheep all over the globe, and Sangre de Cristo Outfitters was by far and large in my top 3 hunting experiences - EVER. I drew an archery tag, and while hunting was exceptionally tough (unit S9) we had multiple shot opportunities - I just couldn't quite seal the deal. I'm going to continue applying and try to draw the unit again with for archery. I've spent big money hunting bighorns unsuccessfully in Alberta, and dollar for dollar this experience was the best value sheep hunt period.

jray5740

Lil-Rokslider
If you read the FAQ's on the DOW website, the rationale behind this decision makes sense. In essence, they are saying they have decided to make people pay for conservation for a species they wish to hunt in 20 years every year for that 20 in lieu of the 1 year they draw. This makes complete sense for the viability of the future, even if it hurts the pockets a little more each year.

I still hate that it costs me as a resident nearly $500 now to hunt and get my points for the "Big 3" in Colorado, however I can sleep easier knowing I have played my part in all of our futures.

Im going to catch alot of crap for this next statement, so I'm SORRY in advance, but its not just my opinion.......The one thing I do love is that a non res now has to buy a $151 small game license before they are even allowed to apply for a big game hunting license, and then pay the $100 for PP/per species plus their $700 ish elk tag costs, new $100 bear tag etc....this will make the possibility of yours truly, a 6th gen Colorado native never lucky enough to draw with a bazillion points for the "big 3", maybe a little better!!

OXN939

WKR
If you read the FAQ's on the DOW website, the rationale behind this decision makes sense. In essence, they are saying they have decided to make people pay for conservation for a species they wish to hunt in 20 years every year for that 20 in lieu of the 1 year they draw. This makes complete sense for the viability of the future, even if it hurts the pockets a little more each year.

I still hate that it costs me as a resident nearly $500 now to hunt and get my points for the "Big 3" in Colorado, however I can sleep easier knowing I have played my part in all of our futures.

Im going to catch alot of crap for this next statement, so I'm SORRY in advance, but its not just my opinion.......The one thing I do love is that a non res now has to buy a $151 small game license before they are even allowed to apply for a big game hunting license, and then pay the $100 for PP/per species plus their $700 ish elk tag costs, new $100 bear tag etc....this will make the possibility of yours truly, a 6th gen Colorado native never lucky enough to draw with a bazillion points for the "big 3", maybe a little better!!

Nonresident small game license is $81. I too can appreciate generating extra funds for wildlife conservation; now, it'd be great if CO would show us the manner in which these extra funds are to be used.

sab

Lil-Rokslider
Here’s my problem with the argument that these always-increasing fees are a good way to support wildlife and conservation - we shooters and hunters already pay 11% whenever we buy new guns and ammunition. Add to that all the license, tag, application fees, as well as stamps for this and that. Now take that total and compare it to what all the other “nature lovers” pay. Birdwatchers, hikers, campers - they all use natural forests and pay nothing. Fair share, my buttocks!

mtmiller

WKR
Here’s my problem with the argument that these always-increasing fees are a good way to support wildlife and conservation - we shooters and hunters already pay 11% whenever we buy new guns and ammunition. Add to that all the license, tag, application fees, as well as stamps for this and that. Now take that total and compare it to what all the other “nature lovers” pay. Birdwatchers, hikers, campers - they all use natural forests and pay nothing. Fair share, my buttocks!
So who are you pissed at?

buffsmoker

Lil-Rokslider
License/tag fees and P-R Act funds are used to fund state wildlife agencies to manage wildlife resources. The vast majority of the public land that all of these use groups (including us hunters) access are federally managed. And those are funded through federal taxes we all pay. Personally, I'm proud of the fact that us hunters are responsible for the sustainable wildlife populations we have. Sure comes in handy in debates with the "animal activist" types.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtnhntr

WKR
So I supported their change to the $100 PP fee, but I didn't see the requirement to pick up a full license LOL :LOL:

Clearly I'll still apply, but they're definitely going to shove up the odds this year for those applying. I attributed the significant tag increase the year I drew as to the reason I drew, as it probably pushed those who couldn't swing it out of the pool. Good luck to those going into the draw!! I've still got some PPs to build since my last draw in CO...

TWDELEON

FNG
It was awesome! I've hunted sheep all over the globe, and Sangre de Cristo Outfitters was by far and large in my top 3 hunting experiences - EVER. I drew an archery tag, and while hunting was exceptionally tough (unit S9) we had multiple shot opportunities - I just couldn't quite seal the deal. I'm going to continue applying and try to draw the unit again with for archery. I've spent big money hunting bighorns unsuccessfully in Alberta, and dollar for dollar this experience was the best value sheep hunt period.