100 miles on my Schee beartooth II review

byz250f

FNG
I did a lot of pondering on getting my first set of decent boots for a spring bear trip to MT. I was torn between some Crispis, Kenetreks, and the Schnees. I went with the Schnee BT2 and am happy to say I think I made a decent choice. Before I did our 5 day bear hunt I made sure to get around 60-80 miles of hiking with a loaded pack, back home. Many have said that break in isnt super critical with the BT2 boots but I figured it couldnt hurt to get some time in the saddle. After doing a 5 day hunt covering 30 miles, 8k feet elevation climbed all with 25-55lbs on our back I was decently happy with my Beartooth 2s. No blisters, no lost toe nails, and no wet feet from water crossings. I started the trip with a liner merino layer sock and outer merino layer. Weather was 50-75F. I ended up getting rid of the liner sock as it was bugging me some. My buddy and his dad both have Kenetrek Moutain Extremes that they have ranted and raved about the past few years. Neither has had a blister issue in the past with these boots. On this trip both of them got blisters. Not sure what the cause was as they were both confused as well.

Some things I noticed that I would be curious to see how other boots feel:

Ankle support with lots of side hilling. I felt like I could have used a tad more ankle support at times when doing lots of side hilling. I still dont particularly like the feel of the ankle lock system. Also at times on down hill ascents I felt like my big tow was jamming into the toe box. Never did a lose a nail, or get any toes bruised. I could just feel my toe touching at times. Also Im not a fan of the exposed tongue material on the BT2 vs the Kentrek boots. It just seemed like it could easily tear as its a more fragile material vs a full leather design like the Kenetrek. I have around 100 miles on the boots now, pretty happy with my purchase. I dont have a lot of experience with this sort of boot but over all I think its a decent boot for the money, and a nice company to deal with.

I'll second your opinion on the ankle support and lace locking things.
I have a ton of miles on mine and have gotten used to the lace locks, but in hindsight I dislike them enough that I wouldn't buy the boot again because of them.
As for the ankle support. It's hard to describe it, but it often feels like your ankle wants to roll, but it can't with the boot being so high. It's almost like the heel is too narrow or something??
In the end they are super comfortable, great traction, and very light for what they are.

wgrkman

FNG
I just picked up a pair of the beartooths about a month ago. I've only put about 10 miles on them but they seem very comfortable and well put together. Do you guys know how the lace holder in the center of the tongue is supposed to be used? Do you run the lace through there before tying the knot?

bmart2622

WKR
I'm going to Schnees tomorrow to look at them and hopefully pick a pair up. I will let you know after I look at them.

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I did a lot of pondering on getting my first set of decent boots for a spring bear trip to MT. I was torn between some Crispis, Kenetreks, and the Schnees. I went with the Schnee BT2 and am happy to say I think I made a decent choice. Before I did our 5 day bear hunt I made sure to get around 60-80 miles of hiking with a loaded pack, back home. Many have said that break in isnt super critical with the BT2 boots but I figured it couldnt hurt to get some time in the saddle. After doing a 5 day hunt covering 30 miles, 8k feet elevation climbed all with 25-55lbs on our back I was decently happy with my Beartooth 2s. No blisters, no lost toe nails, and no wet feet from water crossings. I started the trip with a liner merino layer sock and outer merino layer. Weather was 50-75F. I ended up getting rid of the liner sock as it was bugging me some. My buddy and his dad both have Kenetrek Moutain Extremes that they have ranted and raved about the past few years. Neither has had a blister issue in the past with these boots. On this trip both of them got blisters. Not sure what the cause was as they were both confused as well.

Some things I noticed that I would be curious to see how other boots feel:

Ankle support with lots of side hilling. I felt like I could have used a tad more ankle support at times when doing lots of side hilling. I still dont particularly like the feel of the ankle lock system. Also at times on down hill ascents I felt like my big tow was jamming into the toe box. Never did a lose a nail, or get any toes bruised. I could just feel my toe touching at times. Also Im not a fan of the exposed tongue material on the BT2 vs the Kentrek boots. It just seemed like it could easily tear as its a more fragile material vs a full leather design like the Kenetrek. I have around 100 miles on the boots now, pretty happy with my purchase. I dont have a lot of experience with this sort of boot but over all I think its a decent boot for the money, and a nice company to deal with.

First, thank you for your business! I'm really happy to hear your boots are treating you well and for the feedback. I take all of this stuff seriously and it directly impacts future boot designs. If you should have any questions or need help in the future, just shoot me a PM.
- Matt

PS: If you have any photos of them out on the trail, we love to see it!