$100 Question

landon77

FNG
If your your goal is for your dollars to have the most impact, I would think that concentrating them on one cause rather than spreading them out would have a more meaningful impact for the organization of choice. Pick one.

Contributing to groups like Wounded Warriors is something you'll never regret. I support them, Veteran's Sportsman Alliance & Til Vahalla Project.

anthonyjg

FNG
I can't speak to conservation org's in particular, but I think it's helpful for non-profits in general to have sustained contributions. So if you can swing $10 a month indefinitely, that might better serve the org than a lump sum.

My personal preference for the ones I do support is to not join via the website or mailers. Usually at a banquet.

I don't need a pile of cheap knives, ugly hats, and other stuff like that.

Brummie75

FNG
As someone who’s worked for and dealt with a number of conservation NGOs, I’d say there’s some good advice here - e.g. think about regular donations rather than a lump sum, buy gift memberships for others that might get them interested.

But the most important thing is to research different groups and chose what you most want to support - what kinds of wildlife / habitats, US-focused or international, pro-hunting or otherwise, community-based or otherwise, advocacy-focused or otherwise, etc, etc.

These days there are even crowd-funding sites that let you support individual projects, at least in international development and conservation.

Triple d

FNG
This is my go-to at Christmas time. Everybody gets a card with a duck stamp. The first year I included a print out with the stamp's history and where the money goes. People seem to love the idea. Thanks to Sam Soholt for the inspiration.
Same here Dan, such a great gift

JeffP_Or

WKR
I have somewhat shifted my approach more recently - I used to go the route of membership in the traditional national orgs; I would donate more than the 'standard membership' to a number of them. What I came to realize on some is the payback to the state(s) of interest or local 'chapters' is minimal or zero. I still support those orgs because they carry political clout at the national level - but for boots on the ground conservation and effort, I give larger donations to local and state level orgs.
That said, be mindful that some of the local/state orgs are more heavily administrative too - so you still have to do some research.

If your like me then its hard for you to donate to ANY "non-profits" that are paying their CEO's $150,000+/year....no saying I don't, just saying its hard for me...

My advice, buy duck stamps.

MTChurch

FNG
Suppose you had $100 to donate to conservation organization(s). Is it best to put all $100 into one or donate $10 to 10 organizations?

Obviously this can be scaled up to say if you had $1,000 or $100,000 but I'm more curious as to the principle or return on investment merits and pitfalls of either approach.

Thanks!
As with any charitable giving, we should learn as much as we can about the organization and make sure their values align with ours. As long as they do, I don’t think it matters what percentage you decide to give.

Suppose you had $100 to donate to conservation organization(s). Is it best to put all $100 into one or donate $10 to 10 organizations?

Obviously this can be scaled up to say if you had $1,000 or $100,000 but I'm more curious as to the principle or return on investment merits and pitfalls of either approach.

Thanks!
Go ultra-local first to your local community.

TedO

Lil-Rokslider
Personally, I would find an organization that helps conserve winter range and migration routes. Those are the 2 most important aspects to preserving herd health (for elk and mulies).

IF all other things were equal, the best bet would be to join all the ones you’re interested in. Get a bunch of magazines, swag, boost membership numbers for many groups, learn about the ones you’re less familiar with, get volunteer opportunities, network. So, $15 here, $20 there for memberships. If you’re already a member of all the ones you like, my second option would be to sign other people up for memberships as gifts. Third option would be to look into specific projects and see if You can earmark money to a project You like.
Great idea to sign up others as gifts!

Sea Wolf

Lil-Rokslider
My perspective is to donate to 2 organizations. One too an org that enhances habitat or access, and another's that defends hunters.

Memberships count for more than a single small donation.