$100 Question

Marty

Lil-Rokslider
Suppose you had $100 to donate to conservation organization(s). Is it best to put all $100 into one or donate $10 to 10 organizations?

Obviously this can be scaled up to say if you had $1,000 or $100,000 but I'm more curious as to the principle or return on investment merits and pitfalls of either approach.

Thanks!

Z71&Gun

Lil-Rokslider
Suppose you had $100 to donate to conservation organization(s). Is it best to put all $100 into one or donate $10 to 10 organizations?

Obviously this can be scaled up to say if you had $1,000 or $100,000 but I'm more curious as to the principle or return on investment merits and pitfalls of either approach.

Thanks!
IF all other things were equal, the best bet would be to join all the ones you’re interested in. Get a bunch of magazines, swag, boost membership numbers for many groups, learn about the ones you’re less familiar with, get volunteer opportunities, network. So, $15 here, $20 there for memberships. If you’re already a member of all the ones you like, my second option would be to sign other people up for memberships as gifts. Third option would be to look into specific projects and see if You can earmark money to a project You like.

Camoflash

FNG
Get into the one that peaks your interest. I’d say all in if you wanted to be as helpful as you could towards them

IF all other things were equal, the best bet would be to join all the ones you’re interested in. Get a bunch of magazines, swag, boost membership numbers for many groups, learn about the ones you’re less familiar with, get volunteer opportunities, network. So, $15 here, $20 there for memberships. If you’re already a member of all the ones you like, my second option would be to sign other people up for memberships as gifts. Third option would be to look into specific projects and see if You can earmark money to a project You like.
+1 here

The other benefit of membership in multiple groups is that you can be included in their "head count" when they go to decision makers and say "we have XX members that represent this idea and we are asking to do YY instead of ZZ". There are several groups I'm a member of in not much more than "name only" but I support their cause and spend more of my time and money on other groups that I am even more into.

DracoPuy

FNG

Thanks!
I think that 10 is too much for 100$, it is better to invest 5 at 20$. I once heard that you don't need to keep all your eggs in one basket.

Maniac_Ant

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
As someone who has always been curious about this sort of stuff myself this was a very informative thread, Just wanted to pop in and say Thanks, guys! you're doing the lords work

Z71&Gun

Lil-Rokslider
Buy Duck Stamps, 100% to habitat conservation with no cut going to business overhead and such.
This is my go-to at Christmas time. Everybody gets a card with a duck stamp. The first year I included a print out with the stamp's history and where the money goes. People seem to love the idea. Thanks to Sam Soholt for the inspiration.

TheWhitetailNut

Lil-Rokslider
To answer this, I would need to know what your intent was. Meaning: do you want to help wildlife, or just feel good because you got a new goofy hat or other meaningless "swag" to throw in the pile with all of the other ones?

Memberships really don't do anything. Not in political clout, and not on the ground. The purpose of the membership is a loss leader to foster a relationship until you can or will make a more substantial contribution. If I dug into the books of these orgs. I'm sure I would find "spreading it around" actually decreases my impact on real world wildlife improvement.

As for me? I support 2, but can do it in a more meaningful way. I also prefer to buy land and improve it for wildlife, which I enjoy immensely in addition to giving animals a better place to live.

Either way its an investment. Flippantly sprinkling "eggs" in the stock market would not return anywhere on the order of making one good investment. I know this methodology seems harsh, but select one and get very involved, make an impact!

It makes no difference provided NONE OF THEM ARE CONNECTED TO THE NRDC. "Some conservation organizations" are not concerned with habitat or species or improving squat...some are about leftist agendas, money & power. They seek to restrict your rights and remove you from the equation. Support an organization operated by hunters and fishermen if ya wanna spend money wisely.

inline 6

FNG
I always say charity starts right here as I point to myself. You would be better off doing something yourself with that $ so you can personally see that it did some good.

Big.J

FNG
I would say to pick those you believe are aligned with your beliefs and divide the amount.

It makes no difference provided NONE OF THEM ARE CONNECTED TO THE NRDC. "Some conservation organizations" are not concerned with habitat or species or improving squat...some are about leftist agendas, money & power. They seek to restrict your rights and remove you from the equation. Support an organization operated by hunters and fishermen if ya wanna spend money wisely.
And some are about helping right-wing conspiracy theorists raise money for themselves and their cronies.

There are a lot of good organizations out there that do legitimate conservation work that will make a real difference on the ground. Just be sure to look into them first.

And some are about helping right-wing conspiracy theorists raise money for themselves and their cronies.

There are a lot of good organizations out there that do legitimate conservation work that will make a real difference on the ground. Just be sure to look into them first.

It may be helpful if you can identify these organizations BY NAME (if you actually know of any).

It may be helpful if you can identify these organizations BY NAME (if you actually know of any).
I was referring to folks like LaPierre and his cronies. But that's already been covered here on another thread.

Too many good organizations out there who do real conservation work to throw your money at those who just use it for political propaganda. That was my point.

I was referring to folks like LaPierre and his cronies. But that's already been covered here on another thread.

Too many good organizations out there who do real conservation work to throw your money at those who just use it for political propaganda. That was my point.

The National Rifle Association is not a conservation-based lobby, they focus on the Second Amendment which is purely political. They don't pretend to be anything else and i am a long time supporter. There is a reason the Leftist in Congress want to pass gun control laws and it isn't to make you safer...it's to take entire control of the people. Hell even CBS gets it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwAZzN49pfI

Last edited:

Hammer123

FNG
I would say 100% to a GOOD organization that you believe is doing something to better our community is better than 10% to 10 organizations that may not be using the full amount to give back.