100 Yard or 200 Yard Zero for Dialers I’m Hunting Rigs

For you folks that dial for distance on your hunting rigs, do you Zero your rifles for 100 or 200 yards?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For simplicity alone, zero at 100. That’s the luxury of being able to dial, if needed. You don’t have to have all those random zero distances. Also, if zeroed at 100, a hold at 300 is only going to be a few .1’s of a Mil depending on what you are shooting.

CO2130

WKR
I guess I’m the oddball but I zero at 200. I don’t see the benefit of an “easier zero”. I also think zeroing at 200 allows you and your rifle to show more of the potential. Plenty of people and rifles can shoot 1/2 moa at 100 but at 200 it could start to show some imperfections. I also rarely have shots under 200 but have had many around 200 and it’s nice to hold dead on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iman

FNG
For a clicker, zero at 100. When in the field and quick shots are expected, make a 0.5 mil or whatever is equal in moa adjustment ahead of time that will extend your point blank range to around 300 yards depending on the caliber. Just remember that your
are no longer “zeroed” if additional adjustments are required.

easilyamused

Lil-Rokslider
200, because anything inside 250 is just point and shoot. There isnt always time to range and dial for a shot, and ive seen guys with 100 zeros start to panic when the animals at 220 yards and theyre fumbling with the rangefinder and looking at a dope chart. Target shooting and dialing each and every shot isnt a realistic practise for hunting, keep it simple and know and practise your holdover for shots up to at least 3-400 yards, beyond that then you should have time to set up for a good shot and getting your ballistics accounted for.

If you think about it, a 100yd zero is what makes sense. I also carry my rifle "dialed" for 250 walking around, but you should zero at 100. Having the fewest influencing variables on your true zero is important, and this just gets more true with distance.