1000-1500$ rifle scope

Looking for advice on a rifle scope in the 1000-1500$ price range. I’m considering swaro z5, leupold vx series and nightforce shv series. Not opposed to others. Going to mount on 300 win mag. Hunting Idaho. Elk, deer moose etc. don’t need to shoot long range. I’m a 500 yard and under hunter.

Themic86

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t used a SHV but have used swaro a and Leupolds. SHV has never made a gun as they weight 30 oz and others are in the high teens to twenties. Both Leupold HD and swaro have great glass and either will do fine. Leupold is easier for dialing as the CDS dials I prefer over the X5 BT system and you get illumination for fairly cheap addition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FNG
I have a Z5 and a few VX scopes. I buy mine used for 50-75% of what a new one is. The Z5 is my favourite but nothing wrong with the others. The VX5s are really nice too.

WKR
Under 500 yards I'd go with a SWFA 6x Milquad if you can find one. It'll run you $300. I'd bed a rail to your action and use Seekins or ARC rings. Use the rest of the money for ammo or reloading supplies to practice with. Have a number of those scopes and they track very well. Also have Nightforce SHV, NSX, and ATACR in the safe. They'd all do fine.

Don't overlook the rail and rings or go cheap there.

LZek10

FNG
I have the Leupold VX6HD 3-18x50 and it is very clear. The only thing I have noticed is if you move your head around, the crosshair will also move. Not a huge deal if your hold is the same every time, but something that did raise some concern when I was sighting my rifle in.

The Vortex Razor HD LHT might fit the bill too. I might have gone that route if it was available when I bought the Leupold.. Every Vortex scope I have used has been awesome.

Find a good used scope. I have used both and prefer the Swarovski for the glass hands down over Leupold. SHV are more rugged, but weigh a bit more.

I would take a look at the Leupold mk5. It can be had around 1500 if you find one used. It has great low light and great glass.

CBECK61

Lil-Rokslider
I've had great luck with all 3 of my VX5s but many on this forum have called in their durability. Great glass, good eyebox and I really like the locking turret design. I have a z5 w/ a BRH on a Sako 7 mag that is fantastic. Glass is better on the z5 but their turret system is lacking IMO. 13.5 MOA is all that you get out of the turret. 16.5 out of a reticle. Under 500 yards the Z5 is fantastic. From my experience the SHV tracks more accurately (reputation says more durable) than the other 2 options but is heavier and the glass is not quite in the same spot. VX5HD is a good sweet spot between the two. The new conquest scopes fall into this same class and I have heard great things about them but have no experience w/ them.

My personal preference is the Nightforce SHV. But I'm also not too concerned about the weight.

Vandy321

WKR
Zeiss V4...$900
Bushy LRSTi...$750

Both reliable dialers with solid tracking and glass that exceeds their price point.

Can't say the same about the VX or the Swaro...this forum is filled with posts with issues from those optics

I've had fantastic luck with the durable and stout Leupold VX3i 4.5-14x40mm scope with the B&C reticle. For me the B&C reticle is quick and easy to use and gets you on target out to 500 yards. First animal I shot with that scope was on my Model 70 280AI. Nice big old cow elk at 450 yards. Zoomed the scope to 14x and put the 450 yard hash mark on the center of her lungs. One shot and done! Zeiss Conquest has a similar ranging reticle system that also works nicely and a scope of their son my son's 300 WSM has worked nice. He also has the 4-5-14x40mm Leupold on his 6mm Remington and it's performed as expected. The 280AI is what I used on my grizzly bear the fall of 2019 and got a wonderful bear. The shot was only 158 yards so didn't need to worry about range or hold but the scope stayed clear and sharp through days of rain.