1000+ yard rangefinder

Lefty35

FNG
Hey guys, I’m looking at getting a rangefinder that I can reliably get ranges at 1000+ yards, I’ve been looking at the Sig kilo 1600bdx, Leopold RX-1400 and the Athlon Midas 1 mile. My question is do any of you have in the field experience with these? What can i reasonably expect for ranging distance on deer sized game, trees and targets.

Thanks!

I know it's not on your list, but i have the Leica 1600B. 1k very reliable and consistent. Better glass than the leupold and sig that I have looked through too

JGRaider

WKR
I"ve been messing around with various RF's for years.....Swaro, Leica 1200, Leupy TBR1600, Sig BDX2200, Geovids. My expectations are that on deer or any animal for that matter, expect a max readout of about 1/2 what the specs are. For instance, my Sig BDX2200 I expect a max of about 1000 yds on deer. Haven't seen that much difference in any of them in this regard, even the current Geovids.

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
I would not recommend the sig if you want 1000 yards. I have the 1400bdx and really like it, but it maxes out on whitetail at just over 600 yards. As stated previously, I expect about half the distance they say. I would not hesitate on the 2200 or a vortex either.

OP
L

Lefty35

FNG
I would not recommend the sig if you want 1000 yards. I have the 1400bdx and really like it, but it maxes out on whitetail at just over 600 yards. As stated previously, I expect about half the distance they say. I would not hesitate on the 2200 or a vortex either.
I should have been more clear in my original post, 600-700 on game will be plenty for me as long as I’m able to range trees or bigger objects at 1000 or better is your 1400bdx capable of that?

OP
L

Lefty35

FNG
I"ve been messing around with various RF's for years.....Swaro, Leica 1200, Leupy TBR1600, Sig BDX2200, Geovids. My expectations are that on deer or any animal for that matter, expect a max readout of about 1/2 what the specs are. For instance, my Sig BDX2200 I expect a max of about 1000 yds on deer. Haven't seen that much difference in any of them in this regard, even the current Geovids.
Thanks for the insite, that is my expectation as well, if I can range game around 600-700 yards and bigger objects trees etc. At 1000 or more that’s what I’m looking for.

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
I should have been more clear in my original post, 600-700 on game will be plenty for me as long as I’m able to range trees or bigger objects at 1000 or better is your 1400bdx capable of that?
I'm honestly not sure how far I can range trees. I have next to no areas I can go out that far. I will try to reach out that far Saturday and can get back to you on that.

Macintosh

WKR
IME trees are easier to range than animals but you'll still get nowhere near the advertised range. Advertised range will be in perfect conditions and a hard reflective object--white steel plate, etc is maybe best case. My older sig 1200 I get maybe 400-500 reliably on animals depending on conditions, probably 600-750 on trees, and I have never once gotten 1200 on anything. I kept it and use it for archery or the woods, and got a RF bino's for longer range. I have a newer 1800 from sig that has gotten me to at least 800 on trees but have not really stretched it out. hey are fine RF's, just have a reasonable expectation for them--if you want 1k at all reliably on trees I would get at least an 1800-2000yd advertised range.

7wssm

FNG
Sig kilo2000

For the money there is no rangefinder that has the ranging capability of the kilo2000. Easy 2,000 yard hits and you will be able to range deer at 1k pretty easily. I’ve seen Leicas and Swaro have a hard time ranging 600 and the Sigs will hit it instantly.

I had the kilo2000 for quite some time before I went to the kilo3000 and let me tell you, there isn’t anything within respectable shooting distance that I can not range. I’ve gotten up 3300 yards with it.

For more…

I’ve used some of the old larger vectronics and newcon stuff for military. The new stuff looks user friendly.

Are you guys using tripods to range stuff at 1000 yards? I can't hold steady enough to range a deer that far away.

Macintosh

WKR
Are you guys using tripods to range stuff at 1000 yards? I can't hold steady enough to range a deer that far away.
yes, unless you are well above the animal or across a canyon or something and can simply hit the ground anywhere around the animal, it can be really hard to be sure what you are ranging out that far by hand especially if there are any trees or sloping/flat terrain around the target. a tripod helps a lot (or at least resting the RF on a tripod or solid object), and you can range it several times in quick succession or range something else with a known similar distance (a tree, rock, etc) to confirm your range to ensure you arent hitting stuff in the foreground or behind it. it's not rocket surgery but it can take a little practice to get consistently accurate ranges in a situation like that. You will also get to know your rangefinder if the laser is off a tiny bit from the aiming point--many are, even from the reputable companies, and ranging out a ways will illustrate this.

7wssm, you are getting significantly better performance than I ever have ranging out to or even past advertised range. Even sig doesn't claim that kind of range--I don't question you got it, but I'm not sure it's something people can rely on in variable conditions for field and hunting use. I think Sig has discontinued the 2000 model, but this is what they say about their current 1600 directly off their website:
max reflective range: Up to 2000yds (i.e. a maximum of 2000 yards under best conditions)
Range on trees: Up to 1000 yards (ditto above)
Range on deer: up to 800 yards (etc)

For what its worth I think its good they seem to have gotten away from naming the model off of a best-case range, i.e. in the past the "1200" model had a max reflective claimed range of 1200y and I found even this to be optimistic.

Last edited:
OP
L

Lefty35

FNG
Sig kilo2000

For the money there is no rangefinder that has the ranging capability of the kilo2000. Easy 2,000 yard hits and you will be able to range deer at 1k pretty easily. I’ve seen Leicas and Swaro have a hard time ranging 600 and the Sigs will hit it instantly.

I had the kilo2000 for quite some time before I went to the kilo3000 and let me tell you, there isn’t anything within respectable shooting distance that I can not range. I’ve gotten up 3300 yards with it.
Seems like they have discontinued the kilo2000 and the 2200? If they haven’t they would be perfect for what I’m looking for.

Blackstorm

Lil-Rokslider
I can't say I use all the features of the Maven RF-1, but this past elk season out west it reliably ranged past 1500 yards elk and mule deer. The glass is clear and the slightly larger size of the unit helps in holding it steady, but for the long range stuff I put it on my shooting sticks with no problems. I love this unit and I tried a few of the Sig units which are good the Maven was better