103 yard, 3 shot group bowhunting practice video

Thought I'd share a recent video I took of myself shooting a 103 yard, 3 shot group on Sunday. Once again...with proper equipment, proper tuning and proper form/practice regimen you will produce consistent long range performance. Practicing this far ensures my bow and arrow setup are dead on. As always...you need to push yourself and your practice sessions to get better. I am pushing my 2010 Maxxis 35 at 78.5 lbs, shooting a 503.4 gr. FMJ arrow at 296 fps...my setup has never been more accurate or more forgiving. 2012 is shaping up to be a great year! Perfect practice makes perfect!

I did a similar video last year at 101.3 yards.

I love the challenge and skill involved in getting a bowhunting setup to shoot consistently at long ranges.

http://youtu.be/SIKLzTmNi7Q?hd=1

Enjoy,

Brady

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
Nice shootin! Can't ask for much better at that kinda range... Is that a Fuse Sidekick you're shootin?

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
It looks like a Hoyt CRX35, Fuse Satori 2-Piece Quiver and a Spot Hogg Hogg Father sight. I couldn't see the rest though...

That was pretty neat watching. Looking at the seconds click by on Youtube you held for 12 sec, 12 sec 13 second, which equals consistency which equaled a good (great)group

muleyman

Lil-Rokslider
That was some excwllent shooting! I look forward to seeing some grin and grip pics of some well deserved trophies this year.

weaver

WKR
Awesome group. I also like to practice out to a 100 but my groups are rarely that good.

twp1224

FNG
103v yards

At 103 yards it's hard enough to see the bag, but to pick the center right target, and put 3 arrows in a group like that takes skill. Good job brother.

OP
BackcountryBull
Thanks for the compliments, everyone!

Whats the setup on the bow as far as sights, rest and stuff like that???

Bow: 2010 Hoyt Maxxis 35 with 80 lb limbs dropped back to 78.5 lbs.
Rest: My own custom combination of an AAE Pro drop with top limb activation, with an AAE Freakshow overdraw long bar bracket. (I'll get a close-up picture of my rest setup.) A lot of guys call me crazy for still shooting an overdraw claiming it is "old" technology and not needed
Arrows: Easton FMJ 300's cut to 27.25" weighing in at 503.44 gr. (I have a 31.5 inch draw length) pumping out 296 fps.
Sight: Spot Hogg, Hogg Father with a .010 single pin in a green fiber.
Quiver: 2009 Model Fuse Satari Quiver
Stabilizer: 2010 model Fuse Sidekick with a custom combination of weights and other Fuse stabilizers to balance my bow perfectly.
Peep: 5/32" Titan Titanium peep

I bought the bow new in 2010...and each year I drool over the new Carbon bows Hoyt puts out...but I just can't seem to get ride of a great shooting bow like the Maxxis 35.

OP
BackcountryBull
That was pretty neat watching. Looking at the seconds click by on Youtube you held for 12 sec, 12 sec 13 second, which equals consistency which equaled a good (great)group

Thanks, Rick! I appreciate that. Filming yourself and still pictures are a great way to evaluate your shooting.

Why 103?

Nice group.

I love the practice long ranges...as it makes 50 yards and under seem so easy to make. Hunting situations are very unforgiving and you never know with what type of shot you will get...so I like to be ready and be able to handle situations under pressure knowing that I have shot further during practice a bunch of times before.

Also I love to geek out on bowhunting and bowhunting practice...plus tuning sessions.

vcb

WKR
looks like fun. Really dig shooting long range and watching the arc of the arrow finding its mark!

littlebuf

Banned
Thanks, Rick! I appreciate that. Filming yourself and still pictures are a great way to evaluate your shooting.

I love the practice long ranges...as it makes 50 yards and under seem so easy to make. Hunting situations are very unforgiving and you never know with what type of shot you will get...so I like to be ready and be able to handle situations under pressure knowing that I have shot further during practice a bunch of times before.

Also I love to geek out on bowhunting and bowhunting practice...plus tuning sessions.

i think he meant why 103 and not 100.thats what i was going to ask too.103 seems kinda random, but maybe theres a good reason.what 105 to far for ya chicken

OP
BackcountryBull
i think he meant why 103 and not 100.thats what i was going to ask too.103 seems kinda random, but maybe theres a good reason.what 105 to far for ya chicken

So littlebuf, lets say you range a mule deer buck at 46.4 yards bedded on flat ground...are you you going to ask that mule deer to walk a little closer so you can use your 40 yard pin? Or are you just going to gap your 40 and 50 yard pins...cause that is not accurate in my opinion.

Or are you going to set your adjustable sight to 46.4 yards exactly...knowing that you will center punch him right at the exact hair behind his shoulder that you are aiming at?

I was shooting at 103 to check each and everyone of my long range sight marks...I can go to 125 yards. Eventually I try to hit every mark to see if my sight tape is off or if there is anything I can do to improve. I leave no room for error.

Here is a group I shot that day at 110 yards. 4 shots. This is my best 4 shot 110 yard group ever! I normally don't take target shooting "trophy" shots...but I was extremely proud of this group and I have my camera there so I thought I'd snap a picture.

485267_774494415056_23503535_35484084_479321579_n.jpg

Last edited:

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
Man that's impressive! Great shooting, what lengths and weights are you using on that sidekick??