10mm Ammo would you rather?

How important is hollow point instead of fmj for defense?
So many variables. Heavy clothing or not etc.
I never use to carry a 9 but wanted smaller and lighter.
So I asked my Infantry buddy.
He said everyone he ever shot w 9mm fml immediately decided to do other things then keep trying to kill him.
But listen to the Bj Baldwin podcast on Free Range American
His experience says the 9mm is a pos.

So many variables. Heavy clothing or not etc.
I never use to carry a 9 but wanted smaller and lighter.
So I asked my Infantry buddy.
He said everyone he ever shot w 9mm fml immediately decided to do other things then keep trying to kill him.
But listen to the Bj Baldwin podcast on Free Range American
His experience says the 9mm is a pos.
Thanks. I just got a 9mm to carry and was curious about it after reading this.

Got sig v crowns for carry and got FMJ for practice. But this thread got me curious. I'll check out that podcast

WKR
Where in the winds? If southern, save the $. The further north you go, the more likely you'll find grizz.

tdhanses

WKR
I'm the same boat, picked up a G20 today. Got 2 boxes each of buffalo bore and Underwood hard cast 220's. Going to see which once cycles the best and roll with that.

The cost is irrelevant when it comes to your safety. Even my wife understood that.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
220’s tumbled in my stock barrel, I had to get a lone wolf barrel to shoot them, 200gr did not tumble.

echampion8

Lil-Rokslider
Anything with a really flat meplat is going to be far better than a hollow point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I just ordered 5 boxes of Underwood 200 hardcast. I have two Glock 20s. One at home and one at the cabin. I believe is was Hickok45 that tested 200 and 220s in a G20 and the 220s started to tumble. Good enough for me. I plan on a little target practice and rapid-fire testing of both of my G20s to make sure they feed without issue. I had a little bear on the porch is this week at home and bears are common near our place in Alaska. Bears have never done anything but look at us and move on but you know the stories. " It happened so fast I did not have time to react" Learn the phrase "hey bear" and repeat it often and loudly anyplace you do not want a surprise encounter! If you have a surprise encounter the Glock will still be in the holster when Moma bear gets to you. At this point buy any hardcast in stock because it took months for the Underwood to be back in stock and I bet its already sold out. The way I shoot the G20 so far I will need to aim at the right ear and hope to make contact before she gets to me.

DEGdog

FNG
You're going on vacation in WY/MT for a week. Doing an overnighter in the Wind Rivers then heading up to MT to camp/fish the rest of the time. Maybe going through Glacier. You're from Pennsylvania where black bears are the biggest thing in the woods.

So you own a Glock 20 and carry Sig 180gr FMJs in it when you're in the woods normally and hollow points around town.

Would you rather spend $50 on 40 rounds of Underwood hard cast for your week out west? Or just call it good with the Sig FMJs that you have and save your money.

Oh and btw money is fairly tight (you can afford the ammo but your gf might get ticked off) and you also have bear spray you plan on taking.

What would you do if you were me?
You already have bear spray which every expert will tell you is more effective than a handgun. You already have 180 ball ammo. And the odds of needing either are tiny. I’d say call it good with what you’ve got and spend the 50 on something to make the trip more memorable.

DEGdog

FNG
How important is hollow point instead of fmj for defense?
If you’re asking about self defense from humans, hollow points are pretty important. They dump most of their energy in the bad guy, stopping the threat. FMJ dump most of their energy in the person standing behind the bad guy and give the bad guy more opportunity to do harm. Exit wounds in bad guys are not desirable.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
Hollow points in civilization and hardcasts in the woods for me. For all the things in life money is spent on I'll take a bit more piece of mind than a couple of drinks and a pizza.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
Accuracy and nerves of the shooter are 10000X more important than ammo choice, headstamp or brand of gun. One to the noggin does a good job of stopping the program from running. A 10mm in the guts is not quick enough to keep you from getting destroyed.

Wib

Lil-Rokslider
There are instances when bear spray will work, but there are no instances where spray will outperform a properly used firearm in the event of a bear attack. You want no more than you can proficiently handle, and I would want no less than the 10mm which is my standard carry. Hard cast penetrating bullets, never soft bullets for bear protection.

Mt Al

WKR
Accuracy and nerves of the shooter are 10000X more important than ammo choice,.

This, this and this.

My inner Junior/Amateur Psychologist now takes over: bears don't lurk around every tree lying in wait for unsuspecting out of staters to munch on. There are WAY more than there ever have been and it's stupid to not be prepared. That said: focusing on one bullet over another is a "I feel like I'm protecting myself and my family" vs. "I'm going on a trip, am frankly as prepared as anyone, and I'm going to focus on having a good time vs. freak out over something with 0.00005% difference in the whole outcome".