10mm Ammo would you rather?

I’m voting for Underwood hard cast and it is what I carry in mine. But the problem is 50 rounds isn’t enough. I’d want to shoot no less than 50 through the gun to make sure it cycles that ammo with no malfunctions and also test the accuracy. I shot 20 rounds for accuracy then rapid fired 2 magazines of the Underwood 200gr through my xDM 10mm and called it good. Yes, most will say that isn’t enough testing and I’d agree. I’ve since shot more through it of Underwood 200 and 220. But that was my initial test before carrying it in the woods. My gun has never once jammed firing any brand, bullet weight, bullet type, my own reloads, one handed, sideways, dirty, you name it and has been good to very good accurate with everything. So I’m pretty comfortable with carrying it. I load my own 200 and 220gr rounds for practice. It’s tough on the pocket book but if you are going to carry it for self defense then you need to prove it works.

All that said, I’d go on the trip with the bear spray and what you have and be happy and looking forward to it.

DEGdog

FNG
You have a source for this statement?

Eddie

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Thanks for these DEGdog.

There is a lot to read here, but my cursory review of these articles stresses avoidance, but the real hard numbers are hard to find. Maybe more reading will reveal facts.

Also, what I've read often mentions bears being injured/killed and that is one big reason to use bear spray. These statements tell me the leanings of those writing the articles.

The attached pic was in one of the articles. Not sure what it's supposed to be showing, but does it makes sense to anybody?

Eddie

Attachments

• BS.PNG
    BS.PNG
    812.2 KB · Views: 61

DEGdog

FNG
Thanks for these DEGdog.

There is a lot to read here, but my cursory review of these articles stresses avoidance, but the real hard numbers are hard to find. Maybe more reading will reveal facts.

Also, what I've read often mentions bears being injured/killed and that is one big reason to use bear spray. These statements tell me the leanings of those writing the articles.

The attached pic was in one of the articles. Not sure what it's supposed to be showing, but does it makes sense to anybody?

Eddie
I think that picture is stressing the importance of having another person standing between yourself and the bear

Wrench

WKR
Thanks for these DEGdog.

Eddie

That picture says those bois need to spend more time in the woods and learn how to get on target and know the trajectory of their weapon.

This picture is akin to the high point ejecting brass straight up due to the ghetto hold.

Useless.

”In Tom Smith’s bear-spray research, just 10 of 72 bear-spray incidents involved charging bears. Most incidents involved curious or non-aggressive bears. In contrast, his gun study examined bear attacks only. Comparing the two studies is like comparing the injury rate for people picking up apples to the injury rate for people picking up live hand grenades.”

I think a firearm is close to 100% effective when used correctly, however I'd hate to guess how many carrying one can use it effectively. I'd bet it's under 50%, likely less than that.

Spray is easier for most to use.

tuffcity

WKR
Thanks for these DEGdog.

Eddie
That pic shows that by the time the bear is close enough for the spray to be effective their cans will be empty. ,, and the headline will be "bear spray fails"...

eddielasvegas

I think that picture is stressing the importance of having another person standing between yourself and the bear
Exactly and that's durn funny.

That's not a pic I would have included in an article of this type, but I'm also a dumb IT propeller head who knows little of how to write. OTOH, if it's zero's and one's, I got a chance to understand it. :eek:

Eddie

I looked for awhile and couldn't find it.
Maybe I heard it on a podcast.

But I remember hearing/reading that the effectiveness of spray is reduced quite substantially if the bear had been sprayed before.
Like 99% to 75 to 50% on the 3rd time.

But at this point I cannot back up my claim.

Personally I'm a gun guy.

Beendare

WKR

”In Tom Smith’s bear-spray research, just 10 of 72 bear-spray incidents involved charging bears. Most incidents involved curious or non-aggressive bears. In contrast, his gun study examined bear attacks only. Comparing the two studies is like comparing the injury rate for people picking up apples to the injury rate for people picking up live hand grenades.”

Yes sir, ^ one has to read between the lines on these studies.
The dirty little secret with bears and gun encounters is- most are successful and never get reported.

DEG, are you a hunter? Your BYU link recommends;
  • hike in groups
  • avoid areas of poor visibility
  • make noise as appropriate
  • avoid startling mothers with cubs
  • be more cautious in brown bear country
Dude, we are hunting, not on a stroll with the fam.

Last edited:

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Dump GF, buy two boxes of what ever you want. Then buy five new guns and lots more ammo. I don't see the problem.

eddielasvegas

The dirty little secret with bears and gun encounters is- most are successful and never get reported.

• hike in groups

In my cursory review, all I could think of is this reads like a "wholistic" approach tp bear defense that requires
all of us to perform our "due diligence" to keep the bears safe and then if that all fails, stand in a circle and starting singing Kumbaya."

And in the final attempt to save your azz, be sure and call in the bear counselors. I know they can fix it.

Eddie

DEGdog

FNG

• hike in groups

I was asked to provide the basis for my comment that experts recommend bear spray over a sidearm. I did. I didn’t write the frickin papers and haven’t seen anyone produce a peer-reviewed paper to the contrary. Yes I hunt and if I was archery hunting in grizz country I’d probably carry both spray and a sidearm (probably one of those 10mm that kill bears like Thor’s hammer).

Beendare

WKR
I was asked to provide the basis for my comment that experts recommend bear spray over a sidearm. I did. I didn’t write the frickin papers and haven’t seen anyone produce a peer-reviewed paper to the contrary. Yes I hunt and if I was archery hunting in grizz country I’d probably carry both spray and a sidearm (probably one of those 10mm that kill bears like Thor’s hammer).
Gotcha.

Last edited:
I use 200 hardcast in my G20. Read about 220's tumbling but not sure. All the folks about are right about shooting what you feel comfortable with. I made sure to put 20 rounds of hard cast through before I felt ok to rely on them. Have fun!