10mm bear defense

LaHunter

WKR
there are dozens of threads & posts regarding this. use the search tool and you will get plenty of reading material.

Brendan

WKR
How about checking the other thread going on this right now, or the other 10+ on the same topic...

Brendan

WKR
More:

Brendan

WKR
More:

Pretty simple most people have shot and handled glocks or 1911s thousands of rounds more then any 44 mag revolver.
You cou buy 2 glocks 9mm and 10mm for the price of most 44s and 6 boxes of ammo.
Become very proficient in the use of said 9mm glock and transfer all of that into the 10.
I say it doesn't have as much to do with the round as it does familiarity and pistol ergonomics.
When you hand someone a glock they dont have to ask if its single or double action.
Just point and squeeze.

That’s a pretty good game plan for practicing with a 9mm, hadn’t thought about that. Thanks for posting

I've also never seen a 41 or 44 with trinium night sights.
Personally I have a 44.
But I've had it for years and this was before the glock 10 really got popular.
But the availability of holsters prices of ammo.
If I had to do it over again I'd have a glock 10mm for all the reasons I've listed.
Been waiting on a new fiber optic sight for my 44 for at least a month.
How long and how many options would I have for a glock sight.? Thousands.

OP
Teaman1

Teaman1

WKR
Certainly makes things easier going the glock route. I wish I could find a chart with modern hard cast loadings comparing penetration of different cartridges. I mainly wonder about that because the sectional density of the heaviest 10mm bullets is similar to the mid-weight 250-260 grain bullets. Hard to find direct comparisons like that

If you listen to hunt backcountry podcast they did a bear defense episode about may 2018.
They interviewed a guy that has a bear defense course.
He talks about some of the penetration tests hes done.
Cant remember his company name maybe they published some of that.

10mm auto = Ease of use, familiarity, More rounds on target, faster target acquisition and faster follow up. There’s pros and cons to each. I prefer my 10mm for bear defense. Just like I prefer brunettes to blondes. There’s no right answer. Just personal preference.

mcseal2

WKR
Big one for me is my 10mm's have a rail for a light plus the night sights. If I'm using the handgun instead of the rifle it's likely to be when I can't see the bear coming from far away which may be at night.

I have both a 44 and a couple 10mm's plus several 357's. The lower recoiling 357 or 10mm is easier for me to shoot well without flinching, especially when they are all loaded with heavy for caliber hardcast bullets. Less recoil means more and better practice for me. My 4" S&W 69 kicks harder than I want with even the reduced recoil Buffalo Bore 255gr Hardcast ammo. I want to try the Underwood 220gr Extreme Penetrator and maybe even the 160gr Extreme Hunter. Either would be hotter than the 10mm or 357 but may not penetrate more. When I shoot the Magtech 240gr JSP ammo that's around 750 ft/lbs of energy I enjoy shooting the 44 mag. With hotter loads and heavy bullets I just don't. At this point I feel like I would be more effective with the 10mm's I shoot better and more often. Scouting trip in black bear country a few weeks ago I still took the old S&W 386 357 with 180gr HC ammo though, I still love that gun and it's the lightest of the ones I trust. Need a better holster for the 1911 too and the Glock is at the gunsmiths.

Last edited:

Hpchacrx

FNG
If you get buffalo bite ammo the 10mm has just about the same ballistics as a 44 mag. But you have more shots than with a 44 mag revolver

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
If you get buffalo bite ammo the 10mm has just about the same ballistics as a 44 mag. But you have more shots than with a 44 mag revolver

Not even close to being true.

From the Buffalo Bore web site:
Heavy 10mm Ammo - 180 gr. Jacketed Hollow Point - J.H.P. (1,350fps/M.E. 728 ft. lbs.)
Heavy .44 Magnum Ammo - 270 gr. J.F.N. (1,450 fps/M.E. 1,260 ft. lbs.)

Their most powerful 10mm cartridge is a 180gr JHP producing 728 ft. lbs. while their most powerful .44 mag cartridge is a 270gr J.F.N. producing 1260 ft. lbs.

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
Just because I want something to talk/read about. Why would you carry a 10mm in grizzly country vs a 44 mag or 45 colt?

Personally I wouldn't carry a 10mm vice a .44 mag, but that's just my preference.

I'm always amused by the guys that claim that the 10mm will give them more rounds on target, I doubt it. I think that most of these guys have never really thought about how most bear encounters happen, it's not like shooting at a paper target.

Bears can run pretty fast, up to 35 or 40 MPH in short spurts, and usually you wont even know that they are there until they are only a few yards away. In a true self defense situation, you'll be lucky to have 3 to 5 seconds to respond. Most people wont get more than 2 or 3 shots off no matter how many rounds their gun holds.

Magazine capacity isn't of any value what so ever when you're picking a self defense bear gun, in fact, I think it's a bad thing. I think that a lot of people will tend to get lazy about practicing their reaction scenario because they figure that they will just dump a lot of rounds in to the bear, who needs to be accurate when you can just turn it in to swiss cheese right? That's a false sense of security and it wont really help your chances of dropping a bear when you are crapping your pants. The truth is that most people probably wont even make a real kill shot with 10 rounds when they are in a terrifying situation, there are incedents of people having to use up to 20 rounds on a 180 lb human being before the assailant was killed so what do you think it will take to drop a 600 lb bear that is coming at you at 35 MPH and is far tougher and more determined.

I want the biggest, baddest, gun that I can handle well enough to put a few shots in to the kill zone of a headon bear in as short as time as possible. I would rather put one well aimed .44mag round in to a charging bear than 14 poorly aimed, lower powered rounds from a 10mm.

OP
Teaman1

Teaman1

WKR
I share your thoughts exactly. I feel like the 10mm crowd is thinking they will get many more shots off and have better odds of a head shot. I think in a bear charge, if a semi auto is getting 3-4 shots, a guy that has practiced with his revolver should get 2-3 shots. From what I’ve gathered, you have a chance to connect with the hips of an average grizzly with a frontal shot using heavy hard casts. I feel like that ups the revolvers odds a bit. I just can’t find any true comparisons of 44 mag, 45 colt vs 10mm with hard casts. I might have to buy one and do my own testing I guess because if you ask about bear defense anymore, you are just referred to posts you most likely have already read.