10mm HSM, Double tap, Underwood chrony results.

Little experiment for anyone interested...

Shot 200 grain hard cast from HSM, double tap, and underwood (tek coated 200 grain) over a chrony.

No keyholing, no ftfs or issues. All were shot from Glock 20 factory barrel.

HSM

Double tap

Underwood

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
How'd the brass hold up? When I pushed it over 1200 it scared the crap out of me to see the bulge.

OP
rileybassman
How'd the brass hold up? When I pushed it over 1200 it scared the crap out of me to see the bulge.
They looked pretty good I think. Slight bulge on a few just above the case head. But nothing that scared me that much.
650e0ed0b666b5bfd02f903d0052d9c8.jpg
0dd3c093a5a160bf7bedc55c362fa9f9.jpg
2678cfe5e8d95e90c168d682a0266b10.jpg

OP
rileybassman
Even tho the Underwood was a hair faster, I almost preferred the double tap. Seemed more accurate. IDK that 25-50 fps makes much of a difference

OP
rileybassman
Wouldn't feed a steady diet of em... Only had 1 box of each. Will pick up another box or two of each. Wanna run 50 or so of each through and confirm reliability.

Underwood and DT eject noticably further then the range ammo I was shooting too.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Nice. I need to set my chronograph up and get out and do something similar now that the weather is getting nicer.

Wrench

WKR
Those don't look bad. My glock barrel made them have a sharp line and they looked pregnant.

OP
rileybassman
Those don't look bad. My glock barrel made them have a sharp line and they looked pregnant.

I also wonder if Underwood has softened their loads... From what I read they usually seem hotter then upper 1100s... Maybe the coating added some lubracation and lowered pressure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TauPhi111

WKR
That's consistent with what I got out of my G20 and my Caldwell chrony. With my 6" barrel I was hitting a hair under 1200 FPS with the Underwood 220 Hard casts.

mcseal2

WKR
Thanks for doing this. I just picked up my G20 tonight and shot it for the first time. I shot 30 Fiocchi 180gr JHP's rated at 1250fps on the box and then 2 of the Underwood 200gr hardcast loads. I just wanted to shoot a couple to see how the recoil was, I only have one box so far. I didn't notice a jump in recoil between the two loads.

I shot it pretty darn good. I don't love the feel or trigger of a Glock compared to my Sig 226 or 1911's, but it doesn't keep me from hitting with the darn thing. Kinda like my old Ruger P series pistols, don't feel the greatest but they shoot well. The Glock does feel better than the old P89 or P90's, but not quite as good as the P97 to me.

TauPhi111

WKR
Kinda of off topic, but has anyone shot the 150 grain extreme hunter load from Underwood? I bought some but haven't shot it yet. Got it for whitetails during Ohio firearms season but never got to use it.

This is just my opinion....and my sample sets are 1 and maybe 300. I lived in the deserts of New Mexico for about 10 years. Loved it. Channeled my inner Elmer Keith/Brain Pearce often. Spent a ton of time and money on handguns....and hard cast. I probably shot 300+ jackrabbits with 250K in a 44mag, but mostly 315 LFN out of some flavor of 45LC. I don't recall dumping too many on the spot and more often than not, I'd almost swear I could see daylight thru the .452" hole punched through them. Shot a coyote with a cast bullet on the lope....never did recover him after what I thought was a decent blood trail through the greasewood. Synopsis....not at all impressed.

Fast forward through some 454 Casull, 475 Linebaugh BFRs, and Super Blackhawk Hunters (before they were reintroduced and I got soaked for paying what I did). I took a treed black bear a few years ago. Spot and Stalk and it winded and treed while I was stalking. Didn't weigh it. Decent. Several years old, but eastern WA bears are much different than NJ bird feeder bears. Fall bear....225-250lb boar. Used a 480 Ruger Super Redhawk. Various angles and it was thick. Bear ate a full cylinder. These were 385 grain WFNs. I felt like shit. Never again. I've sworn off HC.

Bassman lives in legit grizzly country. I own a cabin/property in legit grizzly country. So this in not Midwestern "Wishful Thinking" and day dreaming of a "Bear Load" should I ever go Out West.

I'm quite confident an XTP or Gold Dot will penetrate adequately from a 10mm. A Lehigh more so. Forums have gone round and round for pages of people "parroting" the same stuff. BB, DT, or Under 200 or 220 HC.

As Crowder says: " I think pushing a dinky .401" HC hole through a bear is far from the best bullet when many other jacketed, controlled expansion bullets are readily available.....Change my Mind"

OP
rileybassman
This is just my opinion....and my sample sets are 1 and maybe 300. I lived in the deserts of New Mexico for about 10 years. Loved it. Channeled my inner Elmer Keith/Brain Pearce often. Spent a ton of time and money on handguns....and hard cast. I probably shot 300+ jackrabbits with 250K in a 44mag, but mostly 315 LFN out of some flavor of 45LC. I don't recall dumping too many on the spot and more often than not, I'd almost swear I could see daylight thru the .452" hole punched through them. Shot a coyote with a cast bullet on the lope....never did recover him after what I thought was a decent blood trail through the greasewood. Synopsis....not at all impressed.

Fast forward through some 454 Casull, 475 Linebaugh BFRs, and Super Blackhawk Hunters (before they were reintroduced and I got soaked for paying what I did). I took a treed black bear a few years ago. Spot and Stalk and it winded and treed while I was stalking. Didn't weigh it. Decent. Several years old, but eastern WA bears are much different than NJ bird feeder bears. Fall bear....225-250lb boar. Used a 480 Ruger Super Redhawk. Various angles and it was thick. Bear ate a full cylinder. These were 385 grain WFNs. I felt like shit. Never again. I've sworn off HC.

Bassman lives in legit grizzly country. I own a cabin/property in legit grizzly country. So this in not Midwestern "Wishful Thinking" and day dreaming of a "Bear Load" should I ever go Out West.

I'm quite confident an XTP or Gold Dot will penetrate adequately from a 10mm. A Lehigh more so. Forums have gone round and round for pages of people "parroting" the same stuff. BB, DT, or Under 200 or 220 HC.

As Crowder says: " I think pushing a dinky .401" HC hole through a bear is far from the best bullet when many other jacketed, controlled expansion bullets are readily available.....Change my Mind"

Yea idk for sure... I'd consider a soft point or copper bullet... I just don't think a HP that is designed for 14-16" of penetration in "human" mass would get the needed penetration... at least with brown flavors of bears. I think with a 10mm you will need all the penetration you can get - I've heard and seen that with like a .44 and a soft point, you can get both expansion and penetration tho... especially for black bear hunting etc. Just like with rifles, shot placement trumps all... a pissed bear with a .40" hole in it's heart can take a little while to expire... so the thought with HC is that you are breaking as much bone and physically disabling the bear until you can convince the bear that it's actually dead lol. I've put several horses down and used a .40 S/W and a .357... and with a CNS shot, even 1200 lb critters go right down. End of day - shoot what you can sling the most bullets the most accurate with and bring extra underwear... and pray you never need it lol.

Wrench

WKR
The bear I shot in the head was a 200xtp @ 1250 measured fps. Impact distance was 10' and penetration was measured by me at 16"....iirc. retained weight was good. Bullet deformed from a perfect mushroom....but it went in/out skull, hit vertibrae and stopped in the lower neck/upper shoulder.

20170513_220134_zpspnavslrs.jpg