10mm Pistol Choice

I am sure this has been discussed at length here. But I couldn’t find the exact question answered. Trying to compare Glock 20 and Springfield XDM.

I have carried a Glock 19 or Glock 26 pretty much every day for the last 10 years. I have taken a two day class for combat handgun and fighting pistol applications each year and I train regularly. I have about 20,000 rounds through my Glock 19. Super familiar with the platform, and comfortable with the 9 mm offerings.

Should I just buy a Glock 20 since I am familiar with the platform? One thing I have noticed, because of the difference in grip thickness it is definitely a different animal to Handle.

I’m wondering if anyone has a preference one over The other of these two pistols and real world experience with each so the comparison is real. Application would be back up protection in grizzly country.

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
Thats a question only you can answer for yourself. What do you think a group or strangers are going to be able to tell you that is going to be better than your own personal experience and preferences?

OP
Bezamaelee
Thats a question only you can answer for yourself. What do you think a group or strangers are going to be able to tell you that is going to be better than your own personal experience and preferences?

Well, First off, I consider the information and input I get on this forum to be helpful and I trust a lot of the guys on here and their opinions. So while they may be strangers, I’ve gotten a lot of good information from here.

Second, I have zero experience with either pistol that I asked about. To form an opinion I would need to handle and shoot both, neither of which I have access to. That is why I asked for the information and opinions of someone who may have handled and shot both. That being said, it is not a question that only I can answer for myself, if I’m asking others. That is the point of asking the question.

I don’t feel like my original post was really that complicated. What the heck?

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
Well, First off, I consider the information and input I get on this forum to be helpful and I trust a lot of the guys on here and their opinions. So while they may be strangers, I’ve gotten a lot of good information from here.

Second, I have zero experience with either pistol that I asked about. To form an opinion I would need to handle and shoot both, neither of which I have access to. That is why I asked for the information and opinions of someone who may have handled and shot both. That being said, it is not a question that only I can answer for myself, if I’m asking others. That is the point of asking the question.

I don’t feel like my original post was really that complicated. What the heck?

Calm down there, buddy. No need to get your Underoos all up in a bunch.

Stick with the glock if and when it counts, if you are already accustomed to the glock platform then it will be second nature with another one. They are both good guns, both shoot well and both will fire the same lead at the same speed to the same place... stick with what you know

OP
Bezamaelee
Stick with the glock if and when it counts, if you are already accustomed to the glock platform then it will be second nature with another one. They are both good guns, both shoot well and both will fire the same lead at the same speed to the same place... stick with what you know

That’s helpful. Thanks

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had both, I stuck with the XDm over the the Glock. I had a Gen 3 20SF and have a 4.5” XDm. When shooting full power loads through both the XDm sits in my hand better. With the 20 every 4-5 rounds I had to readjust my grip as the pistol moved under fire. The XDm doesn’t have that issue. My 20 was also under sprung and would get frame slap with any type of hot load while the XDm seems to manage just fine. Now I am sure the gen 5 Glocks have a ton of improvements and we all now Glock has about a billion options for aftermarket parts so I couldn’t give you an answer about that. What I do know is I prefer the stock XDm over the Gen 3 20SF that had a lone wolf barrel, upgraded spring, night sights added, trigger well under cut and a ghost trigger linkage installed.

OP
Bezamaelee
I’ve had both, I stuck with the XDm over the the Glock. I had a Gen 3 20SF and have a 4.5” XDm. When shooting full power loads through both the XDm sits in my hand better. With the 20 every 4-5 rounds I had to readjust my grip as the pistol moved under fire. The XDm doesn’t have that issue. My 20 was also under sprung and would get frame slap with any type of hot load while the XDm seems to manage just fine. Now I am sure the gen 5 Glocks have a ton of improvements and we all now Glock has about a billion options for aftermarket parts so I couldn’t give you an answer about that. What I do know is I prefer the stock XDm over the Gen 3 20SF that had a lone wolf barrel, upgraded spring, night sights added, trigger well under cut and a ghost trigger linkage installed.

That’s really good feedback. By the time I upgrade the Glock I will have spent a lot money I could by ammo for the XDM With.

muddydogs

WKR
While I like my XDM 5.25 pistol then again i'm an XD guy. I would think if you have that much time and ammo with a Glock it would be no question. Both pistols are fine pistols so either one will work just as well.

MHWASH

WKR
I already commented on the two pistols on your other thread. If I were you, I would buy some Buffalo Bore 9mm Outdoorsman 147gr hardcast and use one of your Glocks that you are so familiar with. While I enjoy shooting the 10mm, I feel that if I was to be charged by a bear I would get more accurate follow up shots with a 9mm. I feel I’m good for one accurate shot with the 10mm, the rest would just be “spray & pray”. I most likely will be packing my Shield 9mm with me for this reason. Which I have for several years between 10s.

Chuckybmd

WKR
I own the X DM 5.25 in10 mm. I own several Glocks as well. In my opinion shooting 10 mm changes the shooting experience enough that it is more about the comfort of the grip and how the gun handles for you personally.

What I’m trying to say is, I think the difference in The cartridge performance changes the experience more than the difference in platform.

I chose the X DM over the Glock because it has a slightly longer barrel which increases muzzle velocity, also the sights were better stock. I also found the grip more comfortable for my hand. I wasn’t able to get the Glock in the SF model.

One downside to the X DM is less available after market parts and holsters. I never thought of this prior to purchasing though I was able to get a decent rig from alien gear holster’s.

Outlaw99

WKR
You really need to shoot both and see what fits you best. It’s kind of like guys saying buy this boot or that pack....it all comes down to personal preference. As much experience as you have with a Glock already, I’d think your muscle memory would already lend to the Glock feeling more natural. I grew up handgun hunting with stout 44’s all the way up to 460 S&W; so when I purchased my 10, the whole recoil thing was really a nonexistent factor for me. I’ve been a die hard 1911 guy for years, but I have to admit, right now my Glock 20 is my favorite gun to shoot. I just wish it were cheaper to re fill. I personally like the ability to upgrade it to whatever you want in a gun. The downside is yes, it costs more money to do so. I immediately swapped out the factory barrel of a KKM, swapped out the sights for tritium night sights and replaced the guide rod and spring with a tungsten rod and heavy spring. It literally took about as much time to do that as it did to type this. The gun has been flawless since I did that and crazy accurate and easy to shoot. I didn’t intend for it to serve that role, but it’s literally became my do all gun for most situations. In short, I absolutely love the Glock 20.

Stalker69

WKR
I was a 1911 fan boy and had several brands spring field, Dan Wesson, kimber, les Baer and hated glocks for the longest time. After shooting some friendly “ competition” with a few buddies my whole outlook has changed and now I own more glocks then any thing. Sold my last 1911 about a year ago. I do still like single action revolvers, and if hunting prefer a single shot or revolver. But defense type, a glock is normally found on me any more. So for me it would be my glock 20 if I was set on 10mm. But it could be a Ruger black hawk 44 mag, or a freedom arms 454 casual. I would be perfectly content with any of them.

Sobrbiker

WKR
I prefer the XD, but that’s because I don’t like how Glocks fit me.
If I liked Glocks, a G20 would be my choice. Fk all the fancy addons, it’s a great tool just as it comes.

I went Glock 40 w/ DeltaPoint Pro 2.5 and co-witness Dawson Suppressor sights. But I'm a big guy with large hands and my EDC is G22.

Beendare

WKR
Big advantage to staying with one platform you know....Glocks.

Thats what I did G20 SF. I wanted fast draw and shoot...the longer sight radius of the G40 didn't help me with that though you do get a little more horsepower from the longer barrel. The compacts weren't as easy for me to control...and put accurate shots on target quickly.

FWIW, Mine is stock but for a SS Guide rod and the $.25 trigger job I do on every Glock. I shoot Underwood 200gr hard cast in mine [700 rds total with no malfunction] at 200rds you start to see the signs of discolor in the barrel...no lead problems with 300rds in one session.

Assuming you are going to clean it every once in awhile, the lead buildup in Glock barrels thing is overblown.

BTW, that G20 is quickly becoming my favorite Glock...you know ...my protests robbing a Best Buy and Target gun.

_______

Last edited:
I haven't messed with the XD but I like my G20 SF in my gunfightersinc chest holster. Can wear pack, not wear a pack, etc. and still have program compliance.

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re already familiar with Glock, there’s no reason to switch.

I’m personally anti-grip safety, especially as it’s implemented on the XDs. It’s unnecessary and is a potential failure point for a gun that might be exposed to dirt and debris.

(Former XD owner. Liked them. Tripped both of them when I switched calibers and decided it was a good time to replace them with non-grip safety guns).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I had the same question and went with the XD-M 10 since the grip fits my hand much better and I liked the sights better. The G20 was a little too large for my hands. I carry a G19 or 26 for work every day so I am very comfortable with Glocks but in this case I had more control while shooting the XD-M. I also saw the 10,000 Hydroshok round failure test they did on the XD-M with no jams or malfunctions so that gave me a warm fuzzy.

Hughiam

FNG
I had the Glock 20 but honestly couldnt hit anything with it. And I lost the tip of my index finger on my right hand so the trigger just didn't work right for me. I went to a Rock Island double stack 1911 in 10mm. Its a larger grip, but I can hit something with it, it holds 16 rounds and was inexpensive enough to take everywhere.