10mm Pistol Choice

I'll be another vote to try the guns first. And don't just try it for a single magazine, put at least a hundred rounds through each. I really wanted a 10mm, but I've got small hands and couldn't find one that fit (I tried several including the Glock and XD). I switched to an FNX-45 tactical and it's night and day better for me. I run an upsized spring and 45 super for bear protection and cheap stuff for practice. It's extremely easy to shoot and comes with all the upgrade you'd do to your Glock , which negates the cost difference.

I like the XD platform. I run the XDS 9mm (CCW) and XDM 10 mm sidearm while bowhunting. Installed aftermarket night sights on both. Grip and trigger works for me.

Last edited:
I went through this dilemma last week. Hold them both and see what feels the most comfortable. I went with the XDM as I'm not one that liked how the Glock felt in my hands. I also have a 9mm XDM that has never missed a beat, so I might be a little biased. Made the decision a little easier for me.

Tradchef

WKR
I went with the XDM over the G20. I went in planning on buying the G20 long slide but the Springfield fit me way better. Either one is going to do well for you.

If you’re already familiar with Glock, there’s no reason to switch.

I’m personally anti-grip safety, especially as it’s implemented on the XDs. It’s unnecessary and is a potential failure point for a gun that might be exposed to dirt and debris.

(Former XD owner. Liked them. Tripped both of them when I switched calibers and decided it was a good time to replace them with non-grip safety guns).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CHOSE the XDm with a strong bias FOR the grip safety. In a chest rig, either Kenai or HPG Kit bag...gives me a much more warm and fuzzy flagging my arm, or my wife. Or simple overall safety when fumbling around inside a tent or campsite

fmyth

WKR
I wanted the Glock but it just didn't fit my hand. I ended up with the XD-M 10. The first time I ran the hardcast Buffalo Bore ammo in it I had a stove pipe. I believe I limp wristed it. After that I made damn sure to keep a tight grip and have never had another issue. I have close to 200 rounds through it now and no other issues to report. I carry it in a Kenai Chest holster lightly down and under my KUIU bino harness. It's much bigger than my 9 and has taken some time to get used to.

MidwestElkHutner

Lil-Rokslider
I was lucky that there was a range close to my house that had the Glock g20, g20sf, g40 and the XD-M all in 10mm to test. I went with the g40 gen 4 MOS. The g40 just fit my hand better and in turn was more accurate. The XD-M and glocks all were quality handguns the others just didn't fit me as well. I have put around 1000 rounds thru the g40 from 180 grain inexpensive practice rounds to Buffalo Bore hardcasts and it has functioned flawlessly. The g40 is my first and only Glock. I don't think you can go wrong with the g40, g20, g20sf, or the XD-M. My hunting partner tried all of them as well and went with the g20sf cause it fit and he shot it the best. As with every weapon it's about what fits the individual the best. It doesn't matter if that weapon is a handgun, rifle, or bow. Go with what fits/feels the best to the user.

Last edited:

PMcGee

WKR
I won a kimber raptor II. Going to get it in 10mm. Anyone have any input? I’m not much of a pistol guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't carry a sidearm on a lot of backpack trip if rifle hunting, depends on the country and cover. But when I do whats worked for me best after several iterations is a glock 29. Its a touch lighter but the bigger plus for me the smaller size. Just banging around on stuff. Carry it on my pack belt but the same attachment on the kydex holster works pretty good hooked on your pants for toilet and wood outings from camp.

TimeOnTarget

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot both a glock 19 and a 20 frequently. Both are Gen4s. FWIW, Generally i shoot the 20 more accurately than the 19. I did upgrade the guide rod and spring to shoo the heavy underwood stuff but otherwise its a stock 20. 19 is bone stock.

PantaRhei

FNG
My vote is for Glock 20 or 29. I've got both, but have more experience with the 29 (my CCW with a Trijicon RMR mounted). 29 will be lighter, 20 will be a bit more controllable. I've got Kenai chest holsters for both, and recommend them to everyone. I sold all of my Springfield guns (except for my TRP Operator) when they pulled their political stunts in Illinois. I refuse to give them any of my money.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ll never get rid of my Glock 20s, they are durable, simple and fit my hands well. It’s pretty wet where I live and I rip around on my jet boat a lot so lots of spray, I don’t even have to think about maintenance with the glocks. I have the xdm as well but have not had it long enough to make a real assessment of it, the Glock 20s I have are all vetted since the newest of the 3 is about 5 years old now.

Im a Glock fan boy. I've got small hands but found the large frame Gen 4 to be comfortable. Only thing I did notice was some bite on my right birdy finger. But a little dremel tool work I did a relief cut and it fixed it.
I really like the 10mm. You can run 40 through it and there's some cheaper ammo out there for plinking like Blazer for about $18 a box. Underwood has bear loads for $18 and these are super hot accurate.

I went with the 40 over the 20 because I want to start handgun hunting. So I put a Trijicon SRO on it with suppressor height XS sights as backup.

It's a little heavier than the 20 probably. But dang that gun can shoot!!! I'll probably end up getting a 20 slide for it then swap out slides as needed.
9dae746f23c746e22b97bca1d88ee591.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Gen273

WKR
I have a standard Glock 20 Gen 3, and I like it very well. I also have a Kimber 10mm, that shoots lights out. However, if I had to choose, give me a Glock all day every day. And yes, I am a Glock fan.

Clarktar

WKR
For you guys with XDMs I have a 460 Roland conversion kit is sell or trade.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Im a Glock fan boy. I've got small hands but found the large frame Gen 4 to be comfortable. Only thing I did notice was some bite on my right birdy finger. But a little dremel tool work I did a relief cut and it fixed it.
I really like the 10mm. You can run 40 through it and there's some cheaper ammo out there for plinking like Blazer for about $18 a box. Underwood has bear loads for $18 and these are super hot accurate.

I went with the 40 over the 20 because I want to start handgun hunting. So I put a Trijicon SRO on it with suppressor height XS sights as backup.

It's a little heavier than the 20 probably. But dang that gun can shoot!!! I'll probably end up getting a 20 slide for it then swap out slides as needed.
9dae746f23c746e22b97bca1d88ee591.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
How you liking that optic?