10mm Pistol Choice

Im a Glock fan boy. I've got small hands but found the large frame Gen 4 to be comfortable. Only thing I did notice was some bite on my right birdy finger. But a little dremel tool work I did a relief cut and it fixed it.
I really like the 10mm. You can run 40 through it and there's some cheaper ammo out there for plinking like Blazer for about $18 a box. Underwood has bear loads for $18 and these are super hot accurate.

I went with the 40 over the 20 because I want to start handgun hunting. So I put a Trijicon SRO on it with suppressor height XS sights as backup.

It's a little heavier than the 20 probably. But dang that gun can shoot!!! I'll probably end up getting a 20 slide for it then swap out slides as needed.
9dae746f23c746e22b97bca1d88ee591.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Right on! Shooting 40 out of my stock G20 SF is one of it's best qualities. Range ammo can be nearly half the price! I also picked up 500 Ranger HP for $135 from LAX. It's hard to beat.

I have many thousand rounds of 40 and just can't bring myself to do it....like 1/8" difference in cartridges that head space off the case mouth. Pass

Are you concerned about the extractor? I have yet to see a post on a glock extractor failing due to this and a lot of competition shooters have shot a lot of 40 through 10mm glocks.

Anyone done a grip reduction on a glock 20sf?
I looked into it, but it voids the warranty and there isn't really a ton of improvement to be had. It's the main reason I ended up with a FNX-45 with 45 super. The intention is to get it bored out for 460 rowland later.

Though, I will say that after shooting my FNX for a couple of years my grip comfort has improved substantially, so I'm somewhat curious if I would have adapted similarly to a G20.

Sticky762

FNG
Aftermarket support can mean alot for item that last as long as firearms.
GLock the 1911 and M&P (no 10mms) are hand down the most supported pistols in aftermarket.
I personally Recommend the Glock 20 for a balance of weight, reliability, capacity and price point.

GLB

WKR
I have the Glock 20sf for a number of years and it is always with me when I’m hiking or bowhunting. I use my own hand loads that is accurate and pushes a 200 grain bullet at 1150 FPS. i think the Glock in 10mm will serve you well. I would also recommend getting the full size vs a compact.
FYI I was able to push that same load to just over 1200 FPS but I felt reliability was on the edge and accuracy was better at the slower 1150 FPS level.
I have shot a couple thousand rounds of that preferred load with 100% reliability.

I understand your reasoning behind staying with what you know. That’s why I carry a 1911, I shoot comps with a 1911 and when I decided on a bear gun I wanted light, I wanted a lot of rounds but I didn’t want to think twice about how to make it go boom because if I pull my 10mm out I’m assuming I’ll need it to go boom perfectly and flawlessly. So I got a 10mm 1911

I have owned several Glocks; 27, 29, 20SF and a Gen 4 G20. I preferred the grip of the regular 20 over the SF.
Id also look into the 1911 platforms unless you want a high cap Mag. The Springfield TRP is a solid setup for 10mm.

HZJ73

FNG
I'd broaden the options to .45 guns that are known to handle the slightly higher pressure of .45 Super.

One of my carry pieces is a HK USP Compact in 9mm/40 (slide swap)

For woods carry I'd go for the full size USP 45. Not a fan of the later HK45 finger groove grips since I have small hands -- but the HK45 works better for 90% of people.

Brief comparison of .45 Super to 10mm:

10mm has more lighter weight bullet options.
.45 has more heavier bullet options. If you're running a sub 4" barrel you can get a round just barely subsonic (!)
.45 punches a bigger hole. The value you place on this depends on your wound ballistic views.
.45 Super is slightly lower pressure.
Double stack 10mm guns exist. Personally I put zero weight into this.

What .45 Super and full power 10mm have in common:

For a bullet in the 180 grain ballpark .45 Super and 10mm both have ballistics that are nearly identical. About 700 ft lbs.