10MM Pistol for Hunting?

Blakelok

FNG
I’m wanting to pick up a 10MM pistol for hunting. Primarily whitetail and feral hogs in the Texas Hill Country.

I’m considering 3 pistols:

Glock 40
Springfield XDm 5.25
S&W 610 - 6 in.

Anyone have any experience with any of these? Would consider other suggestions, but not interested in 1911s.

Last edited:
I have a Glock 20 and have also spent time behind a Glock 40 as well. The 40 with a small MOA red dot is a nice setup. Factory trigger is decent on the 40 but a 25 cent trigger job makes it even better.

Wrench

WKR
I have a hunting setup 20 and some 1911's. I've killed a bear and an elk with mine. Both were with 200xtps at 1250 fps and under 15 feet.

I personally can't shoot my glock at anything over 20 yards worth a crap, but I can kill pop cans at 100 with my 1911's.

I have a Glock 40 with holographic sight. It's decent. I can hit a clay target at 35-40 yards pretty routinely, and I don't shoot handguns very well. I think it's pretty good for the weight. But I have been gravitating towards Sig's. Don't know if the P 220 is too much like a 1911 for you but I would look at those as well.

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got the Glock 40 and a family member had the XDM 5.25 in 10MM. Both are great. The only issues i have with the Glock are the normal Glock issues. I always take a dremel under the trigger guard. With the added recoil from the 10MM it just gets uncomfortable to shoot to me unless I take a little bit off to allow for some more room. I find the XDM more comfortable out of the box. Either one is a great pistol. I added a red dot to the Glock which you can’t do on the XDM model you mentioned, only the XDM 4.5 OSP model offers that.

One concern I would have with the XDM 5.25 hunting is the top of the slide has that cutout which could allow things (dirt, sand, grit, etc) to get in and cause some issues. Just something to think about.

Why get one, buy both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use a Glock 20 w/ TLR-1 and a new connector for punching hogs at night over by abilene...no issues whatsoever...works great w/ corbon's. Doubles as my backup when in wyoming. You can get a blade-tech dropped offset holster that can be worn while carrying a backpack easily and you are set. Been a while since i used an XD-M, the trigger was not as good as the factory glock in my opinion. no malfunctions or any issues like that when I was running it.

I have a hunting setup 20 and some 1911's. I've killed a bear and an elk with mine. Both were with 200xtps at 1250 fps and under 15 feet.

I personally can't shoot my glock at anything over 20 yards worth a crap, but I can kill pop cans at 100 with my 1911's.
This ^^^^ X10. So many people quickly offer up the G40. Had one and moved it quickly. I reload extensively and couldn’t get Happy. The fit and ergos in the big frame Glocks is terrible. But I did kill a buck with it.
Your money...but if hunting is the specific intent of the firearm..it’s pretty foolish to discount the better platform of the 1911.
FWIW....I also own the 5.25 and played with it extensively. I have shot legit 1 1/2” to 1 3/8” five shot groups with it...open sights at 25. With no “pulled fliers” or YouTube bullschit.
The XTP in 180 or 200 get the job done as well. Took a tree stand WT buck last season w Kimber 1911 10mm. One shot XTP. Spins circle in the dirt where he stood

OP
B

Blakelok

FNG
This ^^^^ X10. So many people quickly offer up the G40. Had one and moved it quickly. I reload extensively and couldn’t get Happy. The fit and ergos in the big frame Glocks is terrible. But I did kill a buck with it.
Your money...but if hunting is the specific intent of the firearm..it’s pretty foolish to discount the better platform of the 1911.
FWIW....I also own the 5.25 and played with it extensively. I have shot legit 1 1/2” to 1 3/8” five shot groups with it...open sights at 25. With no “pulled fliers” or YouTube bullschit.
The XTP in 180 or 200 get the job done as well. Took a tree stand WT buck last season w Kimber 1911 10mm. One shot XTP. Spins circle in the dirt where he stood

If I go up to 1911 level money I’m going to just get the Sig P220 SAO in kryptek.

BCD

WKR
I’ve got the Glock 40 and a family member had the XDM 5.25 in 10MM. Both are great. The only issues i have with the Glock are the normal Glock issues. I always take a dremel under the trigger guard. With the added recoil from the 10MM it just gets uncomfortable to shoot to me unless I take a little bit off to allow for some more room. I find the XDM more comfortable out of the box. Either one is a great pistol. I added a red dot to the Glock which you can’t do on the XDM model you mentioned, only the XDM 4.5 OSP model offers that.

One concern I would have with the XDM 5.25 hunting is the top of the slide has that cutout which could allow things (dirt, sand, grit, etc) to get in and cause some issues. Just something to think about.

Why get one, buy both.

Why can't you add a red dot to the XDM 5.25?

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
The only “optics ready” line that Springfield has is their OSP model which does not come in the competition 5.25 model, but the XDM 4.5. This comes with a cutout and base places to mount an optic. I think overall barrel length may be the same since it’s the threaded model (website says 5.3).

Wrench

WKR
Once you shoot a single action triggered gun that is turned to shoot a 200 at 1250-1300 you'll realize that no striker fired gun can hang in the hands of the 98%.

jaredg

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a 10mm fan, G29, G40 MOS, Dan Wesson 1911, Kimber Eclipse, Colt Deltas, etc. The only one that sees any real time as primary hunting or backup is the G40 MOS with a Burris FFIII (and a suppressor). I do occasionally carry the G29 outside, but the G40 is my go-to. That being said, all of your choices are solid options. Plus 1 for the Sig 220, built like a tank! The best shooter out of the bunch is the Dan Wesson, but it is too pretty to beat up, hence the G40

howl

WKR
You listed a revolver. First is revolver or not. If 10mm then not a revolver. Makes no sense when you can get better cartridges in revolvers. Sticking on 10mm means pistol.

If pistol then the question is Glock or not. If you use Glocks already then stick with it. No point in having to learn a new way of shooting.

If your other guns are not Glocks then don't bother with that weird grip. You can narrow down the field to what points naturally for you. 1911s probably will. Whether an XD does depends on your hands. Not that you'll point shoot but a gun that points for you will do fewer unpredictable things to throw your shot off in recoil.

OP
B

Blakelok

FNG
You listed a revolver. First is revolver or not. If 10mm then not a revolver. Makes no sense when you can get better cartridges in revolvers. Sticking on 10mm means pistol.

If pistol then the question is Glock or not. If you use Glocks already then stick with it. No point in having to learn a new way of shooting.

If your other guns are not Glocks then don't bother with that weird grip. You can narrow down the field to what points naturally for you. 1911s probably will. Whether an XD does depends on your hands. Not that you'll point shoot but a gun that points for you will do fewer unpredictable things to throw your shot off in recoil.

So go .357 in a revolver?

fmyth

WKR
I have the XDM. Wanted a 10mm and the Glock didn't fit well in my hands. I am pleased with the XDM. I carry it for bear defense when archery hunting and on AK fishing trips.

howl

WKR
.357 in a revolver is more versatile. The ammo will do serious work at appropriate range. The grips can be changed to fit most any hand. There is the weight over a plastic pistol to consider, of course. Depends on what one wants.

If you haven't shot more powerful cartridges, you might be surprised at how manageable a slower, but more powerful magnum cartridge can be. A full size .44 mag is much more pleasant than a light .357. A .45 Colt with ACP option will run the full spectrum from mild to stout.