10MM Pistol for Hunting?

Apollo117

WKR
OP already bought a pistol, but I'll throw my opinion in anyways.

I'm with @Kilboars. The Glock 29 is a very nice pistol for hunting. I've used a Glock 20, Kimber 1911 in 10mm, Colt 1911 in 10mm, XDS in 10mm, and P220 in 10mm.

After using all of those and several revolvers, the only pistols I care to hunt with are the Glock 29 and a S&W 329. Everything else is too heavy to carry comfortably. Especially while sweating my butt off chasing pigs in Central Texas.

OP
B

Blakelok

FNG
OP already bought a pistol, but I'll throw my opinion in anyways.

I'm with @Kilboars. The Glock 29 is a very nice pistol for hunting. I've used a Glock 20, Kimber 1911 in 10mm, Colt 1911 in 10mm, XDS in 10mm, and P220 in 10mm.

After using all of those and several revolvers, the only pistols I care to hunt with are the Glock 29 and a S&W 329. Everything else is too heavy to carry comfortably. Especially while sweating my butt off chasing pigs in Central Texas.

At one point I was a dyed in the wool 1911 guy - had over $12Ks worth ( 4 total) in my safe, carried them daily, shot comp, etc.

One day I decided to give a G30 a try. After some practice I found that I could shoot that gun just as quickly, just as accurately out to 50 yards. Sold all of my high dollar 1911s and ran that Glock exclusively for a few years. That particular model is known to be very accurate. I wonder if the G29 -being an analogue - has the same characteristics?

Wrench

WKR
You guys that say you hunt with a 29, have you shot legitimate 1200-1300fps stuff through it? My 10's in full sized guns are a handful. I can't imagine a downsized gun. My g20 with 200's going wide open is very similar in felt recoil to my 8 3/8" 460mag.

FWIW, when I shot out of the box 10mm ammo it was anemic.

Kilboars

WKR
I did put a finger extension on my Glock 29. Which makes it much easier to hold and is still compact enough to carry.

Attachments

• IMG_0443.jpg
    IMG_0443.jpg
    418.2 KB · Views: 30

Apollo117

WKR
That particular model is known to be very accurate. I wonder if the G29 -being an analogue - has the same characteristics?

In my experience, yes, my G29 is very accurate. Does it feel as nice in my hand as a full size 1911? Not quite, but it doesn't affect how well I shoot it.

Full disclosure, I installed an aftermarket trigger, tritium sights and recoil spring. The pistol shot very well without the upgrades though.

Apollo117

WKR
You guys that say you hunt with a 29, have you shot legitimate 1200-1300fps stuff through it? My 10's in full sized guns are a handful. I can't imagine a downsized gun. My g20 with 200's going wide open is very similar in felt recoil to my 8 3/8" 460mag.

FWIW, when I shot out of the box 10mm ammo it was anemic.
I have not shot 1200-1300 fps loads, nor 200gr bullets. I reload 180gr bullets slightly hot and the recoil isn't bad for me.

At one point I was a dyed in the wool 1911 guy - had over $12Ks worth ( 4 total) in my safe, carried them daily, shot comp, etc.
I know I should STFU but I won’t...aren’t you the OP? You’ve owned over $12,000 in 1911 handguns and used them in competitions...and were inquiring if the 357 is the next level up in power and were reluctant to get “into 1911 money” and were ready to opt into the 4 pound POS 220 just cuz it was in Kryptek camo?

rklein

Lil-Rokslider
Since OP has made a purchase, and since my question isn't too far off topic...

I have both a Kiimber 'Rapide' in 10mm, and the Glock40 MOS(factory sights) in 10mm.

I can shoot decent sized groups(for my level of practice), but my Kimber is high/left consistently. I shoot the glock better, and I don't have large hands(generally size medium gloves). The trigger on the Kimber is super nice. I just can't for the life of me figure out why I'd be able to shoot the glock better. I know its got a 1" longer barrel, but i'm not shooting past 20 yards generally. I do dry fire practice. I shoot both eyes open and do drills for eye focus. I can see the flash when the gun goes off for either gun, so I know i'm focused ok. Grip? I dunno.

It's not ALWAYS the Indian....in modern times it can be the Arrow. If your groups via Kimber are tight and consistent, then the sights are not regulated (adjusted) for that ammo and load. Group size is what matters, not it's impact location. Just like rifles, the handgun will prefer certain bullet/powder/velocity recipes.

You can buy 10 handguns of same make and model, and some will Shine, and most will be OK. Take 6 different selections of factory ammo and your score percentage will change, as will where the rounds impact.

With a handgun, unless the sight radius is extreme, or in some cases the sights themselves......all 3"-6"+ should be mathematically capable of nearly the same accuracy. Some will just be easier to shoot and more conducive to the human driving it better.

Having work as a LEO for 23 years...it's not always as simple as looking at the Dumb Dumb shooting chart and diagnosis the problem as "For a right handed shooter your target is showing unequal hand pressure or possibly milking the grip"

Beendare

WKR
JJ ^ great post.

Once you shoot a single action triggered gun that is turned to shoot a 200 at 1250-1300 you'll realize that no striker fired gun can hang in the hands of the 98%.

Wrench^ nailed it for you.

Don't get me wrong...love my G20...but its not a bulls eye gun.

The Glocks are great point and shoot defense weapons.....one of the best....but not an 'accurate at longer ranges' hunting gun.

I suppose if you wanted to make a Glock into a bulls eye gun you could put a lighter aftermarket Apex, Overwatch or Zev trigger in there.

Wrench

WKR
JJ ^ great post.

The Glocks are great point and shoot defense weapons.....one of the best....but not an 'accurate at longer ranges' hunting gun.

I suppose if you wanted to make a Glock into a bulls eye gun you could put a lighter aftermarket Apex, Overwatch or Zev trigger in there.

I've done all of the above. I have boxes of parts, and springs...dawson Precision sights. I tried like hell to make my g20 into the internet fable we all read.

Fact is that unless I'm on bags I cannot isolate the pistol while taking up that much travel. Big difference in #2 and .02" of travel and #2 with .003" of travel.

I carry a glock as my choice of cc gun.....but for a Precision rig, it's not for me.

I'd still like to meet these guys that can drain a g29 like it's a g19.

JJ ^ great post.

Yea....I got too Overcomplicated. I have HUNTED with the G40 and Kimber 10. Bear Defense and Bear Hunting are two different things. Offensive vs Defensive. Couple different tools in either case.

OP
B

Blakelok

FNG
I know I should STFU but I won’t...aren’t you the OP? You’ve owned over $12,000 in 1911 handguns and used them in competitions...and were inquiring if the 357 is the next level up in power and were reluctant to get “into 1911 money” and were ready to opt into the 4 pound POS 220 just cuz it was in Kryptek camo?

Lol. JJ I’m not sure how you got any of that from anything I wrote. My reticence regarding 1911s isn’t funds, it was maintance and tuning. Hence also the P220 - Camo color has no bearing on the choice other than as an adjective to describe the model I was thinking of. I never inquired as to the power level of .357 vs 10MM.

Dan Wesson is the only production grade 1911 I trust, and since it was a good deal, I decided to go with it.

Shoulda shut up. Not at all knocking your choice. Great one. I can't afford one. But would run one if a loaner or freebie.

Just thought with your amount of experience and samples of firearms it would be an easy answer and I would ask YOU for advice.

Totally heart the new 6" Springfield 10mm. Just not that much of a handgun nerd to dump another $1300 into one. Kimber 10mm wicked accurate and does the job for a Hunter to 40 yards. Your Wesson should add another 10-20 I'd think

T-moss

FNG
I just picked up a glock 40, I love it so far...
Can’t wait to get in the woods with it!

Apollo117

WKR
JJ ^ great post.

I fully agree that there are better hunting guns than a Glock... depending on the purpose and need.

I guess I should have said the Glock is my backup gun. If I was hunting solely with a pistol, then I would use a tuned 1911 or full frame revolver. However, I'm using the Glock, because my purpose for it is as a backup gun. I just need it to shoot minute-of-pig at 30-40 yards.

OP
B

Blakelok

FNG
Shoulda shut up. Not at all knocking your choice. Great one. I can't afford one. But would run one if a loaner or freebie.

Just thought with your amount of experience and samples of firearms it would be an easy answer and I would ask YOU for advice.

Totally heart the new 6" Springfield 10mm. Just not that much of a handgun nerd to dump another $1300 into one. Kimber 10mm wicked accurate and does the job for a Hunter to 40 yards. Your Wesson should add another 10-20 I'd think

Youre too generous. I was a younger guy with a good job and no kids. My only hobby was shooting and reloading. When the kids came along I had to slow down on all that due to time, and wanted to move to lower maintance guns. Fun while it lasted. Until just now I did not even own a handgun any longer.

CO-AJ

WKR
Do the G40 guys on here run hardcasts? I have been thinking about a G40 as a hunting/hiking/backpacking self defense type weapon. Hardcast bullets seem to have best penetration for dealing with anything in the lower 48. I have heard and read however that the polygonal rifling of the glocks play hell with hardcast rounds to the point of guys running into over pressure issues. A few swap out to an aftermarket barrel, but I wanted to see what this forum had to say.