10x vs 15x

I am looking at buying one high end binocular to fit my needs. 12x are not an option. If you had to pick one power, would it be 10 or 15? Mostly will be used for glassing, but may haul in pouch on chest. I do have a high end spotter. I am being stubborn and they have to be 10 or 15. Needs to be both truck and backpack binocs. I know I am asking a lot, but which way would you go?

MattB

WKR
If 12x was not an option (not sure that makes sense because it may be the best option in terms of what you describe), 10x definitely. 15x as your primary optic is simply dumb IMO. I say that because I know a professional guide who does that and in 6-7 days in the field hunting together almost literally in his backyard he has not spotted game before me with my 10x EL's.

It depends on many factors and there’s not enough info to provide an answer.

For the bulk of the hunts I do, my SLC 15s get the nod while my SLC 10s stay home. I love to glass and while I enjoy my 10s, they just cannot compete with my 15s for what and where I hunt most of the time.

The biggest gripe I have with glassing with my 10s is the increased frequency of having to swap over to a spotter for confirmations. It’s a huge time killer.

But we’re all different so go with whatever gets your rocks off.

Kurts86

WKR
10x always goes with me ALL the time. This would be my single optic choice. You can do a lot with alpha glass 10’s off a tripod.

15x goes most of the time as my big tripod glass but it’s gets left behind during September elk hunts or other lightweight/limited visibility hunts.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It depends on the terrain, but after having 8's, 10's, 12's, and 15's......12's are hard to beat. I sold my 15's, but if I was hunting desert or open type terrain a lot......I would have kept them. Most of my hunting is timber elk in the rut, so I take my 8x32's most the time.

nobody

WKR
Like has been said above, 10's over 15's for a one and done setup. I easily glass with my 10x50's well beyond distances I would ever shoot.

But that being said, please tell us why 12's just "aren't an option."

You won't be able to handhold 15's effectively (especially one handed if you're a bow hunter), 12's you kindof can (depending on the person). 12's give you more mag over a 10, better twilight factor than a 10, better field of view over a 15, truly a one bino to do it all. If I could hand hold 12's effectively I would run them, but I can't, so I run 10's. To me, your question of "10'x or 15's, 12's are not an option" warrants an unquestionable answer of: 12's. That's what you're looking for is 12's.

But hey, I'm just some random guy on the internet.

WoodBow

WKR
I will go against the grain and say 15s. I have 10 and 15 SLCs. The 10s only leave the house for whitetails. I am spoiled to the 15s for glassing. I guess it depends on the size country you are looking at but I want that extra magnification in almost every place we hunt. People say you can't hand hold 15s. I have not found that to be the case at all.

People like what they like. Try both if possible. You will have a preference.

JakeSCH

WKR
Elk or Deer? For Elk a 10x with no question. For deer, a 10x is works great under 1500 yards.

15x makes its home in desert country, small deer over big landscapes. So if the majority of your time is glass over 1 mile for deer, I would lean this way.

My vote would be a pair of used 10 EL's or 10 Victory SF's and never look back.

As a pure game spotter 15 SLCs on a tripod are hard to beat. But just because you can find a bedded animal or slow moving herd from several hundred/thousand yards away, doesnt mean you'll be able to find them with 15s as you get into range once you get into their zone. Arguably it is more difficult to find animals once you are on their side of the hill/level and thats where the hand held binos comes into play. Taking one/couple steps at a time as you come over a rise, or around a bend or into view where you last saw animals from afar as you make your stalk, it is critical to be able to scan with binos in hand. 15s are simply too much mag and too litle field of view to excel at this task especially with one hand. As much as I love my 12ELs for 95% of their tasks, even they are just barely par at animal aquisition in the final parts of a stalk, particularly if Im gassed after a steep climb, on day 5, low blood suger and with one hand (although kneeling and resting on trekking poles solves much of this). 10s or 8s (or better yet 6s) for the final stalk in that sub 400 yd realm are a much more valueable tool than the 15s could ever be. Im still waiting for a variable power 6-16 power bino with swaro level glass and a rangefinder with Applied Ballistics... Optics technicians, get at it!

B23

WKR
My daily driver for binos are Swaro 8.5x42 EL's. I have a set of 15x56 and probably use them a whole lot more than I do my spotter but for me they have to either be on a tripod or window mount because any movement with that much magnification really tends to nullify the extra power. So, IMO, unless you are going to always use these on a stable mount of some sort and had to pick between 10's or 15's I would choose the 10's all day long.

They're expensive but the new Swaro 10x42 NL Pure are pretty sweet and if you can swing a set of those, that'd be my recommendation.

why not 12s? I went through the search for the best do-it-all bino 5 years ago and did a bunch of field testing. The 12x50 EL resolve nearly as good as the swaro 15x for long range glassing, and are lighter and have better color rendition to them. They also have a larger in focus sweet spot than the 10x42 slc. It's a win win in my book.

JohnnyB

WKR
10s are super versatile. Off a tripod, they are great. I carry them in my harness and use them throughout the day. I pull out my SLC 15s only when I am setting up to glass with the tripod. They are great, but as many have said, if weight is an issue they stay in the safe.

I am looking at buying one high end binocular to fit my needs. 12x are not an option. If you had to pick one power, would it be 10 or 15? Mostly will be used for glassing, but may haul in pouch on chest. I do have a high end spotter. I am being stubborn and they have to be 10 or 15. Needs to be both truck and backpack binocs. I know I am asking a lot, but which way would you go?
My primary Binos are 15x56. I upgraded from 12x50’s. I carry them in an AGC Denali bino pack. I absolutely love them. Freehand isn’t great, but doable. I run them on a slik tripod or use my trekking poles for stability.

Jimss

WKR
If you do ANY still hunting there is no way to hand hold 15x. You’ll go nuts trying to glass as you hike with 15x. I can’t imagine having to set up a tripod every time I look through my binos. Im constantly glassing with binos around my neck as I hunt.

You will also find it is nearly impossible to glass with 15x when hunting through brush and thick timber. I hunt mostly open country but still prefer the wide field for spotting game with 10x.

You will also find that it’s almost impossible to field judge game with either 10 or 15x. That’s what your spotter is for.

I hike miles upon miles and I’d much rather have a 10x around my neck with a spotter and tripod ready to go. A 15x would be tough around your neck all day for many days.

No brainer..go for 10x all day!!! unless you are hunting coues deer in Arizona and doing nothing but searching for game long range in similar brush country while sitting from 1 spot.