10x30 for Dedicated Western Backpack Hunting?

ChrisAU

WKR
After toting around 28oz 12x50's and mostly hand holding them in Wyoming a couple weeks ago I am once again looking at lighter bino setups. I'm really intrigued by the 10x30 Maven B3. I know most will opt for an 8x in 30-32 mm, but I have Kowa 6.5x32's that I love that I think would crowd out an 8x30 in my system that I whitetail/turkey hunt with. For solely western backpack hunting I'm thinking some premium 10x30's may be the ticket? I like the Swaro Companion CLs but I'm not sure I'd be gaining much for the $ over the Mavens and you can't put a stud on the Swaro's for tripod use with my Outdoorsman's setup.

Anyone use 10x30's for elk/mule deer/pronghorn?

bigmooi

FNG
I got a pair of bx4s recently and they are decent. They make a 10x32 if you wanted to check out...

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
I got a pair of bx4s recently and they are decent. They make a 10x32 if you wanted to check out...

I do like BX4's and they tick a lot of boxes, the FOV on Leupold's website has to be wrong though, its the same as the 8x32. I'd like to find out what they actually are before they get serious consideration.

bigmooi

FNG
I do like BX4's and they tick a lot of boxes, the FOV on Leupold's website has to be wrong though, its the same as the 8x32. I'd like to find out what they actually are before they get serious consideration.
Nothing like typos, I am sure they could get you an answer pretty quick if you gave them a call, they have helped me by phone and email in pretty short times each time I have reached out. And the last time they went above and beyond by email by replacing a part that I didn't get since I bought an open box item, I just asked if I could buy the part and they responded with a message saying they will send a tracking number when the replacement part they order is sent out. Got confirmation in 24hrs after the email.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Nothing like typos, I am sure they could get you an answer pretty quick if you gave them a call, they have helped me by phone and email in pretty short times each time I have reached out. And the last time they went above and beyond by email by replacing a part that I didn't get since I bought an open box item, I just asked if I could buy the part and they responded with a message saying they will send a tracking number when the replacement part they order is sent out. Got confirmation in 24hrs after the email.

Yeah I'm not in a huge hurry, just sent them an email. Will probably buy something in the next month or two.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Well they e-mailed back pretty quick, lots of effort went in here lol, I bet the correct FOV is printed on the box for the 10x32's. SWFA lists it as 315ft/1000yds, which is probably correct...

Chris,

Listed below will be the field of view for both SKU: 172658 (BX-4 Pro Guide HD 8x32mm Roof Shadow Gray) and SKU: 172660 (BX-4 Pro Guide HD 10x32mm Roof Shadow Gray). Please feel free to email me back with any more questions.

• SKU: 172658 field of view at 1000 yards: 394 feet
  • SKU: 172660 field of view at 1000 yards: 394 feet
Regards,

Zachary

bigmooi

FNG
Well they e-mailed back pretty quick, lots of effort went in here lol, I bet the correct FOV is printed on the box for the 10x32's. SWFA lists it as 315ft/1000yds, which is probably correct...

Chris,

Listed below will be the field of view for both SKU: 172658 (BX-4 Pro Guide HD 8x32mm Roof Shadow Gray) and SKU: 172660 (BX-4 Pro Guide HD 10x32mm Roof Shadow Gray). Please feel free to email me back with any more questions.

• SKU: 172658 field of view at 1000 yards: 394 feet
  • SKU: 172660 field of view at 1000 yards: 394 feet
Regards,

Zachary
Hmm, not sure if you let them know the possible issue or question if they should not be the same... But to match the info you found...I saw 315' @ 1000yds from:

-Field of View315' at 1000 yd (105m at 1000m):

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Hmm, not sure if you let them know the possible issue or question if they should not be the same... But to match the info you found...I saw 315' @ 1000yds from:

-Field of View315' at 1000 yd (105m at 1000m):

Yeah my initial message was that the FOV spec had to be an error on the 10x because it was the same as the 8x. That was his reply. Just kinda funny.

Anywho, still looking. I really do like the BX-4s, but the Mavens beat them on FOV by about 10%. They are both in the 16-17 oz range which is where I want to stay.

I wish Swaro CL's would take an Outdoorsman's stud, that would be for sure what I'd get. I may even go that way and MacGyver a stud onto them ha.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Any other thoughts on this? Not sure Maven is going to do anything on the B3's for Black Friday...sigh.

As a side, I did buy some Zeiss Terra ED 10x32's off Amazon to try for $350. Good looking bino, glass seemed up to the job, but even though Zeiss sells a 1/4-20 tripod adapter for Terra ED binos, they don't have a 1/4-20 hole to mount them to! So they are being returned today.

I've been using Meopta 10x32 for five years or so now. I spend probably 80+ hours a year behind them on a tripod, and they work extremely well. I don't ever feel like I'm giving anything up to a 10x42.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Still undecided here.

Its mainly between the Maven B3 and Leupold BX-4 10x30/32. Though I’ve been so impressed by my Kowa 6.5x32’s whitetail hunting the last couple weeks I may just get 10’s in those for out West.