10x42 around $1000

OP
jt4

jt4

WKR
If you just said screw it to a budget, would all of you still pick the pair that you have now? Or is there a little flaw in the binos you have that would cause you to switch if money wasn’t a factor (say someone was just giving you a pair)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2blade

WKR
If you just said screw it to a budget, would all of you still pick the pair that you have now? Or is there a little flaw in the binos you have that would cause you to switch if money wasn’t a factor (say someone was just giving you a pair)

Yes, I would not switch. I own a pair of SLC's and would not trade them for anything else. I have looked thru just about everything that has been mentioned and being sensitive to CA and field flattener lenses, the slc's are by far the best glass for me. The next best, thru my eyes, as far as CA goes are the Trinovids. ymmv

I had a pair of conquest and was able to get a pair of slc. I had them both for a while. I sold the conquest a short time after. Not really apples to apples but the slc is that much better. I did really like the conquest a lot but just not enough to keep both.

SCOGS

Lil-Rokslider
Binoculars are a funny thing because the opinions are all over the place. There is no clear winner in the $1000 price range. Not only are everyones eyes different, but there are manufacturing variances within each brand that makes it very difficult to pick binoculars based off of others experiences with a single set of binoculars.

I've owned almost every bino in the 1k range. Swarovski SLC, Zeiss Conquest, Leica Trinovid, Tract Toric, Vortex Razor, Maven B1.... I think that's it. I really wanted to try the Nikon Monarch HG and never did.

The Razors were my least favorite, hands down. To me they didn't even compare to the others. The Mavens did not thrill me either, but there B2 line is supposed to be much better. I liked the ergonomics of the Leica the best and the glass was very good. Color hues were on the warm side. Tract Toric were very similar to the Trinovids for me and significantly cheaper. Swarovski and Zeiss had the best glass. I prefer the cool hues on the Zeiss. Swarovski was more neutral. I also preferred the ergos on the zeiss to the swarovskis as well.

In the end I sold off everything except the Tract Torics because I felt they were extremely close to the swarovskis but significantly cheaper. In hindsight I wish I would have kept the Zeiss Conquests because I preferred the glass over all the others, but I sold them to try the swarovskis.

In the end you need to try a few pairs and pick what works best for you. My eyes seem to prefer zeiss glass. Ive noticed the same trend with rifle scopes as well. Vortex on the other hand has been less than impressive in my experience. And swarovski seems to offer no advantage for the price other than there name. Just my 2 cents.

kiddogy

WKR
Binoculars are a funny thing because the opinions are all over the place. There is no clear winner in the $1000 price range. Not only are everyones eyes different, but there are manufacturing variances within each brand that makes it very difficult to pick binoculars based off of others experiences with a single set of binoculars.

I've owned almost every bino in the 1k range. Swarovski SLC, Zeiss Conquest, Leica Trinovid, Tract Toric, Vortex Razor, Maven B1.... I think that's it. I really wanted to try the Nikon Monarch HG and never did.

The Razors were my least favorite, hands down. To me they didn't even compare to the others. The Mavens did not thrill me either, but there B2 line is supposed to be much better. I liked the ergonomics of the Leica the best and the glass was very good. Color hues were on the warm side. Tract Toric were very similar to the Trinovids for me and significantly cheaper. Swarovski and Zeiss had the best glass. I prefer the cool hues on the Zeiss. Swarovski was more neutral. I also preferred the ergos on the zeiss to the swarovskis as well.

In the end I sold off everything except the Tract Torics because I felt they were extremely close to the swarovskis but significantly cheaper. In hindsight I wish I would have kept the Zeiss Conquests because I preferred the glass over all the others, but I sold them to try the swarovskis.

In the end you need to try a few pairs and pick what works best for you. My eyes seem to prefer zeiss glass. Ive noticed the same trend with rifle scopes as well. Vortex on the other hand has been less than impressive in my experience. And swarovski seems to offer no advantage for the price other than there name. Just my 2 cents.

some folks are also cursed with frankenheads, so one must also take into account which feels most comfortable to you .which fits you face the best.

I had a pair of conquest and was able to get a pair of slc. I had them both for a while. I sold the conquest a short time after. Not really apples to apples but the slc is that much better. I did really like the conquest a lot but just not enough to keep both.
I did just the opposite. Twice in fact. Didn't feel the SLC's showed me anything the Conquests didn't. Just goes to show that we all have different eyeballs. LOL

My experience in the $1K range is much like SCOGS. I am not sure how many of us have spent $1000 to figure out how to spend $1000 on binoculars. LOL

I have a pair of 12x50 burris signature selects for my sub$1000 binos but wouldn't hesitate on the mavens or check out lucid's 10x42 they run around $700.

I will also add styrka S7 or S9. I had a chance to use them a while back. The S5 blew away vortex razors in low light. The 7 and 9 were fantastic for the price. Not a lot known about them but they are great.

HntnFsh

FNG
I love the Meostars. Feel they are right with the SLCs for almost half the price. Go to Cabelas and take a few outside in the evening and do a comparison.
If you decide on Meostars check the difference in warranties between Cabelas Euro (Meostar) And Meopta Meostar. I think the Cabelas Euros are only warrantied through Cabelas. I don't think Meopta will warranty them. That would make me nervous. Plus I think you can get better deals on Meopta branded glass.

The start up companies mentioned have some great glass. But Ive been burnt before going that route and having them go out of business. The competition is fierce and I don't think some of them will be around in a few years. Not a gamble I would want to take.

I chose to stick to a company wit a known history and am extremely satisfied with my Meostar 10x42 binos. If you do a little looking you can get them new for about $850

TripleJ

WKR
I don't have much to compare them to, but I am really happy with my Zeiss Conquest HD's.

WKR
Been using the 10x42 Maven last 2 seasons. Really like them packed in an Alaskan Guide pack.

Firestone

WKR
It took a while but i searched on the classifieds, craigslist, and facebook. finally found a pair of swaro slc hd for 1150 bucks. After looking through a bunch of binos those were the ones i wanted so i held out for a good deal

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Do yourself a favor and go check out a pair of the Leupold BX-5s. That glass at that price point is ridiculous. I’m very picky about glass (work for Topcon) you cannot beat the BX-4 and BX-5 glass at Leupolds price points on them right now.

OP
jt4

jt4

WKR
I did try the BX-4. It seemed like the focus wheel was way to touchy compared to the others. They didn’t have a BX-5 for me to try or I definitely would have.

Also didn’t try the meopta/cabelas euro bc they seemed a lot bigger just from the looks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk