10x42 - EL Range vs NL Pure

Magnum61

Lil-Rokslider
Need some help with this - Thank you in advance

I've had a budget saved up for new binoculars and I wanted to go 1 and done with this purchase. I was looking hard at the NL Pure for a while and then the new EL Range was released. I'm ready to buy but I'm on the edge and confused.

The Outdoorsman's staff has been very helpful but I need some hard advice on this from individuals.

Do I buy the EL Range and take the hit on the value with a tech upgrade down the road or do I get the NL Pure's and run a simple rangefinder and my kestrel for shooting?

Again, I appreciate the input.

Swift

Lil-Rokslider
My vote is NL Pure ! I got mine from Doug at cameraland last week and I could not be more happy with them ( I run a sig 2400 abs for range) I just switched from 2017 EL field pro's

Flogger

FNG
I vote the NL Pure’s but I honestly prefer a small, separate rangefinder anyway. Plus I would also be worried with the electronic factor way down the road even though Swaro is made so well.
I was in a similar boat as you a couple weeks ago and went with the regular EL’s.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Optically the NL Pure is superior to the EL Range.
You mention your Kestrel. The EL Range does not link with your Kestrel as some other rangefinder binoculars do, so in that case another nod towards going with the NL.
Our pleasure to discuss this with you if you'd like to give a call, 516-217-1000

WRO

WKR
The NL pure are better optically, but the new Range have the swarovision and the ballistics are on par with applied ballistics unitl you go subsonic. They are actually a little better optically than the EL's..

Last edited:

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
NL Pure is like a new Corvette in your hand...EL feels like a 1980 Suburban compared to it...add the “range” to the EL and you now have a 24’ trailer attached to your old lumbering clunker.

NL Pure all the way. Upgrade your separate rangefinder over time as technology improves on that smaller piece of the puzzle. Not sure how they will upgrade the NL Pures, they truly are HD vision.

Reactions: WRO

Selous

FNG
Thanks to the OP for this thread. I’m dealing with the exact same issue - 10x42 NL pure vs the new range TAs. I’ve changed my mind about 10 times already. I’ve almost convinced myself that while we’re on the brink of really first rate connectivity between rangefinders, kestrels, etc, we’re not quite there. The Swaros lack kestrel connectivity and based on online reading there seems to be some tech growing pains with Leica (which have more capable tech, but models are pushed out with overwhelming frequency). The Leica are also significantly cheaper than the Swaro el range TA.

I hate to give up potentially game changing optics of the NL for tech that’s conceptually already dated and will only become more obsolete over the next couple of years. But damn, the ease of use and functionality of a combo unit is of real value ....

OP
M

Magnum61

Lil-Rokslider
I need to say thank you to everyone in this thread. Your real world experience pushed me over the edge.

Going with the NL Pure

I think the EL Range is an amazing tool, zero doubt.

To give some context, I’ve been in Advertising my whole career and grew up behind the camera on many large scale shoots. And even now with so much tech on sets, the best lenses doesn’t have a single piece of tech built into them. An external tool handles all of that imaging.

Also, you can duplicate the tracking feature very easily with a “compensated range” and a projected waypoint in the GPS. (Happy to explain that to anyone)

Again, I appreciate the input from everyone.

I had originally planned to buy the NL Pure , but instead opted for the SLC 15x56's today to pair with my Leica Geovid 10x42's. I love my Leicas so much and using the 12's with them didn't make much sense to me. The optics in the Leicas are awesome and the rangefinder works flawlessly for me. Hopefully I won't regret going this route lol