10x42 Glass for Elk

Drenalin

WKR
Trying to decide on a set of binos for my first elk hunt, and am looking at the options below. I'm not going to be counting inches or even points for that matter, just need to be able to spot elk. Anyone with experience with any of these, please let me know your experiences, good and bad. I am not going to be investing a lot in glass at this point, given what my goals are. So no Swaros or Leicas in my immediate future. Thanks!

Maven C.1 10x42 ~ $350
Meopta Optika HD 10x42 ~ $300
Vortex Viper HD 10x42 ~ $500
Vortex Diamondback HD 10x42 ~ $230
Bushnell Forge 10x42 ~ $480

Leaning toward the Mavens right now, but the Meoptas are looking good as well. Probably going to stay at 10x42, and $500 would be the top of what I'm willing to spend. Are there other options out there I should be considering in that price range other than what I've listed?

kiddogy

WKR
my advice is ….. spend the most you are willing to spend.
IMO optics are THE most important hunting item one can own. more important even then your weapon.
can't kill what you can't find!

speaking as one who went cheap for years and finally got smart and dumped the money for some swarovs . buy once ,cry once !
if you go cheap on optics, you can expect to be replacing the every couple years if they get much use. I have had my scls for over twenty years with no problems other then replacing eyecups which Swarovski sent me at no charge and I have never once regretted that purchase.

what I do regrett is the half dozen or more cheap purchases on binos I made prior to my wise choice.

imo bushnell is the sorriest quality optics on the planet. I wouldn't recommend a pair of them to anyone for any price.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Meopta would be a good choice. I also suggest strongly that you tripod mount them for use. A good binocular becomes a great binocular when tripod mounted. It makes a huge difference.
Our pleasure to discuss this with you if you have a few minutes to give a call, 516-217-1000
Doug

Matt G.

WKR
if you are willing to fork over 500 for the viper then go for meopta meopro instead or wait till out of season and get used meostar for 700 or less... diamondback was terrible...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Matt G.

WKR
there is some 8x conquests in classified now...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
D

Drenalin

WKR
The Meopta would be a good choice. I also suggest strongly that you tripod mount them for use. A good binocular becomes a great binocular when tripod mounted. It makes a huge difference.
Our pleasure to discuss this with you if you have a few minutes to give a call, 516-217-1000
Doug
Thank you Doug. Is there a particular lightweight tripod you would recommend? Since my glassing will be just to find elk rather than a particular animal I was considering just using a trekking pole to gain some stability.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thank you Doug. Is there a particular lightweight tripod you would recommend? Since my glassing will be just to find elk rather than a particular animal I was considering just using a trekking pole to gain some stability.
Please give a call, 516-217-1000, and speak with my brother Joel. He is the resident Tripod Guru

Lwilliams

Lil-Rokslider
Get the best quality 8-10x binoculars you can. I generally run 8 as that is plenty to spot elk without so much shake.

Lochtsa71

Lil-Rokslider
Been hunting elk in Idaho for many years and I would go with the 8x. You will appreciate the steady viewing vs the 10x, especially if you are not using a tripod.

I would not spend dime on the vortex, they just flat out suck. It's a good thing they have a lifetime warranty, so you can get them fixed and then sell them on Ebay.

The Maven and Meopta would be great for your price range and application.

As others have stated, I would get with Doug at Cameraland and pick his brain before pulling the trigger. He will hook you up.

I've and Vipers in the past, and my wife used to have Diamondbacks and now has Maven C1s. I think both the Vipers and the C1s are overall good buys, just depends on what you like. Never tried the Optikas but would like to.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve had a pair of those viper HDs for about 3 years now and I actually really like them. I’m not a vortex fan at all but those binoculars have served me well with zero issues.

Maven C1 10x42 are great. I use whitetail hunting. Hurt my eyes after a while because I’m used to looking throw cheap binoculars. I was amazed at the view, purchased on sale last Christmas.

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
I've had both the Vortex Diamondback and Vipers. I was pleased with both. Any of those you listed will be perfectly fine for spotting elk, deer, or whatever you want. I've got more expensive binoculars now, and while clarity and low light performance is a little better, I'm certainly not spotting more game. Spend what you're comfortable with....I'd imagine you'll be happy with any of those choices for your stated purpose.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk