10x42 or 8x32 for chest Binos?

• 10x42

Votes: 39 62.9%
  • 8x32

Votes: 23 37.1%

• Total voters

Tyler455

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve read every thread on this forum and others. I can’t decide. Feel free to elaborate. Same level of glass. I’m out west in AZ. I mostly “ hike around with a bow “ but hope to get drawn for AZ elk again and hope to venture to CO and WY.

Last edited:

brsnow

WKR
I just went back to 8x32, easier to hold steady with one hand. Work fine on tripod as well. Have a 50mm spotter if I need more details.

nobody

WKR
Here's my $0.02...

A 12x42 or 12x50 is more than MOST people can hold still when they're winded and excited. You can hold them still when you're relaxed inside of a Cabela's, but it's different in the mountains.

An 8x42 (in my experience) leaves you wanting just a little bit in the magnification department. It's easy to hold still, but is lacking out west.

That leaves me with a 10x42, and it's what myself and my entire family and hunting camp uses. Still can hold them still when winded, but plenty of magnification, and lets enough light through to glass right up to dark. If you only hunt back east, a 6 or 8 is probably enough, but for a catch-all set of optics, a 10x42 is right in the sweet spot for most people and would allow you to hunt everywhere from Wisconsin corn fields to Wyoming backcountry without too much compromise.

8x32 for all day viewing comfort, compact, light, wide field of view and pretty good low light performance. I use mine for mountain hunting in Alaska. Deer, Sheep, Elk, Goats.
I’ve used Leica 8x32 BN, Swarovski EL 8x32 and now Zeiss 8x32 SF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZDR

WKR
8x32...have the 10 but find when I am hiking around or really trying to hold on one small spot, the 10x get a bit shaky. Not so much with the 8's. Also, high quality 8's (swaros in my case) dont give up much to 10's.

I use both about an equal amount over the year. Not helping you am I? If only one, then 10x42 as I live where we have antler point restrictions on deer, elk, moose and caribou. Also age or horn curl restrictions on Stone, Bighorn and Dall sheep in most seasons. But I sure like the 8x32 for hiking and closer range glassing in areas with more cover....mesquite mule deer cover is tighter, grasslands are not. Where do you hunt? Pines on the North Rim?

OP
T

Tyler455

Lil-Rokslider
I use both about an equal amount over the year. Not helping you am I? If only one, then 10x42 as I live where we have antler point restrictions on deer, elk, moose and caribou. Also age or horn curl restrictions on Stone, Bighorn and Dall sheep in most seasons. But I sure like the 8x32 for hiking and closer range glassing in areas with more cover....mesquite mule deer cover is tighter, grasslands are not. Where do you hunt? Pines on the North Rim?
The lower deserts to the occasional trip to juniper and pine.

ericwh

WKR
On chest, 8x for field of view. My chest binoculars I am usually throwing them up quick taking a look at something and it's nice not searching for it.

Admittedly, no experience with 10x. I have 8x and 12x.

NoWiser

WKR
I'm a big fan of 8x around my chest. I had 10s and sold them and enjoy the 8s much more. But, I also have 15x I can throw on the tripod for situations that call for them.

I'd say if they're only for your chest, go 8x. If you'll throw them on a tripod often, go 10x.

OP
T

Tyler455

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a big fan of 8x around my chest. I had 10s and sold them and enjoy the 8s much more. But, I also have 15x I can throw on the tripod for situations that call for them.

I'd say if they're only for your chest, go 8x. If you'll throw them on a tripod often, go 10x.
I forgot to add I have 15s to compliment them when needed, but those trips in which I take only one are what are hanging me up.

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
Both have their place. It depends on the exact hunt and how much gear I'm hauling with me.

rene291

FNG

Totally agree

Gone back and forth between 8’s and 10’s a few times. I prefer the 8’s for the FOV and easier to steady when winded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoodie

WKR
I use both.

If I could only pick one I´d base it on the habitat/species I hunt most. Elk in the timber? 8x32. Deer in open country? 10x42.

Either bino is capable of performing on both types of hunts. Both have benefits and drawbacks. I tend to lean towards the lighter weight, easier one handed use and increased FOV of the 8x32.

Do you have, or plan to get, a spotter or 15x56? If so, I´d lean even more towards the 8x.