10x42 SLC vs EL

Steel Rain

Lil-Rokslider
So, last fall I purchased a pair of 10x42 SLC HDs from a fellow Rokslider. I now have an opportunity to buy a one year old new in box set of 10x42 EL. I like SLCs but curious to what makes a guy buy the ELs. Take price out of the equation and give me aome insight. BTW, the SLCs are my best binos I've ever had..

Thanks

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
Why? Because you want to have possibly the best Bino out there. I don't know the deal you're getting but if you could keep both and see which you like best and sell the other. Some people don't like the SV's as much as the SLC's. You have a good problem!

WRO

WKR
The EL's have better edge to edge clarity, do better at both detail and color, and the ergonomics are better imho. How much better is up to your eyes..

I don't think I could ever justify the price to upgrade from my SLC's to something "better". They have worked great for me since I bought them 8 years ago and will just take care of them for the rest of my life. I justified the initial purchase with the ol "buy once, cry once" and I don't want to cry twice, lol.

For the right deal, it may be worth it to you, only after you've been able to look through a pair compare the benefits vs additional cost.

Best of luck.

Trial153

WKR
I have both. I like the view from my 10x42 SLCs better then then my 8x32 ELs. I wish they made a 8x32 SLC's I would sell my El's. However the weight savings and compactness of the Els has a place for me on certain hunts.

elkguide

WKR
I have both and I use the EL's and my son has claimed my SLC's.
Like them both and the only reason that I bought the EL's was because of a deal that I couldn't pass up.

OP
S

Steel Rain

Lil-Rokslider
If the guy messages me back I will probably buy them and compare side by side. I'll keep the ones I like best and post the others on Rokslide. This is one of those too good to pass up deals. We will see I guess. Thanks for your tesponses.

TheCougar

WKR
Edge to edge clarity on the ELs is nothing short of amazing. Some people don't like the rolling ball effect from the field flatteners. I didn't use them enough to form an opinion on it one way or another. I like my SLCs, but if the price difference was less I probably would have gone with the ELs.

Last edited:

bozeman

WKR
Up to your eyes. The SLC were better for me.......couldn't take the rolling ball effect as mentioned, actually made it blurry real quick and gave me a headache, strange yes, but sold them......try and see as each have excellent resale value.

My eyes liked the SLC better. I did not see the edge to edge clarity that most people rave about on the ELs, they were about the same to me as the SLC. The SLC were also brighter and I prefer the ergonomics better than the ELs.

jr87mustang

Lil-Rokslider
SLCs for me, love them. I got the rolling ball effect as well with the ELs, made me "sea sick".

OP
S

Steel Rain

Lil-Rokslider
Well, it looks like SLC it is. I think the EL set was either stolen or they realized their price was too low. They wouldn't respond after I told them I had cash but inquired about the serial number. Oh well. Maybe next time.