10x42's on a Tripod... Who Does It?

BigSurArcher

Banned
I took a quick 2 day hunt this weekend, and found myself glassing some long distances. I've never really tried using my binos on the tripod, but I ended up messing around with holding my Swaros down tight on my tripod head for looking at the far slopes. I can definitely see how a good set of 15's would be excellent on a tripod. But do any of you find yourselves successfully spotting game way out there with 'podded up 10's? It seems like it would be way more comfortable for long glassing sessions than staring through a spotting scope with one eye closed the whole time. Of course the spotter would stay with me for further evaluation once a critter was spotted.

Also, are the Vortex tripod adapters any good? I don't feel like spending the $120 for a Swaro adapter. Seems like $20 for the Vortex adapter and $8 for an extra Promaster quick release plate could add another dimension to my glassing. Thoughts?

Thanks!

SDHNTR

WKR
I have for years and it is the only way to go for long sessions. Get a Jim White adaptor for easy on\off.

Big time game changer, hard to go back to holding binos now for serious glassing sessions.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would agree on using tripod for really picking apart at long distance or in wind. But under a thousand yards I like holding them for scanning and checking on location of game I have spotted and continue to check on. I generally just place my binos on top of my spotter to utilize the stability. I can't afford the cost or weight of two tripods and I like my spotter up and in the game when glassing. Lots of different ways to get it done though.

OP
BigSurArcher

BigSurArcher

Banned
Dang thanks for the all the replies already guys. That Jim White deal is hard to find. But it looks just the same as the Vortex uni-daptor. So those don't jab you in the sternum when left on the binos?

Brent1321

Lil-Rokslider
I am currently considering just that, 10x42 on tripod. Will likely go with monopod, my second trekking pole with the Vortex setup. I have Vortex 15x56 HD's, but am considering leaving them behind to cut pretty major weight. It is a tough call, and am wondering if I will regret leaving them behind. I think 10x42 would get it done, but why then did I buy the 15x56's??? I don't own a spotter, looking for a cow or bull, not after a trophy whatsoever. As to the Vortex stud mounted to your glasses, does not poke me in the chest at all while carried mounted to 42's, might with smaller objective size. Look forward to more on this post. Will 10's on a tripod/monopod find just as much game as 15's, with no regard for antler size?

Brent

I frequently collapse one of my trekking poles down to a comfortable level and balance the bins on top. Seems to work well for me with 10x42s.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
If not trophy hunting, meaning looking for a particular size or specific animal, I would think you could hunt without a spotter. I use a spotter for judging size of animal at distance. If I don't need to do that, like elk hunting for me, spotter stays home.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I have been using a Jim White on my 10x binos (or 10-15 Duovids) and my Diascope for at least a decade. It is a quick switch when you want to take a closer look with the spotter. Silk Sprint Mini is small enough for a sheep hunt and does a good job everywhere. I have upgraded binocs a couple time since this old pic, but the tripod and Jim White are still the best bang for the buck imo.

Kiabab2004011.jpg

For all day glassing, i'm a big fan of my 10x SLC's on a tripod. Spot something worth taking a closer look, throw the spotter on it and go from there.

d8511321.jpg

SDHNTR

WKR
Dang thanks for the all the replies already guys. That Jim White deal is hard to find. But it looks just the same as the Vortex uni-daptor. So those don't jab you in the sternum when left on the binos?

I'm not familiar with the Vortex version, but it sound similar. No it does not jab me in the chest as it is recessed in between the barrels of the glass. Check the store at www.coueswhitetail.com