110 Nosler Accubonds

KyleW_VI

FNG
I shot my sheep this year with a 140gr Nosler Ballistic Tip out of a .270.

Curious what everyones thoughts are on going to a smaller bullet.
At 400-700yards is a 110 grain bullet gonna be enough? What do you guys shoot? Curious...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Why do you want to switch? 270/140 is perfect for sheep IMO. I’ve shot everything from antelope thru Yukon mousse with them including my Stone. No complaints.

OP
K

KyleW_VI

FNG
Why do you want to switch? 270/140 is perfect for sheep IMO. I’ve shot everything from antelope thru Yukon mousse with them including my Stone. No complaints.

Sorry I mean 130gr BT.
The 110 Accubond holds its FPS better.
I found most of my sheep interactions were 4-500yds, so a lighter bullet going faster should expand better.
I havn’t shot much with the Accubonds though.
Other than my sheep, everything I’ve shot with the BT’s has been sub 100yards, so hard to get a good read on them haha
Though nosler does make a 115gr BT...

BAKPAKR

WKR
The ballistic coefficient of the 110 gr Accubond is relatively poor so I think you would be much better off with a 130 gr or heavier bullet at the longer ranges. If rapid expansion is what you are seeking, Nosler Ballistic Tips, in most of the calibers and weights I have tried, open pretty rapidly.

OP
K

KyleW_VI

FNG
The ballistic coefficient of the 110 gr Accubond is relatively poor so I think you would be much better off with a 130 gr or heavier bullet at the longer ranges. If rapid expansion is what you are seeking, Nosler Ballistic Tips, in most of the calibers and weights I have tried, open pretty rapidly.

Ah okay good to hear.
I’ve shot a pile of stuff with the Ballistic tips in the past couple years but its all been at super close ranges so hard to judge the quality.
The 130gr are tack drivers out of my gun so I’ll stick with them.

Mt Al

WKR
130 to 140 grain is academic, 99.99% going to have the same impact on game if their hit in the right place. I'd stick with what shoots right and spend the time practicing, my opinion only.

recurveman

Lil-Rokslider
I always try to stay with the heavier bullets. They will maintain better down range velocity and energy. The lighter the bullet the less energy they will have at impact. The difference gets really dramatic past 400-500 yards. Go do a drop chart on the different bullets with your bullet at the published speed and you will see the difference.

OP
K

KyleW_VI

FNG
Great plan to stay with 130 or 140. All my 270s have always shot 140s together at 200 yards...BTiips/Accubonds/and even Swift A Frames.

Same hunt in the Yukon-Btip at long range for the sheep and moose with the A Frame

View attachment 211353

View attachment 211354

I just reloaded 65 shells to do some practicing, so I figured it would be a good time to experiment, I had been looking at the A Frames and Scirrocos, so ood to here atleast the A frames are quality. I might still piss around with the 110’s since I need new brass anyway.
On a side note, I’ve found the Grand Slams (think speer makes them) shoot really well and kill stuff dead quick haha

Old and gray

Lil-Rokslider
I get 3400 FPS with the Hornady 110 gr hollowpoint. Used to be my favourite jack rabbit load.