1100 dollar western rifle

Vandy321

WKR
Following as I'm searching for the same. Here's where I'm at so far after numerous posts and weeks of reading. At some point you have to decide between an ultralight which means short action OR a more "all-around" 30 cal mag chambering is more important. Kimber montana, savage 110 UL, Tikka T3x SL, and Browning Hells Canyon Speed, although the Tikka and Browning aren't considered "ultralight", especially not in 300wm or wsm.

Its tough to go 300wsm or 300wm and pay the weight penalty when 280ai or 270wsm will both do the trick on elk out to 700 yards with factory ELDX and maintain >1500 ft/lbs from a 24" bbl at impact...they both maintain >1000 ft/lbs at 1k yards.

My gameplan is to holdout for a used 280ai montana. Tikka sounds great, but to get it under 6lbs bare requires new bolt handle, new stock and a bedding job, making it a >$1600 rifle at least. I dont reload, so really should be looking at 7RM or 300wsm, but the extra 1lb is a deal breaker for me.

On that note...why is the montana so highly regarded, but the mountain ascent is crapped on? 1lb less makes it that much more difficult to shoot accurately?

wyo2track

Lil-Rokslider
All good suggestions above. You should also take a look at the Weatherby Vanguard Backcountry, High Country, First Lite, and Weatherguard rifles as you can get them in .300 Win Mag. They're made in Japan just like the Browning's are, but the models with muzzle brakes don't have the bastard metric threads like the Browning Speeds do if you'd like to change that radial brake out for a side port discharge. I handled the Meateater model at the store last weekend, was surprised by the nice trigger and the lightweight feel and overall finish of the rifle, though I'm not a spiral barrel kind of guy. I liked the feel of the stock over the Tikka.

For $1100 or a shade more you just might be able to get yourself into a Christensen Arms Mesa too...though I think they limit the barrel length to 24" in the magnum versions if that doesn't bother you being 40-50 fps slower...really nothing you can't do with a 24" barreled 300 win mag and would be handier than a 26" if bears are roaming the back of your mind.

z987k

WKR
Tikka with an upgraded stock is a no brainer in that price range IMO. Then it’s just a matter of cartridge.

For a round, they literally all work fine, you just have to evaluate the trade offs that they all have. TANSTAAFL

I lean towards the heaviest/highest BC bullet you can run in a caliber.

In magnums, I prefer 7mm to 300 in factory guns because factory 300s rarely have enough twist to run the real heavy bullets that would make it outperform the 7mm IMO. The 7 also recoils less. For example, 300mag tikkas are twisted to slow.

In non magnums I think .308 does what 30-06 does but more efficiently. However, I feel 6.5 creed and 7-08 outshoot (significantly better in wind) 308 with no real step down in on target damage due to their ability to push higher BC bullets.

I’ve killed deer with 7mm, 30-30, 30-06, .270, .308 and 6.5 creed.... all worked about the same and 6.5 shoots best of them IMO.

I’ve killed elk with .308 and 6.5 creed and couldn’t tell any real difference.

Anything pushing a .250 to .308 bullet at a reasonable speed will kill elk and deer, don’t over think it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed. If Tikka could get their crap together and properly twist their 30 cals, then one of them would be worth owning. But I never suggest a tikka in 300wsm/wm. It's not 1955 anymore.

Marble

WKR
Ok so looks like if I were to ever do a grizzly hunt I would just have to get a separate rifle. The expensive of the trip like someone else said would make the price of another rifle no problem.

so I can get a round that would be good for moose down to mule deer.

the flattest shooting round for those animals would still be a 300 win mag? But would a 300 destroy a mule deer
No.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
Ugh I am so indecisive. I am set on rifle just stuck on round. 6.5 creed, 7mm rem mag, 300 wm
I have both the 7 and the 300. Almost identical rifles. I shoot the 300 because I like it more, its slightly more accurate and it shoots a heavier bullet almost the same speed as the other rifle. Im reffering to these two specific rifles. Not in general.

Both cartridges are very adequate and deadly in my experience well beyond thw range 95% of the hunters are able to shoot.

I think if you were to poll all the "western" hunters here, those two cartridges would probably be in the top few most popular.

I have 6.5 in the safe, but its never had a scope mounted on it. Someday. You won't make a bad choice among the three you've narrowed it down to.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

mvrk28

WKR
Another vote for the Savage 110 Ultralite w/ Proof Barrel. 300 WSM will killl anything in North America.

manitou1

WKR
I carry one of two Brownjng X-bolts, standard... not HC or anything. Both are sub 1/2" shooters. Both have taken game past 600 yds and quite a few past 500 yds. Both weigh about 8 lbs scoped.

Nomadx2

Lil-Rokslider
Consider a Ruger Guide Gun 300WIN. A 20" barrel that comes with multiple muzzle options including a brake. It is very well built and designed for rugged back country hunting. If you are only doing open range hunting, then a 24" barrel is fine. But in any brush country hunting for bear, whitetail, etc. longer barrels will get hung up.

With the muzzle brake, I have no problem with the recoil putting 20-30 rounds through on the bench. Have only shot out to 300 yards but very pleased with accuracy & grouping.

A 30-06 is also a good all around choice for NA game.

Not sure if you have a budget for a scope, but consider at least $450-$500 for quality optics.

Flyjunky

WKR
Go with the 300wm and be done with it. From my experience, it's one of, if not, the most popular long range caliber used in the West.

Bullet choice and shot placement, like has been said, is the key factor...there isn't such a thing as "overkill" in big game hunting. You will "destroy" a mule deer if you hit it in the wrong spot whether you're using a 6.5 or 300.

Since you're posting this on the long range forum I'd suggest 300wm with a heavy for caliber bullet. Personally, I don't find the 300 to have bad recoil at all. A muzzle break (most decent rifles come with one) and a good recoil pad work wonders.

OP
F
I think I am more on the 300 win mag now just went and shouldered them both. The 300 only comes in a 26 inch barrel though. Not shorter

wildcat33

WKR
There's 30-06 Montana in the classifieds. That will do everything you need and a fair price to boot.

OP
F
i wrote in the other thread sorry i opened a few. my bad.

i went and shouldered both the 300 win mag and the 6.5 creedmoor. my lgs talked me into the 300wm with the 26 inch barrel. it felt light and didnt seem overly long. They basically said shot placement has everything to do with wrecking meat on the smaller game. Muleys and lets say antelope. A bad shot is a bad shot regardless. They also said there isn't any second guessing with the 300 as its powerful enough for anything in north america. That the 300wm is the most popular caliber out west.

i think i will sleep on it tonight and go and purchase tomorrow or friday.

Flyjunky

WKR
i wrote in the other thread sorry i opened a few. my bad.

i went and shouldered both the 300 win mag and the 6.5 creedmoor. my lgs talked me into the 300wm with the 26 inch barrel. it felt light and didnt seem overly long. They basically said shot placement has everything to do with wrecking meat on the smaller game. Muleys and lets say antelope. A bad shot is a bad shot regardless. They also said there isn't any second guessing with the 300 as its powerful enough for anything in north america. That the 300wm is the most popular caliber out west.

i think i will sleep on it tonight and go and purchase tomorrow or friday.
They told you exactly what's been posted here by several people. Get a good scope, base, and rings....don't cheap out on those. Buy once, cry once. Take care of everything and it will last a long, long time.

Make sure to start looking for ammo and when you do find some BUY IT! Accubond, Berger, Eldx, Barnes, Hammer, Cutting Edge, are just a few bullets that shoot well in the 300. Base your ammo choice on the distances you feel like you're comfortable taking game at. What works good at 300 might, and usually isn't, the best choice for shots at 600+.

hunting1

WKR
For what it is worth I own 308's, 30-06's, and 300 WM's. I have sold off the 7mm08, 7MM, 300WSM and 338WM. I have killed everything bang flop from coyote, antelope, deer, black bear, and elk with a 168gr NBT around 2800 fps out of my 308. Being my Kimber Montana is so nice to carry I seldom even pull the others out any more and unless you plan to have long range shots everything else is over kill.

As to your concern of damage, as mentioned the bullet used and where you hit matters more than caliber. I have killed antelope with 7-08, 308, 30-06, and 300 WM. the 308 was a 125 BT at 3100 fps and it made the biggest mess.

Good luck and a 2-rifle system is not a bad idea. the 6.5 and 300 is a good pair.

OP
F
Thank you.. yes within the next 6 months I will purchase a tikka t3x with 24 inch barrel in the 6.5 creedmoor. This rifle is a little more affordable then the hells canyon I am purchasing tomorrow in the 300wm

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
For what it is worth I own 308's, 30-06's, and 300 WM's. I have sold off the 7mm08, 7MM, 300WSM and 338WM. I have killed everything bang flop from coyote, antelope, deer, black bear, and elk with a 168gr NBT around 2800 fps out of my 308. Being my Kimber Montana is so nice to carry I seldom even pull the others out any more and unless you plan to have long range shots everything else is over kill.

As to your concern of damage, as mentioned the bullet used and where you hit matters more than caliber. I have killed antelope with 7-08, 308, 30-06, and 300 WM. the 308 was a 125 BT at 3100 fps and it made the biggest mess.

Good luck and a 2-rifle system is not a bad idea. the 6.5 and 300 is a good pair.
What brand bullet was the 125 BT?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I'm looking pretty hard at the Bergara Wilderness Terrain. It's in your price range, and I'm a fan of my bare bones B14.