1100 dollar western rifle

Seeknelk

WKR
Agreed. If Tikka could get their crap together and properly twist their 30 cals, then one of them would be worth owning. But I never suggest a tikka in 300wsm/wm. It's not 1955 anymore.
The magazine is too short for 215-230 berger and longer bullets in the tikka 300 win mag anyway. And the design of the action and trigger location makes it nearly impossible to change that unless someone came up with a solution I haven't heard about. But the 300 and 7 wsm are perfect in the tikkas. 11 twist 300 will shoot 200 grain class Berger's ,accubonds, and eldx just fine.

Seeknelk

WKR
A rifle in 300 wm will work for everything. No such thing as overkill really. 215 berger works wonderfully for me . Put a high end, bulletproof scope on it. And shoot the snot out of it. Beware the man with one rifle....he likely knows how to use it. But I like lots of rifles also👍. 6.5 and 300 are a fine combo.

z987k

WKR
The magazine is too short for 215-230 berger and longer bullets in the tikka 300 win mag anyway. And the design of the action and trigger location makes it nearly impossible to change that unless someone came up with a solution I haven't heard about. But the 300 and 7 wsm are perfect in the tikkas. 11 twist 300 will shoot 200 grain class Berger's ,accubonds, and eldx just fine.
11 twist is a bit slow at sea level and certainly if it's cold out.
To me a magnum is about distance, and a marginally stable bullet is not what I'd chose in a rifle for long range.
Other companies twist their barrels approriately for the cartirdge, so why would one not chose the better barrel, and all around better gun if were talking 300wm.

Longbow53

FNG
My 284 Mtn. Rifle has done its job for 30 years with Barnes 140 gr. All pass thru's. No Muzzle stupid break because it doesnt need it. But it is a 300 yd gun. I have filled my tag afew times having to put down an animal shot to shit.I shoot once,not three times.I let a buck by this year cause I wont do the gotta shoot shot! Buy a gun you can shoot ,and learn to shoot it.Know your limit on your shots. I like to practice shooting my 284 offhand at a one foot square steel plate at 200 yds.I hit it more than I miss. I do it for practice and to know my gun. Since I shoot Bench Rest also for the last 30 years I need to know that trigger over my 2 oz BR triggers. I see to many guys at the Range shooting there 300 wizz bangs and cant shoot worth S .. t. One more trick ,while your gun barrel is cooling at the range just sit or stand there and Dry Fire off the last spent round. 20 shots dry fire goes A long ways on seeing what your doing and learning to call your shots...see ya.Pete

OP
F
Well I hope I made the right decision. Browning x bolt speed in 300wm.

the barrel does seem alittle long but nothing I won’t get use to.

now for some glass

89B5BB3A-5435-4E0E-92A2-DEE36C29AB07.jpeg

MThuntr

WKR
Well I hope I made the right decision. Browning x bolt speed in 300wm.

the barrel does seem alittle long but nothing I won’t get use to.

now for some glass

View attachment 238732

Good call I don't think barrel length will affect anything while hunting. Sure you might have to hold the rifle vs having it slung on your shoulder when ducking through timber but that's negligible.

Lately I'm becoming a fan of scopes with an exposed elevation turret (zero stop and/or locking) with capped windage. Zeiss Z4 or Leupold VX3i ZL (or better), Bushnell Elite with locking turrets but they're a bit heavy. The new Vortex Lightweight Razor looks nice too if you can find it in stock. I know there are more out there but I haven't really gotten too far into the search.

OP
F
I am not going to go to crazy on the scope yet. Might just do a vortex viper hst 4-16x44 for now.

Bru2

FNG
I have 1100 to spend on a rifle that will be used out west. Elk, moose, mule deer etc. I plan on buying a 300 win mag.

what rifle for that price point would you say is best?

thanks
The browning x bolt in a 28 nosler would be a decent option and it’s right at your price point. You should be able to hunt all of those species with the 28 nosler. I have a browning x bolt and it’s by far one of the best gun purchases I’ve made.

wyosam

WKR
I’d find a tikka on sale, then add the leftovers to the optic fund.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
F
I’d find a tikka on sale, then add the leftovers to the optic fund.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you I already got a x bolt hells canyon.

though I will be in the market for a tikka superlight 6.5cm in about 6 months

Mrvrsick

FNG
Nice! I've heard that the spring is probably the best upgrade you can make to an x-bolt.

That’s what I got. Haven’t shot it yet but love it so far
POI does not change with or without the brake on mine. I shoot 165 grain Barnes Vor-Tx TTSX and am sub 1” at 100. They are running 3,160 FPS. I would highly recommend the M Carbo spring. It’s about $15 and I have put it in mine and two of my friends HCS’s. You Tube shows exactly how and all three break like glass at 2.75 lbs.

OP
F
POI does not change with or without the brake on mine. I shoot 165 grain Barnes Vor-Tx TTSX and am sub 1” at 100. They are running 3,160 FPS. I would highly recommend the M Carbo spring. It’s about $15 and I have put it in mine and two of my friends HCS’s. You Tube shows exactly how and all three break like glass at 2.75 lbs.
Yep already got it in the mail.. thanks