1100 dollar western rifle

I have a Browning X Bolt Max Long Range in 300 Win Mag. Picked it up for $1200. It is a tack driver, adjustable length of pull and cheek plate. It has a muzzle break which significantly reduces the felt recoil. With a scope it weighs 10.5 lbs. super stable. Shot my elk at 505 yards. I own a Tikka (308), Remington 700 (30 06), Winchester Model 70 (243) and a Browning X Bolt Hells Canyon Speed (30 06). I prefer the Browning's!

OP
F
looks like the barrel on the hells canyon in a 300 wm is 26 inches. Would this be cumbersome? to long?

OP
F
I have a Browning X Bolt Max Long Range in 300 Win Mag. Picked it up for $1200. It is a tack driver, adjustable length of pull and cheek plate. It has a muzzle break which significantly reduces the felt recoil. With a scope it weighs 10.5 lbs. super stable. Shot my elk at 505 yards. I own a Tikka (308), Remington 700 (30 06), Winchester Model 70 (243) and a Browning X Bolt Hells Canyon Speed (30 06). I prefer the Browning's!

its 6.8 pounds without scope right? thats a heavy scope

Hells Canyon Speed. Already bedded with muzzle brake. Order a M Carbo trigger spring and you are good to go. I have one and it is the bomb. But, if you didn’t have to have the brake, I love my Tikka T3 SL.

OP
F
Hells Canyon Speed. Already bedded with muzzle brake. Order a M Carbo trigger spring and you are good to go. I have one and it is the bomb. But, if you didn’t have to have the brake, I love my Tikka T3 SL.
What caliber you shooting? 26 inch barrel ?

Anello

Lil-Rokslider
I've owned several magnum rifles/cartridges and I really hated shooting the .300 Win Mag I had. It was a great rifle, but the recoil was so sharp I just quit shooting it ... and I hated having a 26" barrel. I am not recoil sensitive, either. The bite just really sucked. Also, having shot a ton of pigs, deer, etc. with rifles, I quickly realized the cartridge was entirely unnecessary for my purposes. I shoot a 35 Whelen, a .280 Rem, and a 6.5 x 55 Swede now, and I can't imagine ever needing anything else. If I were to get another .30 caliber it would definitely be a 30-06 and not any of the magnums, due to my experience. Just my thoughts, but I would suggest considering a cartridge that you can really enjoy shooting accurately, and without a brake.

Having said that, the most accurate out of the box rifle I have ever owned was a Weatherby Vanguard Wilderness in .257 Wby Mag. So, I would recommend the Weatherby Vanguard, or, alternatively, a Tikka T3 model in your chosen caliber, for your stated purposes. I'm one of the lucky ones who bought a Remington Mountain Rifle that shoots straight, so that is another option if you are not averse to a push feed. Watch the classified section on this site, too. There are some great rifles that come available from time to time that you won't have to break in.

If your worried about barrel length go to 300 wsm. Very similar performance to 300 win mag but will get a 23 in barrel in the HC speed. That's what mines in and it's a great rifle

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
F
300wsm is enough for grizzly? Looking for the all around round.

seems the 6.5 is very popular but doesn’t pack the punch for the bigger game..

Marble

WKR
For the Op, narrow it down to a few guns and go to the store, pick them up, shoulder them, feel the action and let your experience guide you. There is not a damn thing wrong with most of the guns mentioned.

Seems like the top of the list was:

Browning Hells Canyon
Tikka
Bergara
A winchester mentioned above.

Any of those rifles are light years beyond most guns from years ago.

Keep in mind, you will have somewhere between $400 -800 for rings, bases and a good scope.

The gun needs to be comfortable, feel good in YOUR hands, and fit your shoulder as you feel it should.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
F
Would the 300 win mag be over kill for mule deer?

would be perfect for elk and moose right? Even brown bear if the day ever came

The Max Long range weighs 8 lb 7 oz, 26" barrel, no scope. I carried it up and down the mountains this year, no issue. I am 6'3" and 280 lb so take that into consideration.

For me it is a very stable platform for shooting at 500 yards (my max limit). The Speed is a couple of lbs lighter but still a 26" barrel. I'm thinking of picking a Speed up in 300 Win Mag just because! I like my Speed 30 06 and use it for whitetails in TN. The recoil on the 300 Win doesn't bother me at all with the weight and muzzle break.

You really need to find a store with a good selection and see what fits you, everyone is different!!!!

not what I feel. Just from what I’ve been reading
I'll say this, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot one with my 300 wsm or any 300 win mag. But if I was going exclusively for brown bear and I owned a 338 win mag or 375 h&h I would take one of those guns. If you want one gun to do everything I would get a 300 win mag if your priorities are ammo availability, I would get (and did get) a 300 wsm if your priorities are lightest weight and shorter barrel

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a Weatherby Mark V DGR in 300 wby mag. It doesn't have a brake on it just a decelerator recoil pad. It has less felt recoil than the Sako 30.06 I had.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk