1176 yard bull

cobrad

FNG
3F4BB365-9004-4B50-9E07-AB9BFFB82175.jpeg
Started watching an exceptional 6 point during the rut, and I picked up another big 6 a couple weeks before season. After 4 days of hunting and not finding the big boys this 5 point came out of the timber across the canyon. I ordered a rifle last fall for hunting this canyon and when I ranged him at 1176 this was just the reason. One shot and a 50 yard dash he was down and out. Rifle was built by West Elk Precision in Grand Junction Colorado. Defiance Deviant Hunter XM action, Bartlien 3b 25” fluted barrel, Manners EH1, Trigger Tech, APA brake, Farrell rings, NF 5-25 ATACR. 300 WSM shooting 215 grain Berger hybrids at 2817 FPS. Final targets fired to confirm ballistic inputs just before the hunt were two 3-shot groups just under half MOA at 1317 yards.

TX_Diver

WKR
Dang. That's a better story than the barbary sheep hunt that was posted in here a few weeks back.

What were conditions, etc. like?

Congrats.

mt100gr.

WKR
What additional field equipment do you use? Specifically for a forward rest? (I see no bipod!!!)

Great shooting and congrats!!

OP
C

cobrad

FNG
I set up for this shot with a bipod and rear bag, Kestrel 5700 Elite Ab on a wind vane, Leica 3500.com, binos on a tripod, spotting scope at hand, ammo box next to the rifle. I set up the same way for marmots and prairie dogs. The Leica is hit or miss, mostly miss, communicating with the kestrel. On this shot it wouldn’t connect so I entered the range manually. The Leica is a really good rangefinder but mine is pure frustration trying to use it connected with the kestrel. It’ll probably be replaced as soon as I find another unit capable of ranging as well as it does, that’ll also work with the kestrel.