12 weeks aint enough??

Deadfall

WKR
Montana apparently thinks it a good idea to add a muzzleloader season to the end of our big game season. With restrictions. I have ben trying to logically sort this out since it was passed in last legislature I can not find any benefit on any level. This is nuts! For everyone with tags left that could not get it done during a 6 week archery or 6 week rifle season, you can now use a old school type muzzleloader with lead bullet to go hunt big game for a couple weeks in December.

I am all for muzzleloader hunting, I own one. Grew up hunting with it. I enjoy shooting it. Even go hunt with it once in awhile, when I want a challenge. With traditional gear using a percussion cap and conical bullet, 50 yards is about top end. Especially for elk.

All the animals are coming into winter and need to be left alone. They are now on winter ranges, winter is hard enough on our herds, not they going to be blown out of there. These are the ones that have survived 12 weeks of "hunters" and still have to survive predators. In the sporting goods stores a large number of folks are inquiring about traditional muzzleloaders.

No way this plays out to the good. Shooting a traditional is not same as shooting a rifle. There are going to be far more wounded animals.

Only 2 options are sit and wait or spot and stalk. In this day and age of run and gun who is going to sit? For those with tags left are they going to be able to stalk within 50 yards of elk/deer after 12 weeks of pressure? when they couldn't effectively do it with calls to assist?

If these maniacs are so into muzzleloader why not use it during the rifle season?

This has everything to do with lazy. When do the animals get a break?

This will not be any different then the jerks who show up last of august in a archery shop to get their bow's squared away. Or show up to hunting camp with a brand new rifle that's only been bore sighted. This nonsense happens ALOT... Now our great government just added more ridiculousness to the fray.

bsnedeker

WKR
If these maniacs are so into muzzleloader why not use it during the rifle season?
This is the main thing right here. There was nothing stopping them from hunting with a ML during the 5 weeks of rifle season if they are so passionate about these things! It was, and remains, perfectly legal.

WCB

WKR
UHHH...You do know there are Shoulder Season into mid February right? I agree the added muzzle loader season is not needed but the problems predate by a few years the last legislature.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
UHHH...You do know there are Shoulder Season into mid February right? I agree the added muzzle loader season is not needed but the problems predate by a few years the last legislature.
Shoulder seasons are their own problem, but in limited HDs and supposed to be limited to primarily private land, quite a bit different from extended season for all general license holders in all general units on public land. Also, FWP extended elk B licenses in several units that just cycled off the shoulder seasons to Jan 15 because of "low harvests". A lot of big brain power going on there....

OP
Deadfall

Deadfall

WKR
Oh yes, I am aware. Have already blown my gaskets about that long ago. Just keeps going downhill.