120 gr Hammer Hunter 7mm-08

Pasayten

FNG
Anyone out there have any experience with this bullet out of a 7mm-08? I'm looking for terminal performance on whitetail and mulie sized game. I've really enjoyed reloading with Hammers for 280 Rem and 7mm Rem Mag. Shot the my bull with the mag and the 143 Hammer hunter this year but with 4 shots in the 80-100 yrd range.

I had great luck with them. Easiest load workup I ever had. 3k fps and stellar accuracy. Dropped both the deer (whitetail spikes) I shot where they stood. Both were just over 200 yards.

waitforit

Lil-Rokslider
Im using the 131s with varget, 3015 fps from my 22 inch barrel Kimber. Great accuracy too.

OP
Pasayten

Pasayten

FNG
Sweet! Thanks for the replies folks. Just got the wifes new fierce fury 20" barrel in today. As soon as I get some rings bought and mounted ill get started working up a load (also need to finish cutting up elk meat).

Bad habit

FNG
Anyone out there have any experience with this bullet out of a 7mm-08? I'm looking for terminal performance on whitetail and mulie sized game. I've really enjoyed reloading with Hammers for 280 Rem and 7mm Rem Mag. Shot the my bull with the mag and the 143 Hammer hunter this year but with 4 shots in the 80-100 yrd range.
131 grain with varget is one fine combination

I have loads for 120 and 140 Barnes TTSX, but running low. Very interested in the 130 Absolute hammer and 131 Hammer. I think the 130 class of bullets would be perfect in the 7mm08

bmart2622

WKR
I have loads for 120 and 140 Barnes TTSX, but running low. Very interested in the 130 Absolute hammer and 131 Hammer. I think the 130 class of bullets would be perfect in the 7mm08
How have your loads for both bullets performed? I have both 120 and 140 to try in my wifes 7mm08

They both have maintained sub MOA. Usually run in the 5/8ths to 3/4 in range for 3 shot groups at 100 yds.

I've killed a lot of deer with both Barnes 120 and 140 grain ( 100+ ) and have never had any problem with them doing their job as long as I did mine. If I had to choose 1 I would go with the 140 grain.

Britt-dog

Lil-Rokslider
I am curious about the hammers performance on your bull. Were all shots on target? how did the bullets perform? did you catch any of them? Ect

I’ve shot a bunch of stuff with Barnes, but want to start using hammers, so I’m reading up on everything I can.

waitforit

Lil-Rokslider
I shot an antelope at 265yd broadside in October - was a passthrough, massive damage to chest cavity. Surprised to see it run 40-50 yards but it was clearly dead before it knew it..

Update from my elk hunt last week - shot a cow in the neck, facing me directly at 70 yards in its bed. It never got to its feet, it immediately slumped over. I didnt closely investigate the damage track but saw that it entered in the 'open space' into the chest cavity and passed between heart and lungs, rupturing the aorta. It ended somewhere in the guts, I didn't explore further :) Best part - no meat damage whatsoever!

These shoot really well for me (0.5 MOA) and perform well on game. I'm a fan!

bmart2622

WKR
I shot an antelope at 265yd broadside in October - was a passthrough, massive damage to chest cavity. Surprised to see it run 40-50 yards but it was clearly dead before it knew it..

Update from my elk hunt last week - shot a cow in the neck, facing me directly at 70 yards in its bed. It never got to its feet, it immediately slumped over. I didnt closely investigate the damage track but saw that it entered in the 'open space' into the chest cavity and passed between heart and lungs, rupturing the aorta. It ended somewhere in the guts, I didn't explore further :) Best part - no meat damage whatsoever!

These shoot really well for me (0.5 MOA) and perform well on game. I'm a fan!
Did you crimp them?