124 Hammer Hunter Loading Success

Tullis94

WKR
Just wanted to jump on here and share my successful loading with 6.5, 124 hammer hunters. I recently have done load development for 2 tikka 6.5 creedmoore rifles. The first rifle is shooting 2980 fps with RL 16 and shot a 2.5 group at 607 yards after 16 rounds of load development.
The second rifle is shooting H4350 at 3080 fps. It shot a 1.25" group at 392 yards after 5 rounds of pressure testing and a 3 shot group. I know it is only 2 shots which is not a great test but I only loaded 5 to test grouping. The 3 shot group was so good I decided to shoot the gong with the last 2.
Both rifles will be hunting deer and elk this fall with youth tags. I am excited to see the results of the bullet.

Attachments

• 0704210847.jpg
    0704210847.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 0915211739.jpg
    0915211739.jpg
    376 KB · Views: 23
That's impressive numbers I need to load those in my creedmoor only have 4350 can't fi d the 16

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Chanimal

FNG
Nice work! Should be plenty for intended uses. How did the load development process go for you?

That is an impressive way to start. I will be looking forward to hearing from you after tags are notched and you can share some thoughts on terminal performance. Good luck on your hunts...

Wetwork

Lil-Rokslider
Funny I spent the whole day today doing the exact same thing for my GF's Creed with the 124 HH's. I had Varget on hand so went with that, Nice seeing the H4350 cranking out pretty much the same fps as I got. Did you crimp? I was surprised how much I could change the accuracy with deep seating and crimping with the Lee FCD. I used a lot more ammo tho...I did up a dope sheet for the GF, walking a cardboard box out every fifty yards..clear out to 600. Gonna be interesting to see what the do.-WW

OP
Tullis94

Tullis94

WKR
Nice work! Should be plenty for intended uses. How did the load development process go for you?
Steve from Hammer bullets recommends finding pressure and then backing off a little for a starting point. I believe he generally recommends backing off 1 grain. All the shooting I did was between 85 and 90 degrees. For this reason I backed of only .5 grains since the hotter temps will show pressure earlier. Both times the load worked out. It could be luck, but I also think a lot of credit goes to the bullet being easy to work with.

OP
Tullis94

Tullis94

WKR
Funny I spent the whole day today doing the exact same thing for my GF's Creed with the 124 HH's. I had Varget on hand so went with that, Nice seeing the H4350 cranking out pretty much the same fps as I got. Did you crimp? I was surprised how much I could change the accuracy with deep seating and crimping with the Lee FCD. I used a lot more ammo tho...I did up a dope sheet for the GF, walking a cardboard box out every fifty yards..clear out to 600. Gonna be interesting to see what the do.-WW
I do not crimp. All the bullets were loaded to a COAL of 2.90. I never adjusted seating depth either. This was way to easy!

Wetwork

Lil-Rokslider
I do not crimp. All the bullets were loaded to a COAL of 2.90. I never adjusted seating depth either. This was way to easy!
Lucky you, the GF's is a Christensen Mesa and it hates pretty everything, it was last ditch effort with the Hammers and lots an lots of tweeking. I made her buy the big box HH's he-he. Now I"m ordering my own box.-Was a Barnes guy til today.-WW

waitforit

Lil-Rokslider
I have Varget and H4350 and I've had great luck with both on various loads for 6.5 and other calibers. Seems like I can expect similar results for each based on these comments.