125 fixed blade broadhead setup and experience

BFazz

FNG
If you can, I would swap those 340s for 400s. 340s are likely really stiff for your setup.

I've had great performance with 125gr G5 Strikers and Blazers on the back end of axis arrows.
Not necessarily...

His length/weight puts him right on the edge of 340/400 according to easton’s chart. Better to be a little over-spined (stiffer) vs under-spined, especially when shooting fixed blades. It’s a lot harder to get a softer spined arrow to tune with fixed heads, I think that’s a big reason why people have traditionally had issues getting their broadheads and field points to group together (assuming bow is tuned).

That said, I usually use the arrow charts as a starting point. If you can, get a 400 and a 340 and shoot both through paper bareshaft and go from there. If that’s not feasible, I’d lean towards the stiffer shaft... especially if you ever decide to add weight via inserts in the future.

Just my 2 cents.

Not necessarily...

His length/weight puts him right on the edge of 340/400 according to easton’s chart. Better to be a little over-spined (stiffer) vs under-spined, especially when shooting fixed blades. It’s a lot harder to get a softer spined arrow to tune with fixed heads, I think that’s a big reason why people have traditionally had issues getting their broadheads and field points to group together (assuming bow is tuned).

That said, I usually use the arrow charts as a starting point. If you can, get a 400 and a 340 and shoot both through paper bareshaft and go from there. If that’s not feasible, I’d lean towards the stiffer shaft... especially if you ever decide to add weight via inserts in the future.

Just my 2 cents.
Welp, looks like the Easton shaft selector indicates 400s, 390s, or DF9.5. Archers Advantage agrees. Because we don't have an actual speed to calibrate from, its likely that the 400 spine arrow build is even stiffer that what is shown below...

I quit building arrows based on "the charts" 20 years ago, but I'm sure the OP will do what works for him.

Attachments

• spine stiff.PNG
    spine stiff.PNG
    60 KB · Views: 8

cburgin72

Lil-Rokslider
I've been shooting 125 grain kudu points the last couple years. They fly great and have generally required very little tuning to get to hit with field points. I love how quiet they are in flight and so far so good they have killed everything I've shot with them.
I will second this. I had very good flight from my kudu point broadheads. Never got to shoot anything with them but was very pleased with how well they flew.

BFazz

FNG
Welp, looks like the Easton shaft selector indicates 400s, 390s, or DF9.5. Archers Advantage agrees. Because we don't have an actual speed to calibrate from, its likely that the 400 spine arrow build is even stiffer that what is shown below...

I quit building arrows based on "the charts" 20 years ago, but I'm sure the OP will do what works for him.
Yes, his parameters put him in the 400/390 category. The adjacent categories (both length & poundage) are 340/330/320. So he is on the upper end of the 400 spectrum/nearly into 340. That’s why I stated “he’s on the edge of 340/400” in my above post.

I agree with you on not relying on the spine charts. They’re just a ballpark starting point. Best way to figure out what works best for you and your setup is by getting out and bareshaft tuning with various weights/spines and move on to broadhead tuning from there.

EBEF6ED3-FEF1-4D8C-8777-82AD97ABD17E.jpeg

Afflictor K2 125gr on GT kinetic pierce platinums. 505gr at 307fps from a Matthew’s vertix 31”, 79 LB draw. 1 bull elk, 220lb whitetail buck, 2 120+LB does and one 150lb 6 pointer before he rolled and buried the head and broke the shaft. All with the same arrow and Broadhead. Longest track job was about 60 yards for all of the above mentioned animals. Tuned easily. Shooting 6-8” groups at 70 yards. All pass throughs except the last deer. Shot quartering heavily and traveled through a rib on one side hitting the heart and coming 2/3 the front left shoulder. Very solid and accurate set up, for me. All of the previously mentioned work great. Tune your bow/arrows is the key. And of course, shot placement.