127gr LRX + Retumbo = 6.5 PRC bliss?

CBRADGO

FNG
New to the PRC and, like every other hobby, I jumped in feet first. Found some Retumbo and Federal LR primers along with some Nosler brass. Picked up some 147 ELDM’s as well as some factory stuff so I’ve got supplies lined up.

Anyone have any data or experiments with the Barnes 127 LRX loaded over a healthy dose of Retumbo? No load data on Barnes’ website, looking for a place to start before going pouring the coals to a zip gun whitetail laser. Thanks!

Forgot to mention: 6.5 PRC Bergara B14 Ridge, 1:8” 24” barrel

Last edited:
That's a popular round; a quick search should provide oodles of information on loading for it. You may get better performance out of another, faster powder, but if thats what you have it's certainly up to the job.

Barnes lists this for the 140 Match burners
Retumbo 53.8 2734
59.8c 3012

I'd start around 55 and work up, if you're searching for the best node. With Retumbo your likely to run out of room long before you hit pressure. I'd use a magnum primer and a crimp on that combo, myself.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Oh, they tend to like a good hop to the lands too, I'd start at .060 off and increase.

OP
C

CBRADGO

FNG
That's a popular round; a quick search should provide oodles of information on loading for it. You may get better performance out of another, faster powder, but if thats what you have it's certainly up to the job.

Barnes lists this for the 140 Match burners
Retumbo 53.8 2734
59.8c 3012

I'd start around 55 and work up, if you're searching for the best node. With Retumbo your likely to run out of room long before you hit pressure. I'd use a magnum primer and a crimp on that combo, myself.

Good luck!

Kind of where I was going to start, just wondering if anyone had specific results for this combo. Why would you go with magnum primers over LR’s? As I understand it, that size charge of Retumbo should ignite plenty fast for the PRC case to get around 3000fps with the LRX

Kind of where I was going to start, just wondering if anyone had specific results for this combo. Why would you go with magnum primers over LR’s? As I understand it, that size charge of Retumbo should ignite plenty fast for the PRC case to get around 3000fps with the LRX
The slower powders have more coating to slow burn rates. The thought is that the hotter primers should ensure consistent ignition, a little more speed/pressure and perhaps cleaner powder burn. Crimping also helps get a cleaner, more consistent and more complete burn. All trying to get the most out of the round.

OP
C

CBRADGO

FNG
May go with mag primers and Retumbo for the ELDM/heavier stuff and LR w/4831 and 120-127gr pills…

I'd definitely recommend a Magnum primer for whatever you end up running. I had several loads going, and Magnum Primers fixed higher than ideal ES in all of them. I ended up going with the 140 AB, and 58gr H1000. I get 2925fps out of a 21" tube, and 1/4" moa. Gotta love a Lilja barrell!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

PNWGATOR

WKR
The 147s you have on hand, 140ELDM or 143ELDX will deliver superior wound channels and offer higher ballistic coefficients.

fatbacks

WKR
I am by no means a super knowledgeable reloader, but I thought Retumbo works well when loading heavy for caliber bullets - perhaps someone could verify?

I run the 127 LRX in my 6.5 PRC over H1000. Works very well and I have killed a pile of critters with that bullet

OP
C

CBRADGO

FNG
I am by no means a super knowledgeable reloader, but I thought Retumbo works well when loading heavy for caliber bullets - perhaps someone could verify?

I run the 127 LRX in my 6.5 PRC over H1000. Works very well and I have killed a pile of critters with that bullet
From what I’ve found, you are correct. I am going to go with LRM primers, Retumbo, and 147 ELDM’s. LR primers, IMR4831 and 127LRX. Also got 2 lbs of MagPro to play around with on some Berger Hybrids

amassi

WKR

Not really it has more to do with relative case capacity so heavy for caliber in standard cases like the 243 win - 270 but works with most bullets once you get magnum capacity.
Retumbo is quite close to h1k in the prc. In my buddy's rifle with the 127lrx we got the following
Nosler blem brass 2.940 coal
H1k- 59.0 gr 3050 fps
Retumbo- 60.5 gr 3090fps much better sd and es so he went with this load.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I just worked up a load using 143ELDX over Retumbo with CCI-200 yielding 2943 average with an SD of 4.1, 12 shot string.. Load density of 96% 50k off lands.
Regardless of the bullet and a load density over 90%, I have been finding long forgiving nodes with Retumbo. Magnum primers are not required.