12x Binoculars: The Perfect Optic For Western Hunting, By Jake Potter

wannabemtnman

Lil-Rokslider
If you are patient you can find Swaro ELs in the classifieds right around that 2k mark, of the three you listed tho I would probably lean toward the Meopta as they seem to get really good reviews although I’ve never used them personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks - I'll keep an eye out and try to get my hands on some Meopta's, I have never looked through a pair either.

Life_Feeds_On_Life

Lil-Rokslider
I do like the 12's for the aspect of just carrying one pair of binos and I wouldn't sell them. That being said, personally I don't care for freehanding them and at least for me here in AZ I do prefer glassing with the 15's. I guess I just like options.

Jpott3

Lil-Rokslider
Nope, I guess I'm the contrarion. 8x is the sweet spot for "handiness". 10x is hard for most to hold steady off hand and 12x doesn't get any better.
If you want a spotter, buy a spotter.

I don’t need a spotter I’ve got 12s and a tripod ;)

tdot

WKR
I totally agree with this article. 12x is a super versatile magnification. I have both 8x and 12x, I cant see myself ever carrying more then one pair, and it is hunt dependent. 15x and 18x have their place, but I wouldn't consider them versatile. If I was to make a change to my system, I would maybe consider switching the 8x for a small set of 6x for sub 200 yard still hunting.

jfs82

WKR
Im using 11x switched from 8x (so I very much agree with the premise of this) and was looking towards 12x but had a really great deal on good 11x and figured it's basically the same.

This was a great article as I’m newer to the western scene and looking to add a spotter or bigger glass to my arsenal. Running a set of Leica 10’s today and would love a set of Swaro’s but need to add a few other items to the toolkit this year. Any recommendations between the Razor UHD, Maven B4, or the MeoStar B1.1, all in 12’s. Looking for best 12’s under $2k. Open to others as well. TIA

Look used-- I snagged my EL 12s used for right at $2k on here

jmagnumw

Lil-Rokslider
Excellent article Jake!! I’ve been using 12x50 for about three years now and I couldn’t agree more

JohnIrish

FNG
Interesting article! I just picked up some Swarovski 12x50 el Binos and a tripod. I have not been glassing much and decided that I needed to change my hunting style. I was using 10x and wanted to upgrade the glass and moved up to 12x at the same time. I will force myself to glass with a tripod! It will be interesting to see if I have improved hunting success.
I love the picture of glassing while holding the hat brim! What a great idea! Thanks!

Jpott3

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting article! I just picked up some Swarovski 12x50 el Binos and a tripod. I have not been glassing much and decided that I needed to change my hunting style. I was using 10x and wanted to upgrade the glass and moved up to 12x at the same time. I will force myself to glass with a tripod! It will be interesting to see if I have improved hunting success.
I love the picture of glassing while holding the hat brim! What a great idea! Thanks!

Glassing off a tripod is a life changing event with any magnification of binocular but especially with these 12x ELs! Good luck this season!

North61

Lil-Rokslider
Anything in 12x50 other than Swaro's that have a decent (18,5 mm or greater) eye relief? I wear glasses and have found it hard to find mid priced roof's with a good eye relief.

Jpott3

Lil-Rokslider
Anything in 12x50 other than Swaro's that have a decent (18,5 mm or greater) eye relief? I wear glasses and have found it hard to find mid priced roof's with a good eye relief.

A quick search of a couple brands showed Mavens B4 12x56 have eye relief of 18mm but I didn’t see anything over that unfortunately

HuntNTag

WKR
I primarily use 12X50 Els for my western hunting. Carry them on my chest and always have a tripod. Last year I picked up some 8X50 Ultravids for hunting in the midwest. I hated glassing with my 12s from a tree stand. The eights are great. They also typically ride in the truck with me for quick access for checking stuff out.

This year I picked up a pair of Maven 18s for hunting AZ. While I really hoped to not like them because I typically prefer the big three. They proved to be an awesome tool. I loved the extra power for long distance as well as looking "through" brush. 15s didn't seem to be enough of an upgrade over my 12s.

If I had to go down to one pari it would be the twelves for sure. The 18s are probably the easiest pair to leave out if I had to but they do fit a niche for me.

I am a big proponent of having the right tool for the job if I can afford it.
I was just contemplating getting those 18’s myself. I usually rock 12’s only when I’m out west and always wanted a little more. Good to see someone else is doing this already!

Rstien321

Lil-Rokslider
Enjoyed the article! I have been running 10x and a spotter, and bought a set of 15x to bring into the mix. Will see how I like the two sets this year, but need to keep this in mind going forward!

Jpott3

Lil-Rokslider
Enjoyed the article! I have been running 10x and a spotter, and bought a set of 15x to bring into the mix. Will see how I like the two sets this year, but need to keep this in mind going forward!

Thanks! You will have to report back after the season and see how it worked for you!

Bluesage

FNG
Great article. I recently joined this site, and am in the process of purchasing new optics and have been debating giving up my 10x42 for some 12's. After this I am definitely leaning towards the 12's. Thank you for some good information.