12x Binoculars: The Perfect Optic For Western Hunting, By Jake Potter

spfarr

FNG
Good, useful review. Thanks. FWIW - I've been using a Snapzoom bino adapter for my tripod, because it doubles as an excellent shooting rest for longer shots in mountainous terrain (e.g., a couple of successful sheep hunts). The bino adapter is wide and easy to re-position the rifle on, even if the adapter platform isn't perfectly level. Available for about $25 on Amazon.

Brent

Lil-Rokslider
I don't disagree at all with what is written, but not just any 12 is versatile enough to work in this concept. Glass quality makes a difference. The Swaro 12s are exceptionally versatile. In almost all other cases 12s are a tweener, they don't do anything remarkably well. They don't have the FOV and low light performance of 10s and they don't have the magnification of 15s.

When I compared my set of non-HD 10x42 ELs to a set of Vortex razor HD 12x50s, I had nearly 10 minutes more low light viewing capability with the Non-HD 10s. This is a prime example of why glass quality matters. Those extra 2x don't do you any good when you can't see what you want to see.

Enjoyed the article. I was debating some 12x50s and this was helpful. Now to find a decent deal on some Swaros or Leica.

I always wonder why the leica duovids don't come up more in these threads. The power of two in one bino, 8-12 or 10-15. Like everything there is compromise but...

TexasCub

WKR
Has anyone compared the Tract 12.5’s vs the Meopta 12’s?

i recently ordered a pair of the Tract 12.5’s, will let you know what I think of them. I’ve never looked through the 12x50 Meostars but I’ve been using Meostar 10x42’s for years. The Tracts get really good reviews just not many people know about them. They are half the price of the Meostars.

I always wonder why the leica duovids don't come up more in these threads. The power of two in one bino, 8-12 or 10-15. Like everything there is compromise but...

Duovids are sweet glass. There are some compromises but I compared them briefly to 12x50els and slightly preferred the duovids. Steadier for hand holding at 10x and more detail for distance glassing at 15x compared to 12x. Everything is a compromise.

Jpott3

Lil-Rokslider
Duovids are sweet glass. There are some compromises but I compared them briefly to 12x50els and slightly preferred the duovids. Steadier for hand holding at 10x and more detail for distance glassing at 15x compared to 12x. Everything is a compromise.

They do look intriguing I’ve never been behind a pair but a great concept for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue72

WKR
I’m going to try a set of 12x binoculars again. I’m looking at the Nikon monarch 5 12x42. Anybody have any other quality recommendations in that price range ($300)

ffcpfef

FNG
I upgraded to 12x50’s after using 10x42’s for many years and haven’t looked back. I worried the 12 power would be a bit much for where I live and hunt in the Midwest but they have served me well, and seem to be the perfect sized binocular for glassing out west when paired with a spotting scope.

Sobie2

FNG
I too have found that my 12x50 require a tripod, and that when glassing long-range in Alaska that detecting movement (which you cannot do freehand) is key to hunting success. When not in a long range glassing situation, I carry 8x binos.

Sobie2

Joby619

FNG
Great write up. I switch to 12x50 Vortex Razors HD last year. I found them on clearance at camp saver for $720 because the UHD came out. I absolutely love the 12x and was able to see details that my Hunting partners were missing with their 10x. I also scored the vortex razor HD 65mm spotter for $700 when the new model came out. I know there is way better glass out there, but I think I’ve gotten the most for my money.

I wonder if the new NL pures from swarovski will change peoples outlook on the 12s. As someone stated earlier the 12's dont have the field of view as the 10s, or the magnification of the 15s. However the new NL pure 12x42 has an improved field of view greater than the previous 10x42 EL. I haven't made up my mind yet on what to do. I run 10s and 15s but wish i had 12s alot to save weight.

Rubben15

FNG
Great thoughts! 12x seems like the way to go. My preferred strategy is to always bring a partner and split the carrying load to get the different magnification 😆

Great write up. I only wish 12x50s worked for me. I just got back from an Elk hunt where I borrowed a buddies 12x50 Razor HDs, and he came up to give me a hand (really just mentor me) and he brought his 12x50 ELs. The entire hunt, looking through either bino, I either wished it had a little less power, or more, depending on where the game was. The ELs were amazing optically and were far more usable, but I had the same problem with them. What I don’t know is if 15x56s will fix part of the problem, or if I’m going to have to jump to a spotting scope.