12X or 10X binos???

Jdoc

Lil-Rokslider
So i find myself in a conundrum and going back and forth with myself on the matter. Do i buy 12X or 10X binos, please help me decide? I own a set of 10X42 at the moment and find myself wanting a little more sometimes. I don't own a spotter and may or may not get one but want a set of top tier glass first. Those of you that have owned both what's your thoughts? I only carry one set, i hunt Ca, AK, UT and TX at the moment. Do you notice the extra weight around your neck, does it make a big difference in the fov out at distinct and are they too much up close inside 100Y, do you feel you see the details of game better when it matters? Any and all help is welcome here, i plan on getting a nice set to last me the next 15-20 years so it is a big purchase for me.

DavePwns

WKR
You would be happy with either, as they are both very versatile, just depends on your use. For me I have 12s EL and 10s SLC. I use each differently.

12x50 EL are for...
Glassing from tripod more than 90% of the time.
Glassing intensive hunts
Open country mule deer or bear hunting.

10 x 42 SLC
Elk bow hunting
Saves about 7oz of weight when oz counting
Still hunting
A good backup pair for a friend/relative to join a glassing session
Pig hunting

If I had to pick 1 out of the 2 it would be the EL 12x50 specifically because I love glassing from a tripod and the flat field of view is much better for my eyes. The 10x42 NL may be the best binocular on earth right now since it's FOV is quite a bit better, I have not tried it but have heard great things. I personally would not do 12x42 for inadequate light gathering reasons. I hope this helps, having a good pair of binos is big purchase but a very important investment.

Tahoe1305

WKR
So I had the same issue. Settled on the best $1000ish pair of 12x I could find (meostars) because I wanted more too.

Problem was you restrict FOV a bit and gain some weight and size and make hand holding a bit harder.

If you can afford it, the ELs solve some of those issues. They are 1/4 lb lighter a tad smaller, have more FOV and better edge to edge clarity and open bridge holds easier.

I think personally if you want to step up to 12x it makes more sense to get the best glass you can afford. Typically better glass at lower power will resolve as good as higher power lower glass (from what I’ve seen).

I had my spotter out tonight looking at some features at 800yds and my ELs could resolve a good amount of what my spotter could because the glass is just better. No it’s not a replacement but IF you want to go spotterless get the best you can afford.

OP
Jdoc

Jdoc

Lil-Rokslider
So i do not own a tripod as of yet, that will be another larger item to get. However i do have a trecking poll that i put a 1/4-20 mount in to use as a monopod on the go. Most of my glassing at the moment is freehand and on the go when i am covering ground. At the moment i have it narrowed down to Leica or Swarovski yet still not sure on power.

Tahoe1305

WKR
So i do not own a tripod as of yet, that will be another larger item to get. However i do have a trecking poll that i put a 1/4-20 mount in to use as a monopod on the go. Most of my glassing at the moment is freehand and on the go when i am covering ground. At the moment i have it narrowed down to Leica or Swarovski yet still not sure on power.

IMO 12x require a tripod. You can handhold but you NEED a tripod for scanning (vs a quick look) and then they are magic.

Mine is a 2lb cheap vortex and it works great except in heavy wind. There are better more expensive out there.

If you don’t want to use a tripod. Get 10s IMO.

The difference from 10x and 12x in weight can be made up in a decent low weight bino carrier. My ELs in a ridgetop bino harness is the same weight as old 10x in a AGC.

Last edited:

Mythewood

FNG
I've been using Leica Duovids 8-12x42's for the last few years and find the 12 great for zooming in on something but if you don't have a stable rest it's too jumpy. Bow works well enough most times but if you're going to use it for long glasses on 12 you'd be better served with a tripod.image.jpeg

Rangerpants

Lil-Rokslider
I have both 10s and 12s, the 10s are from the now defunct Eagle Optics brand, and the 12s are ~$300 Nikons. Since I got the 12s, I've never gone back to the 10s. The weight on my two pairs is similar, I have no issues hand holding the 12 power binos, and they are WAY better when using a tripod.

My guess is you would be happy with whatever you end up with.

Beendare

WKR
I've used them all. Those Swaro 12x could be the best bino they make...incredible in the right hunting scenario.

My take; it depends on how versatile you want them to be...and how you hunt.

If most of your hunting is sitting up high glassing...then yeah...12x excels. Otherwise no.

The 12x isn't versatile enough for me. I mostly use a 8x and 10x.... ideal powers for my style of various hunts. My guide buddy that sits up on mountain tops 300 days a year loves the 12x and BTX's.

______

TheGDog

WKR
If most of your hunting is sitting up high glassing...then yeah...12x excels. Otherwise no.

Agree with this statement. Although I'd say 15x. Sometimes I'll head-out with a compact DiamondBack 8x28mm for hand-held checks, and have 15x w/ Tripod in the pack for once I've decided on a spot to sit on facing a ridge I wanna scan thru.

But if pack weight start becoming an issue... 10x it is.