12x or 15x binos for Deer?

IdahoElk

WKR
Always used my 10x42 Vortex but was thinking of upgrading to something larger, what do you guys like for glassing deer within 1/2 mile? this would be in lieu of carrying both binos and a spotter.
- Would like to use a Tripod at times.
Appreciate any opinions.

marktole

WKR
12s get my vote, but I always felt like 15s were too much the middle ground cause I really like using a spotter.

Lots of guys here will probably pitch in for 15s, they’re legit. But I think it probably boils down to what you can handhold the best.

FWIW, inside 1/2 mile (so 880 yards for a little perspective), 10s should be plenty to spot deer. 12s will make 880 yards feel like it’s in your face. 15s will be crazy for glassing stuff at that “close” range.

Use my 15s for glassing for open country. Spotting scope gets used for clarification or confirmation only.

Depending on the terrain and animal size, there’s a strong likelihood of missing a lot of game with lower magnification (assuming the same glass quality).

Run what works for you.

7raptor

Lil-Rokslider
NL 12's if you can afford.

I've really enjoyed the 12X Razor HDs.

10s are more stable, but 12s are really nice for anything open.

tdot

WKR
For 880 yards and under then the 12x would shine. Increased FOV, potential for handhold and chest carry, lighter. The increased magnification of the 15x would as likely be a detriment rather then a benefit at those ranges.

Blue72

WKR
I always said that 15x is the start of big views in binoculars

However, 12x is very handholdable. Plus a nice 12x42 is compact and light as a 8x42.

but since you already own 10x, a tripod is the better investment at the distance your looking at

I run 12's now. Hunt mostly desert and can easily spot deer a mile out. Or things that look like deer and use my spotter to confirm. I mostly hand hold my 12's but when I know I'm looking 1/2 Mike or farther and want to really pick things apart they are amazing on a tripod. I've looked at getting 15s but then I would 10s also. I really think 12s and a spotter are the perfect combo. But I could easily just use the 12s and not have the spotter.

TheGDog

WKR
1/2 mile? Which is 880yds right? A pair of top tier binos in 10x would do that easily.

In Open Desert Hills country the 15x are a treat!

I'd just say, if you find that you can hand hold the 12x's decently.. even if you've been huffin and puffin.. without too much shake? Then go for those 12's and just have that be your one and done solution. With 15x hand-holding is very shaky and kinda hard on your eyes a bit.

When using the top-tier glass, even for a 10x... you can see far enough away that a lot of times you have to ask yourself if you think you can traverse the distance to over there within the confines of a single day. Depending on how rugged (translation STEEP and full of chapparal or deadfall) the country presents with.

Always used my 10x42 Vortex but was thinking of upgrading to something larger, what do you guys like for glassing deer within 1/2 mile? this would be in lieu of carrying both binos and a spotter.
- Would like to use a Tripod at times.
Appreciate any opinions.
I think you'd be shocked at what you'll be able to spot with a good pair of 10's on a tripod. I spotted elk at (gps verified) 2.25 miles away with my mine last month.

OP
IdahoElk

IdahoElk

WKR
I think you'd be shocked at what you'll be able to spot with a good pair of 10's on a tripod. I spotted elk at (gps verified) 2.25 miles away with my mine last month.
I think you're probably right, a good set of 10's is what I'm leaning towards now and a tripod.
Thanks

mp12

FNG
Between those two, 12s. If you're at the lower end of the vortex bino range (ie 10x diamondbacks), then if you upgraded to 10x razors you should have plenty of clarity to ID bucks/bulls within a half mile, but you gain a larger FOV. Especially on a tripod. The 15s would need to be on a tripod most of the time also - they get annoying if you're hand holding them a lot.

TheGDog

WKR
Personally I'd also recommend investing in the Outdoorsman's Micro Pan Head and Tall Bino Adapter.

NOTE: The handle of the Micro Pan Head is a hollow tube. If a wind kicks up it can whistle a lil. To shut that up you can shoot some expanding window sealer foam in there, then trim off expanded excess.

Deer are a wee bit smaller than elk. This becomes a bigger issue when deer are bedded and/or (partially) obscured by vegetation.

Shraggs

WKR
For 880 yards and under then the 12x would shine. Increased FOV, potential for handhold and chest carry, lighter. The increased magnification of the 15x would as likely be a detriment rather then a benefit at those ranges.
I agree too. Half mile my limit for field judgment with 12, but very capable. if hand holding I wouldn’t use 15s not for longer then a few seconds at a time.

ScottP

WKR
I sold my 15s and went to 12s and a spotter for mule deer. It’s working great for me.

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt in CO and TX. I have used 10x42 Vortex Razor HD's for the last several years, and I upgrades to 12x42 NL Pure 12x42 this year.

I watch mule deer daily from my house at close to 800 yards. And when I hunt in TX, I am usually glassing between 50-300 yards.

The NL's provide great detail especially in low light conditions.